As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splitting a PDF

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hopefully simple problem. I want to split a 156 MB pdf into chapters (around 30-60 pages per) so that I can hopefully easily open them through pdf apps on my LG Ally (it can't handle 156 MB PDFs it seems). I've tried doing a Google search and decided instead of trying to wade through countless demos, free programs and ones I have to pay for, I would see if anyone here knows of any useful and free programs that I could use to split a PDF.

KurnDerak on

• Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Try the Adobe Acrobat trial version, I had to do this at work.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another option would be to use CudePDF Writer (or other free PDF creation tool). Print out just the sections of the PDF you want to a new PDF.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another free one is FoxIt (well I think it's still free). Doesn't use too many system resources too.

Darksier on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the help. It turns out the book (CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide in case you're curious) is password protected so that I can't split it, copy text or otherwise edit it at all.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Can you read it? Can you print it?

If yes, you an split it.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've tried printing to create a new file, it won't work. If I have the "Print to File" option selected, which made sense at the time, it creates a new file of some unrecognizable type which adobe can't open. If I don't have that option selected, it pops up a quick word file which tells me
    %%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%
    This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.
    Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.
    %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
    %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I use PDF Split and Merge (http://www.pdfsam.org) and while the interface is kind of clunky it works great for me.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yea, that is one of the ones I tried and one of the ones that didn't do anything due to its security. I'm just going to have to live with having to find apps that won't die trying to load it like the Adobe app does, which is odd since its well, Adobe's.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have you tried using CutePDF Writer (which was mentioned above)? It installs a virtual printer to your computer that outputs PDFs instead of data to an actual printer.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Have you tried using CutePDF Writer (which was mentioned above)? It installs a virtual printer to your computer that outputs PDFs instead of data to an actual printer.

This is a good idea. If CutePDF Writer doesn't work, the one that I normally use is Bullzip PDF Printer.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    foxit is the best.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I tried CutePDF and it wouldn't work. When I try to print with it I just get a 2 page PDF that stays:
    ERROR: undefined
    OFFENDING COMMAND: get
    STACK:
    /quit
    -dictionary-
    -mark
    FoxIt does seem to work, except that it keeps freezing at about 32 pages after going very slowly.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I tried CutePDF and it wouldn't work. When I try to print with it I just get a 2 page PDF that stays:
    ERROR: undefined
    OFFENDING COMMAND: get
    STACK:
    /quit
    -dictionary-
    -mark
    FoxIt does seem to work, except that it keeps freezing at about 32 pages after going very slowly.

Only print the pages you want in each section, dont reprint the whole PDF.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have been, the first Chapter is 85 pages, and I believe every chapter after is around 25-50.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Maybe break it into 30-page sections?

Six on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have you tried PDFill?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I guess I didn't google hard enough. Adobe Pro and Foxit were falling apart as they both started freezing before even starting to print.

Then I found A-PDF Split. It did the job in less then 30 seconds. Sure, I have to live with a watermark at the top of the first page of each PDF but this has taken 5 hours to do what should have been something damn simple.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    JumiTKRJumiTKR Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    There are many ways you refer to split pdf file. Generally, you can split the ways into three types.
    !.PDF editor
    You can use Acrobat or Foxit editor to split pdf file in .pdf format, the operation is a little complex and the software is not cheap, I have no idea that the tria version would help you a lot. Just a trial.
    2.PDF converter to word
    You can split pdf in Word process, I think word process can help you do that work bettter than PDF process. there are many free pdf to word converter converter you can refer to, just like online software zamzar.com and offline software PDF to Word Converter, which can help you well. Of course, you can use OpenOffice,which can help you save pdf as word freely.
    3. PDF Splitter
    PDF spliter is designed for splitting PDF by different ways, you can split it by page range, bookmarks and chapters. It all depends. Google is good buddy and would help you find appropriate application. Anyway, I suggest you a program I have ever used, you can take it for reference.
    http://www.anypdftools.com/pdf-splitter.html

JumiTKR on
This discussion has been closed.