Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

PS3 - HDMI Issue

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
So...is there a known issue where people's HDMI ports just stop working on the PS3? I don't know if it's my cord or not (though it shouldn't be, it's only about a month old), but HDMI is not working at the moment. Component is, and I try to set up my HDMI connection through there, but nothing.

I tried the thing about holding the power button until the second beep (and I've had to do this in the past so I know how that works), but nothing is coming up this time.

Alternatively: since I am stuck using component cables for the moment, why the hell is it that my DVDs, even my widescreen ones, are in fullscreen view when I watch them? Is there a way to switch this back?

UnbreakableVow on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yep, the PS3 is the problem, because the same cable works on the 360 just fine

Anyone have an answer to my second question?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well mine went out when my house took a lightning hit frying my tv the surge shorted the hdmi on the system but left the rest of it intact. Might have been a surge that was just strong enough to cook it. Could try reseating the cable just to see if it causes the system and tv to establish a good hdmi hand off.

As for the DVD issue when in play back bring up the menu make sure you arn't zoomed in. I'll get back to you if I find anyother settings that could cause it to full screen.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's not zoomed in

I mean, okay, for example:

Watching a DVD that I watched last night, when HDMI worked. It typically fills up the entire screen, because it is a widescreen DVD of a TV show.

Except now it's showing black bars on either side of the screen, basically pretending like it is a fullscreen show (when it is not).

EDIT: Also we had pretty bad storms today, so I bet that's what happened.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    Okay, fixed the problem. Had to change a setting on the TV rather than the PS3 to put it into widescreen mode. Never had to do that before.

But it works, and I know now that my PS3 HDMI port is fucked.

Mods may lock this!

UnbreakableVow on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DVDs can't be upconverted over Component, it's some sort of stupid license law or something.

So the PS3 can only show it at like native 480p ugliness over an analog.

Same issue with X-Box 360 for movies (or HD-DVDs if you have it).

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the picture's a little fuzzier than it is with HDMI, but miles better than it looked on the 360 just now (even with HDMI)

UnbreakableVow on
    edited June 2010
    At least BD still looks good over Component. Yeah I'm waiting for something a bit more serrious before sending it into sony. Do miss my upscaled dvds from time to time.

Edit: If you do decide to send in your ps3 for the hdmi. Remember the backup utility only gets music video and non copy protected ps3 saves. Any ps2 or ps1 saves on your system need to be backed up manualy.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's not zoomed in

Watching a DVD that I watched last night, when HDMI worked. It typically fills up the entire screen, because it is a widescreen DVD of a TV show.

Except now it's showing black bars on either side of the screen, basically pretending like it is a fullscreen show (when it is not).

Um. Widescreen is with the bars. Fullscreen has no bars.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited June 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    Well, it's not zoomed in

Um. Widescreen is with the bars. Fullscreen has no bars.

Bars on the sides not top and bottom. His tv was forcing 4:3 ratio.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm stupid. Thread lock time

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did you go into the PS3 settings and tell it to use HDMI? My power was killed during a storm and I had to change the settings back to use HDMI cable.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Did you go into the PS3 settings and tell it to use HDMI? My power was killed during a storm and I had to change the settings back to use HDMI cable.

This happened to me as well. I had a storm kill my power, and when I booted my PS3 back up, it told me it needed to completely reset my settings. Once I had done that, I needed to go back in and tell it to use HDMI.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, did that. Nothing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Weird, I had the same thing happen to me recently. I actually thought the HDMI cables I just bought were busted so I had another one sent to me. Check on the SONY message boards and they recommended unplugging the TV and PS3 and letting it sit for awhile to depower and then try again. It worked for me. I also got some compressed air and blew out the HDMI slot because I read that dust can be an issue too.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, my PS3 HDMI craps out at random. Simply wiggling the TV-side input brings it back. I followed the steps thepassenger did, but it still happens at occasionally. It's almost always when switching display modes, as well.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Litany wrote: »
    Yeah, my PS3 HDMI craps out at random. Simply wiggling the TV-side input brings it back. I followed the steps thepassenger did, but it still happens at occasionally. It's almost always when switching display modes, as well.

mine does this also, but it's the TV failing the hcp or whatever it's called "handshake" is my guess. only happens switching modes like you say. If I turn the TV off and then back on, it will work, hence my guess that it's re-doing the handshake.

tetsuoZshima on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Hold power in for 1 min, should cycle a couple times. Take finger off, boot it, should go through. PS3 is known to drop HDMI video. you have to force it, once it goes back on, auto set the resolution, reboot again, thank me later.

It's an HDCP issue, and there is no logic to the PS3's garbage, but it will total it. I have to reset mine 5 or more times to get rid of it.

nstf on