As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox360 Freezing

Saint JusticeSaint Justice MercenaryMah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So My xbox360 has suddenly stopped working a few days ago. It will turn on and do the 360 logo screen but then freezes when I'm loading up the Xbox live menus. There is no error code or red lights or anything of that nature. It simply freezes up and won't shut down or do anything unless I manually turn it off by the power button on the console itself (as opposed to the controller) The controller does work in starting the system up, however.

If it helps, the unit is one of the very first ones: Xbox 360 "Premium' w/ 20 GB HDD, purchased it in January 2006. This being the case, I'm sure it is out of warranty now. Please help me determine the problem & solution, fellow Arcadians!

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
Saint Justice on

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sounds like if it hasn't red-ringed yet, it's about to. That's what mine was doing a few weeks prior to my first RROD.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mine too, Frenchenstein.

So far as I know, Saint, it just means that your Xbox is on its way out. The wise money is pretty much on saving for a new one, at this point.

naporeon on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Consider an external fan (like a simple Honeywell tabletop fan) to blow hot air away from it, but... yeah, you're about to be in the market again.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, its on the way out. The solution is to wait for it to give up the ghost and pay to repair it, or just buy a new one.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So if I just need a new system and don't care about HDD size, should I go w/ an Arcade for $150? Is that the cheapest I can find that still has the newer chip inside the console? I'd be hanging on to my 20GB HDD since the console itself is now a paperweight.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're right, but Microsoft JUST announced a new version of the machine that's out this week. Wait a week before buying a new Arcade because of this, pretty sure the price on them will drop like a stone.

You'll need to use http://www.xbox.com/drm to reassociate all your online content as well, once you switch machines.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    thanks, Will. I'll definitely take a "wait and see" approach. BTW, where would I find this announcement? I guess I'll try the ol' google.

Edit: Just read the announcement. This is great news for me! I may be able to wrangle up a new Arcade system for $100 with this bad boy coming out!

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    At this point, you have to ask yourself if it'd be worth waiting to be able to move up to a bigger HD. There's a 360 coming out with a 250GB HD on it for $300. Just transfer your Gamertag and stuff over.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bad news: your 360 is on it's way out.

Good news: a sexy new 360 is coming out right now (a month after I buy an elite too damnit).

If you're feeling douchy, you can keep your 360 working and trade it in at gamestop for $100 credit toward a new one.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    gamestop does that? Time to transfer everything to a memory stick and head to GameStop.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Crashtard wrote: »

If you're feeling douchy, you can keep your 360 working and trade it in at gamestop for $100 credit toward a new one.

That's the thing though, It freezes up within the first 3-10 seconds when I load it up. Just cause it hasn't red ringed doesn't mean it's not completely broken. So I wouldn't be able to trade it in, anyway.

Saint Justice on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does it still freeze if you power it on without the HDD attached?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jeez, the trade in deal just got a LOT better..

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

Son of a bitch..

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey guess what! No more RROD!!!

but not because they fixed it, they just took the red lights out.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So this new slim Xbox 360 has the wireless internet connection built right in, right? So I wouldn't need the MS wireless network adaptor anymore, right?

Saint Justice on