As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

web hosting

FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
so im wanting to get some web hosting but theres like 8 billion different companies out there and i got no clue where to go.

mostly just want a place to put up some portfolio of programs and pages and a place to just try out new stuff etc.

really only a few things id need it to absolutly have would be good uptime, run IIS as most of what i do is in .net, and have some sort of sql database.

so what do you folks reccomend?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
Foomy on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there is no such thing as good .NET shared hosting ... for under 100 dollars.

I wish I could help you, but I have tried, and especially if you are running multiple .NET apps, it's just a pain in the ass.

Have you checked into Windows Azure? Isn't that Microsoft's .NET cloud shit? Maybe there is a cheap solution there.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    there is no such thing as good .NET shared hosting ... for under 100 dollars.

I wish I could help you, but I have tried, and especially if you are running multiple .NET apps, it's just a pain in the ass.

Have you checked into Windows Azure? Isn't that Microsoft's .NET cloud shit? Maybe there is a cheap solution there.

bleh, thats some crappy news. I know I can get web hosting with php for dirt cheap(like $5 a month) and was hoping there would also be some decent .net hosting around.

just looked at that windows azure thing, and it doesn't really seem to be what I want, or that cheap.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With shared hosts your options are either pay 150 bucks and get unlimited apps and all sorts of cadillac features (and also a 5 dollar charge per 100MB SQL instance).

OR

Get something like Godaddy or 1and1 with only one app instance and you have to either hotswap your apps as you want to test them, or consolidate their collective App_Code's so they don't conflict.

I've used Godaddy before for .NET. It's not pretty. But it will work.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Dr. TrevorkianDr. Trevorkian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    With shared hosts your options are either pay 150 bucks and get unlimited apps and all sorts of cadillac features (and also a 5 dollar charge per 100MB SQL instance).

OR

Get something like Godaddy or 1and1 with only one app instance and you have to either hotswap your apps as you want to test them, or consolidate their collective App_Code's so they don't conflict.

I've used Godaddy before for .NET. It's not pretty. But it will work.
    Too put it lightly, I'd advise against giving GoDaddy your business. Their hosting service is poorly implemented, supported reluctantly at best, and their relentlessly sleazy upselling and marketing campaigns are insulting to say the least.

If you can spring for it, I had a very pleasant time working with MaximumASP some years ago, and haven't heard anything in the interim to make me think their level of service has changed. Looks like their shared hosting is $49/mo these days.

If that's too much money (and I think it is) I don't see any option, outside of co-location or self-hosting, than 1and1.com. They've always given me the impression of one of those thin-margin cheap, shared hosting companies for whom it's a bother to have any non-automated customer interaction, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with shady hosting companies before, so perhaps it's colored my perception. I don't have any first or second-hand experience with them to inform me one way or the other.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Trevorkian on