As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead] Season one is over "Man I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again"

1585960616264»

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Waffen wrote: »
    So lets take guesses to what the Doc whispered to Grimes? I bet its "Your wife is pregnant".
    It's pretty obvious to me that
    He wanted to tell Rick that they were all infected. That's why he wanted them to die. There was no hope for them of ever being cured.

Also, it goes to their earlier conversation where Rick asks him about the blood tests and the doc doesn't tell him they were negative; he tells him that they "went as expected".

He knew they were infected from the get-go.

edit: possibilities of what the doc said to Rick; book spoilers
    Absolutely. Considering that that's the whole point of the name of the series, I really hope that's how they do it. Worked really well in the books.

I would contest your meaning of the book's title...
    It's not "The Walking Dead" because they are all infectious carriers, but rather a little more metaphorical. He has an outburst in front of everyone, coming off of an episode where he shot Dexter, a thread to their group from within, and gets called out for it. His speech is about what it's going to take to survive versus preserving their humanity. The way he sees it, they are surrounded by the dead struggling to survive and the moment they give in, give up, they will become the dead. Until then, they wrestle with the grizzly nature of survival not realizing they too are as good as dead.

He refers to them all as the walking dead because of the hopeless, inevitability of it all.

But I agree, it was a pretty poignant moment in the story.

Oh man, I totally worked out that this was the case in the first episode. /smug

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fair warning - I'm about to flail my arms in some sort of fit of nerd rage in this post because this thread is driving me nuts (luv you guys).
    Why are people having such a hard time with the CDC exploding? Sure, that's probably not real (though we'd never know) but you know what else isn't real? FUCKING ZOMBIES! The endless armchair expert posturing in this thread is ridiculous. I also don't care if the grenade would've killed Rick in real life - I'm watching a zombie show, not Mythbusters. As for the whole "Rick is zombie-jesus" thing - no way. Think about it. Wouldn't that kind of revelation make the CDC actually want to carry on with them? He'd been looking for a cure and Rick would've been his best lead. Finally I'm betting the whisper was both "you're already infected" and "your wife's pregnant and it's not yours".

Phew, nerd rage subsiding..

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My theory on the whisper
    Doc had lots of security cameras. For instance, in the rec room where Shane and the wife had their interaction

On the explosion wankery
    The building was larger than a block, the explosion was deep under ground and they were over a hundred yards from the building behind sandbags. The focus of the blast isn't in the lobby, its deep underground and what you saw was what bubbled up, and would be (and was) largely directed upwards. The Mother Of All Bombs blast radius was 150 M and there's no reason to believe they'd use a 10 ton bomb.

And the grenade was dropped into a concrete recess, and Rick was a ~6 seconds run from where he dropped it. The shrapnel was blocked from getting to him and he's be on the edge of the wound radius anyway.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey guys because we're suspending our disbelief of what's possible we should also suspend our disbelief of what's probable. Maybe in the premiere next season Rick can throw tanks at zombies and backflip onto a building.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    CDC guy
    really well acted, I like how they got a great character actor for that role. I also liked the little dig at the American stereotype of the French in that they didn't "run" but rather kept working. The fact he thought they had a solution almost is a leap I hope they don't take as the comic never touches that idea.

I am convinced it was "your wifes pregnant" at the end, he would be super pissed as he would know that it couldn't be his, or could it? their first night back in camp, how long does it take to show up?

If it's "you are all infected" then that's not a shock to me, I was assuming this world was one where all the dead rose at once / rise at once and that's how it spread so fast, in which case all the living will rise on death and all are "infected".

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Have they made any substantive detours from the comic which would prevent them from more or less following the book's storyline from now on?

I can't think of any.

I think mostly it's the addition of characters and someone still being alive. Although Allen and his family have been taken out, which removes a lot of interesting stuff from the comics.

Ecko on
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Explosions:
    I can't believe anyone is complaining about the grenade. Rick puts it down against the window and runs because (lots of) people that watch TV are dumb and need it to happen that way so they understand what is going on and how the problem is being solved.

There is no story-driven reason they couldn't have lobbed the grenade at the window from a safe distance....The only reason they didn't is for filming purposes. It was do it this way, or film them throwing the grenade, and show it bounce/roll up to the window, and have it go off while they have their fingers in their ears around a corner or something, which just wouldn't work as well either visually or with the flow of "We have to get out of here!" escape shenanigans.

I would have thought anyone on this board would have seen enough movies and TV to know that people running away from an explosion and getting knocked away by its blast was narrative shorthand for "They were juuuuuuust far enough away to be safe."

Guitar Hero Of Time on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Whisper
    If I turns out that it was about how they're all already infected, that utterly kills the shock and surprise from when they find out later on. "Oh hay guys, I know this guy was totally killed by a bullet, but we should probably shoot him in he head too. Just a hunch, ya know?"

You know, I'd prefer that to what I think it is (as has been said by others):
    Lori is pregnant. I really hope they don't go down this road to create conflict between characters. Aren't there enough OTHER ways to create it? The "wife is pregnant thing by another dude" is a bit overdone these days...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think he told him his wife was pregnant or almost got raped (I'm sure those rooms have cameras in them). Though, the whole "You are dead already" seems to make sense too. Maybe his baby and himself are the cure, if it's even his baby.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Explosions:
    I can't believe anyone is complaining about the grenade. Rick puts it down against the window and runs because (lots of) people that watch TV are dumb and need it to happen that way so they understand what is going on and how the problem is being solved.

There is no story-driven reason they couldn't have lobbed the grenade at the window from a safe distance....The only reason they didn't is for filming purposes. It was do it this way, or film them throwing the grenade, and show it bounce/roll up to the window, and have it go off while they have their fingers in their ears around a corner or something, which just wouldn't work as well either visually or with the flow of "We have to get out of here!" escape shenanigans.

I would have thought anyone on this board would have seen enough movies and TV to know that people running away from an explosion and getting knocked away by its blast was narrative shorthand for "They were juuuuuuust far enough away to be safe."
    Not that I'm happy about that scene...but if they just threw the grenade at the window, wouldn't there be a pretty high chance that it would bounce off/roll away from the window?

Ecko on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    There is no cure, this whole episode was designed to get that question out of the way. There's no hope. The only thing there is now is survival, the main focus of the comic.

Despite some being against is, the whisper is most likely
    That Lori is pregnant because, in the comic, she gets pregnant by shane.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If everything on TV/movies was realistic, it would be boring and the main character would rarely survive the first couple episodes. I'm surprised some people here even bother watching TV or movies at all the way they complain.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    There is no cure, this whole episode was designed to get that question out of the way. There's no hope. The only thing there is now is survival, the main focus of the comic.

You also can't see the future, so, there's that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    Completely relevant, Bowen. Way to go.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Completely relevant, Bowen. Way to go.

It sure is. Was there a CDC storyline in the comics? So uh, yeah.

bowen on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    bowen wrote: »

You're ideas are also fucking shit, so there's that.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

You're ideas are also fucking shit, so there's that.

To which I chime, no u.

bowen on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kirkman said in a recent interview that he'd like to find a way to write Merle and Darryl into the comics.

I would support this

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Darryl is the best, so yes.

bowen on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Kirkman said in a recent interview that he'd like to find a way to write Merle and Darryl into the comics.

I would support this

So that means that Merle
    isn't the Governor?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Guys, I am locking this thread. Someone can start it up again after noon CST (aka 1 eastern, 6pm GMT). Take the two hours off and reflect on what we can do to make discussion of the zombie TV show more pleasant.

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.