As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Runewars PbP] Game 03 - Battle of Ru Steppes

1192021222325»

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mok notices another hero drawing near, and focuses his attention on the interloper.

Use special to view the Rewards held by Mad Carthos, since we're in the same area.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mok looks concerned at the weaponry wielded by the newcomer and keeps an eye on the stranger as he journeys south from the area.

Arriving at the Sacred Bog, he attempts to infiltrate the local village.
    Stranger and Stranger - Deep in the forest lies the pristine waters of the Sacred Bog of Bator. Heads on sticks serve as reminders of how much the inhabitants like visitors. - Test wisdom: Sun – A clever use of face paint helps the hero blend in. Receive Reward; Shield – They really do not like visitors. Take 1 damage. If not defeated, receive Reward.; Dragon – Take 2 damage. If not defeated, receive Reward.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He moves through the swamp like a shadow, never noticed by the natives.

Sun! (last card in the deck; shuffling for new)
    Dragon
    Sun!

Choose the second Sun! Receive reward

Darian on
  • Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The map:
    Runewars-Penny-Game3.gif

Order time!

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Two orders are in, but they should be plenty, based on the intentions sent by Darian.

The Elves use Strategize; no one else can go before they do.

Go for it.

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't like the sound of this...

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ronan reports back to his superiors that he has gathered a veritable trove of treasures, enough to trade on the black market for a Dragon Rune. The new rune is built into a monument for the people lost in the Blasted City, and the Latari declare a day of celebration, as they now control enough runes to ensure their domination of the land.

Use the power of Captain of the Heroes League
    During your turn, you may discard 3 Reward cards from any of your heroes to gain 1 dragon rune (once per turn).

Discard all three of Ronan's rewards for a new Dragon Rune, which will be placed in 1C

Declare victory with 7 runes controlled

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    LATARI WINS

That's two wins for you now, eh?

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Given I wasn't about to win anyway, I guess that is for the best.

Though I don't get to have the fun I was going to have this turn- I was going to play the recruit order, first building a stronghold near Waiqar's home territory using a tactics card, and using the troops behind his lines to harrass him :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yep!

Thanks for hosting this again, and good game, all. Interesting that I was able to do well focusing on influence (and being ready for the Winter rune opportunities) and basically ignoring the tactics deck.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, the famous "El Skid fuckery" manoeuvre. :D

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, the famous "El Skid fuckery" manoeuvre. :D

"I may not win, but you won't be able to either! Haha!" :D

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Yep!

Thanks for hosting this again, and good game, all. Interesting that I was able to do well focusing on influence (and being ready for the Winter rune opportunities) and basically ignoring the tactics deck.

This is the second game I've lost concentrating too much on the tactics deck.

Part of that is not getting the right cards, and part of it is I should have been concentrating on winning instead
    Ooooo...shiny cards

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's really all about the Runes; the only offensive actions I took this game were to secure the cities I needed for my secret objective and then to reclaim the rune that Uthuk snagged from me. Then a lucky winter card after I snagged those neutrals sealed the deal.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The secret objective always determines my strategy for the game. I hate getting the one that requires me to kill someone's final Hero in a duel. I'm invariably playing someone new when I get it and they think I'm being a dick cause I gear up and kill their Hero. :)

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I had the secret objective to get 8 influence. I got 8 influence finally...and the "spend 8 influence for a rune" season card came up.

Amazingly, this is the second time in two games that such a thing has happened to me.

Well played, Darian, and congrats again!

El Skid on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Congrats Darian!

My objective was make it to eight food, when I only had five food in my territory. I tried to trade that and got an objective to own a territory adjacent to my enemy's home.

FFFFUUUUUUU

Both of my starting quests were also across the map.

Regardless, I think emphasis on major territorial pushes is almost always the wrong strategy. Trying to gather influence and quests feels much more random, but seems more likely to result in runes.

admanb on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had to do a major territory push for my objective unfortunately. Good game though, those necromancers and reanimates are brutal all together. I think I was relying on the fall action to gain resources too much in the beginning and didn't understand a good action order. Although this map seemed balanced, it really precluded conflict between people on opposite corners, is this normal in this games?

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's normal in a 4-player game. The map is sizable.

Mordenthral on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, going after someone in the opposite corner in a 4-player game is asking to get crushed and your troops cut off, I wager.

El Skid on