As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On?] Armed Assault

HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Hello all

I do not normally post here but I noticed there was no thread about Armed Assault. So I thought I would get the ball rolling...

Armed Assault, or ArmA, is a tactical FPS developed by Bohemia Interactive. ArmA simulates large scale tactical battles in a massive environment using realistic weapons and vehicles. Armed Assault was actually suppose to be the sequel to Operation Flashpoint. However, Codemasters owns the Flashpoint name so BI Studios wasn't able to use it. Anyone who has ever played Flashpoint will have a good understanding of how ArmA plays since it is very similiar to Flashpoint.

Recently, BIS released a multiplayer demo which supports 3 game modes, up to 64 players and a dedicated server. Traditional flare like Capture the Flag and Coop modes are available along with a game mode called Capture the Island.

CtI takes place all over the demo island where 64+ players in 2 teams attempt to capture points scattered about the island using teamwork, squads of ai and/or players, and an assortment of vehicles. First team to capture all the points, which are held by an aggressive faction towards both teams, wins the match.

If you'd like to learn more about ArmA or download the demo, you can visit the official site via the link I posted below.

If anyones interested in gathering for a mp session in the demo, we can organize here and plan a time and place to have a game.

I'll add and refine the OP as I get more time and info. Or if any requests or made to add and/or change anything.

arma_header.jpg
Title: Armed Assault
Developer: Bohemia Interactive Studios
Genre: First Person Tactical Shooter
Features: Massive Environment (400sq km), Large Scale Multiplayer (100+players), 30+ weapons, 30+ multi-manned vehicles, multiple game modes, extensive game editor

Release Dates and Publishers:
Czech Republic, Slovakia: Bohemia Interactive (10th Nov. 2006)
Austria, Germany, Switzerland: Morphicon (30th Nov. 2006)
Poland: Lem (15th December 2006)
Russia: Akella (28th December 2006)
EU & Others: 505 Games (16th February 2007)
Australia: Red Ant (February 2007)
Taiwan: Atari (Q1 2007)
Singapur: Atari (Q1 2007)

Requirements:
* 2 GHz or better Intel or AMD processor
* 512 MB of memory.
* nVidia Geforce FX with 128 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better
* ATI Radeon 9500 with 128 MB of RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better
* 3 GB of Disk space (or more as needed for downloadable add-ons)
* Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
* DirectX 9.0c

Links: Armed Assault Home, ArmA Gallery, Armed Assault Wiki, BI Forums Photo Thread

Harakhti on

• Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Downloading now but won't have time to play it much tonight, so I'll probably check it out tomorrow. Realistic shooters are awesome, so this could be great.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My friend was playing this yesturday and said it sucked. I trust his oppinion on war games since he has played every damn one.

Arma is a stupid name.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    GertBeef wrote:
    My friend was playing this yesterday and said it sucked. I trust his opinion on war games since he has played every damn one.

ArmA is a stupid name.

Tactical FPS games have always been an acquired taste. Even more so when it comes to Flashpoint and its ilk. Most people I've seen usually write the games off after only spending a short period of time with them because of usually the look and feel of em.

BIS games have always leaned towards simulating a virtual battlefield which is where most people get turned off. Theres a reason why the US Marine Corp, ADF, IDF, US Coast Guard and dozens of other organizations use a variation of Flashpoint for training.

It is by no means perfect but those who can look past any possible short comings of the BIS games will find a collection of challenging and fun tactical shooters that could occupy them for months.

Harakhti on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Harakhti wrote:
    GertBeef wrote:
    My friend was playing this yesterday and said it sucked. I trust his opinion on war games since he has played every damn one.

ArmA is a stupid name.

Tactical FPS games have always been an acquired taste. Even more so when it comes to Flashpoint and its ilk. Most people I've seen usually write the games off after only spending a short period of time with them because of usually the look and feel of em.

BIS games have always leaned towards simulating a virtual battlefield which is where most people get turned off. Theres a reason why the US Marine Corp, ADF, IDF, US Coast Guard and dozens of other organizations use a variation of Flashpoint for training.

It is by no means perfect but those who can look past any possible short comings of the BIS games will find a collection of challenging and fun tactical shooters that could occupy them for months.

But my friend likes Operation Flashpoint. I'm so conflicted. Maybe i should play this one myself.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    GertBeef wrote:
    But my friend likes Operation Flashpoint. I'm so conflicted. Maybe i should play this one myself.

Hm.. that's interesting considering ArmA is very similar to Flashpoint. It moves and reacts a little differently but not by much. I'd say ArmA definitely needs some tweaking and polishing but thats a given considering its not the final build were talking about. Only way to know would be to see for yourself.

It'd probably benefit any interested parties to read the review thats link on the ArmA main page. Armed Assault Review

Harakhti on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Harakhti wrote:
    I'd say ArmA definitely needs some tweaking and polishing but thats a given considering its not the final build were talking about.

Are you sure it's not a final build? I thought this game was released in Europe already?

djklay on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    djklay wrote:

Are you sure it's not a final build? I thought this game was released in Europe already?

Wait, yea you're right. I was thinking the demo was out before release. Came out in Germany and Czech in Nov. OFP saw a similar release. When it finally came out here we already had the content and fixes from european release. No doubt we'll see something similar with ArmA.

I should add the release dates to the OP....

edit: I'd recommend checking out the BI forums photo thread. Theres some awesome pics in there. Added link to OP

Harakhti on
  • Options
    strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I actually ahve the final German version of the game(Broadband distribution++).

I actually liked it better than flashpoint, it just feels better. Certainly feels harder anyway. The AI ranges from completely retarded to insanely good. And the single player storyline isn't quite as involved as Flashpoints. It's told through CNN style news broadcasts, and you get to pick 2 of 3 possible missions to complete(A primary mission, and then 1 of 2 secondary missions).

It's got some bugs and gameplay flaws, but overall it's really quite fun.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Playing OFP with 10+ people against some awesome user-made AI is where it's at.

But my video card had to die on me.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Playing OFP with 10+ people against some awesome user-made AI is where it's at.

But my video card had to die on me.

You speak truly. Even with just a few friends it could be a blast. Jumping into the editor and throwing together a quick furball with WWI biplanes was awesome.

ArmA looks to continue that tradition. Especially since most(all?) of the OFP addons are compatible with ArmA.

Harakhti on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    I liked OpF, I tried ArmA, it lagged like a bitch so I gave up.

bombardier on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just wanted to bump this old thread to see if anyone was still playing this game. I just got into it, and after getting past the initial headaches, I'm having a good time with it.

Yall on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, i like it too.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I guess I should have been a bit more to the point: Are any PA'ers actively playing this, or are any of you interested in joining up with myself and some other folks for some co-op/clan type action?

Yall on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, very much so. :) PM me?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just here to post pictures. Don't mind me.

Linked because they're HUUUUUUUUUGE:

A-10 Warthog Flying

Soldier Firing

Helicopter Touchdown

Those are all from dslyecxi's awesome Armed Assault Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide, well worth a read to get anyone fired up about playing ArmA.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, I remember playing the demo for this a while ago. It was crazy fun. I'll definitely give it another download later and will be up for some PA game ons.

EDIT: Are you guys playing the demo or the full game?

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Voranth wrote: »
    Oh man, I remember playing the demo for this a while ago. It was crazy fun. I'll definitely give it another download later and will be up for some PA game ons.

EDIT: Are you guys playing the demo or the full game?

I'm playing the full game. I've actually been playing with some guys from the Layfeyette Federation on a co-op server, and it's hella fun. I was actually surprised at how fun it was.

Here is their website if you are interested. Just join their forum and they will welcome you aboard if you play by the rules and don't act like a jerk:

http://www.lafayettefederation.com/news.php

Yall on
  • Options
    Chainsaw WabbitChainsaw Wabbit Rogue Academic Level 12 are not what they seemRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just got this and it made me stay up very, very late last night. Good lord, is it unforgiving! I don't think I've ever had my ass brutally handed to me so many times in such rapid succession before [leave room for bath-house joke here]. Shows you what the bad guys in GRAW must feel like, constantly getting popped between the eyes from insane distances because the other guys just happen to have a magic visor that SUPERIMPOSES A RED FUCKING DIAMOND ON YOU FROM A BAZILLION KLICKS AWAY. Not very sporting, old chap.

So why the hell do I keep playing? Mainly masochism, I would guess. But also, for all its warts and shortcomings---hit-and-miss scripting, Stephen Hawking AI voices, merciless system requirements, and so forth---there's just something about this game I can't quite put my finger on. Flying a Super Cobra over wooded valleys and ocean cliffs, coming to a hover behind a ridge, popping up, laying waste to an entire enemy armored column, landing next the the burning remains, getting out of the cockpit and looting the corpse of some poor sap who got thrown clear when his BMP-2 went poof, that's just so...wholesomely entertaining. Of course, to get to that point, you will have had to endure 23 failed attempts at this same mission because some bastard machinegunner, completely invisible in the forest, keeps redecorating your chopper. But that just makes it more rewarding when you finally survive.

I guess.

By the way, if anyone here is still playing this, I hit on the perfect helicopter control scheme: Left hand mouse, right hand a joystick with at least four buttons in addtion to the trigger, for up/down throttle and left/right rudder (I guess a twist grip would work well for the rudder too). Turn freelook on as soon as you get into the chopper, and use the mouse to...uh, freely look. Makes maneuvering and landing in tight spaces much easier. But unless you're a real helicopter pilot, don't be shy about using the auto-hover, or you'll be eating a lot of trees.

While getting shot.

From great distances.

By unseen enemies.

So help me, I think I want to play another mission.
    NOOOOOO!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

Chainsaw Wabbit on