As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS games...I need them!

ForkesForkes Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, so I need some new games for my DS. And I need your help.

I have no idea what sort of games there are out there for the DS. (I only bought it to beat my roommate at his Pokemoning)

But I have picked up a few that I liked.

I just finished Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It was awesome. I hear there are lots of them now.
I have also finished Henry Watsworth: Puzzling Adventure, Pokemon Pearl and Heartgold, I have one of the Brain Age's and Final Fantasy III.

I mostly play my DS at work, to pass time between calls (call centers suck), so heavy RPGs aren't really my thing. I tried playing Chrono Trigger (or Cross, can't remember which one now) and I couldn't get into it in the limited time I had, but Disgaea DS worked wonderfully.

If it matters, I have a DS lite, so awesome GBA games would work too. I actually played a really sweet GBA game, which I can't remember the name of. It was RPGish, and there were elemental "djinns" that you could summon.

Thanks!

siggy-1.jpg
Forkes on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any of the Dragon Quest games are great RPGs with lots of value. Not too heavy either.

Esh on
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    phoenix wright!!!

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Both Zelda games
    All the Castlevania games
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2
    Contra 4
    Mario Kart
    All Phoenix Wright games

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I will forever recommend Hotel Dusk: Room 215 to anyone who has a DS. There's even a sequel coming out one of these days, which is only very slightly incredibly awesome news.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The RPG you mentioned with the elemental djinns is most likely Golden Sun. There was a sequel to it, as well.

In addition to what others are recommending, I'd get whatever Advance Wars games you can. They're pretty great.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Puzzle Quest
    Mario Kart
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    Any of the Castlevania games
    Picross 3D
    All of the Phoenix Wright games
    Space Invaders Extreme (1 or 2)

For the GBA:
    Boktai
    Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission
    Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The RPG you mentioned with the elemental djinns is most likely Golden Sun. There was a sequel to it, as well.

In addition to what others are recommending, I'd get whatever Advance Wars games you can. They're pretty great.

I think Legend of Mana called the elementals Djinns, too, but I could be wrong

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    None of you have mentioned Elite Beat Agents. This is a travesty. You should get it. Well, if you're into rhythm games. Which I am. Lots.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Definitely the Dragon Quest games, which are just pure fun (not too much grinding, very light, cute styling, and some great, if cliched stories), the Phoenix Wright games (which I've probably played 6-7 times each, and the cases can range in length from 1-2 hours to 6-7 hours), Hotel Dusk, Puzzle Quest, any iteration of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan!...

Janson on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picross DS

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forkes wrote: »

If it matters, I have a DS lite, so awesome GBA games would work too. I actually played a really sweet GBA game, which I can't remember the name of. It was RPGish, and there were elemental "djinns" that you could summon.

Thanks!

The GBA game I'm pretty sure you are think of is Golden Sun. It's pretty spectacular of a game. It is one of the rare few RPG's that I was able to play completely through. It also has a sequel on GBA and hopefully a third soon directly for the DS. I'd recommend that if you want to go for any GBA games. I generally don't like JRPG's, I couldn't even get into either Dragon Quest on the DS, but Golden Sun I couldn't put down.

For a light and fun game New Super Mario Bros. is an absolute must. It's quick and easy and it's a side scrolling Mario game, there really isn't anything wrong about it.

Advance Wars is another game that is pretty awesome if you like a bit of strategy. There are two for DS, but I preferred Days of Ruin, if only because the dialogue was just so terrible in Dual Strike it put me off a lot of the time. But that's just me.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm 4th'ing or 5th'ing the Phoenix Wright games.

I had some fun with Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, so maybe you would too.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    atmaatma Deep RiverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey, so I need some new games for my DS. And I need your help.

I have no idea what sort of games there are out there for the DS. (I only bought it to beat my roommate at his Pokemoning)

But I have picked up a few that I liked.

I just finished Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It was awesome. I hear there are lots of them now.
    I have also finished Henry Watsworth: Puzzling Adventure, Pokemon Pearl and Heartgold, I have one of the Brain Age's and Final Fantasy III.

I mostly play my DS at work, to pass time between calls (call centers suck), so heavy RPGs aren't really my thing. I tried playing Chrono Trigger (or Cross, can't remember which one now) and I couldn't get into it in the limited time I had, but Disgaea DS worked wonderfully.

Thanks!

I really want to help out and type out every recommendation for DS, but there are too too many. You've already gotten really good suggestions

But I have to insist that if the RPGish game you're referring to turns out to be Golden Sun, not only should you consider buying it or borrowing it (there are two parts and thus two games, by the way) you should be fully aware that it is very bloody likely a DS sequel is coming soon. Don't let that slip by you!

Also, ANY of the castlevanias from Circle of the Moon to Order of Ecclesia are pretty worthwhile games, if you've never played a Castlevania after the Super Nintendo days, remember they're like Metroid with Vampires and RPG mechanics. Soooooo good!

atma on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kirby's Canvas Curse is an oldie but goodie and makes great use of the stylus.
    050620.jpg

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It IS Golden Sun! I had so much fun with that game! Also, thanks for the suggestions!

Phoenix Wright is the lawyery games right? What do you actually do in them?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would really recommend Spirit Tracks! Oh geez it is awesomely fun.

Definitely play the second Golden Sun game if you haven't already.

Also, Scribblenauts!

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you never played Chrono Trigger in the SNES days, now is the time!

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's a little hard to find, but the DS version of Civilization Revolution is pretty respectable.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It IS Golden Sun! I had so much fun with that game! Also, thanks for the suggestions!

Phoenix Wright is the lawyery games right? What do you actually do in them?

Following a case (and story) you're presented with a situation, get a client, go out and interview witnesses, friends, etc, see the crime scene, find some evidence then go to court and try to proove your client innocent (as you play a defense lawyer) by finding contradictions in statements using evidence, profiles and such.

edit: And it's not bland lawyery either, you're usually following high profile cases with lots of interesting plot points and all the characters have very thorough personalities.

Sipex on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It's a little hard to find, but the DS version of Civilization Revolution is pretty respectable.

Second this. It's all I really play on my DS anymore. Exactly the same as Civ:Revolution on 360 in terms of gameplay.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Final Fantasy IV
    Bangai-O Spirits -- Perfect for quick pick-up-and-play
    Wario Ware D.I.Y.
    Chu Chu Rocket (GBA) -- this will entertain you endlessly and is perfect to pick up when you have small snippets of time throughout the day

Edit: Whoops, just read your OP more carefully and realize now that FFIV may not be your bag. I second whoever recommended Dragon Quest above, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Picross DS

I have a dozen or so DS games and this is the only one that gets any play.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get Pokemon FireRed.

If you have pearl you can hook them up and import pokes. You can also get a good nostalgic feel from the game.

It's one of my favorites.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kirbith wrote: »
    Also, Scribblenauts!

Yes! I loved this game. So much fun. Where else can you ride a pterodactyl with a light sabre (ahem "laser sword") in your hand.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

I did not notice that this existed. It's $20 bucks on newegg (I just ordered it!), so it's out there.

One thing that I kind of like is Korg-DS. It may not be up your alley, but basically, it's a synth/sequencer program for the DS. http://www.korgds10synthesizer.com/ is the web site. I realize not everyone will enjoy it, though.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you've played the Kingdom Hearts games, 358/2 Days is pretty good. It uses a mission hub system for everything, so it's not a really heavy RPG. A good 50% of your time is going to be spent playing Tetris to organize your skill and item setup, though, which is kind of annoying.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    If you are into simple 2D side scrolling, get Kirby Super Star. Kirby is about the same as traditional Mario games, with a whole range of powers. Very light and easy to play.

If you get metroid, I hope calls dont fuck with your memory, because its always about back tracking when you get that new thing that opens the door you saw 20 minutes ago.

I don't know if there's a harvest moon for the DS thats good, but harvest moon can kill time like no ones business.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    N+ is the game you need.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    N+ is the most frustrating game ever. It is also so, so fun.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The 15-20 seconds it takes to complete a board makes it perfect for his job. Plus, there's no story to keep track of!

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is fun, in a cute, bouncy sort of way.

Since you liked Layton and the Curious Village, you probably want to try Layton and the Diabolical Box, though I recommend not playing them too soon after each other, because they're very similar.

illirica on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just picked up 358/2 Days, and I might go back and grab Picross 3D, cause it's only $20. I almost ALMOST bought Puzzle Fighter 2.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, while the first 5 minutes of Kingdom Hearts looks good, I have just discovered that my Right and Left buttons don't work on my DS. If only I could skip those tutorials with the LEFT AND RIGHT BUTTONS ON THE D-PAD!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Put your mouth around the button so that it forms a seal, and blow into it.
    This fixes 90% of stuck L and R buttons.
    Not shitting you.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Viva Pinata isn't the greatest game but it does suck up lots of time, and you can find it cheap used, and you can inbreed your little pinatas and then beat them to death and feed them to their children. Or you can just be nice and sell them, you know, your call.

cabsy on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Underappreciated, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is a great puzzle time waster.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hamdingers wrote: »
    Underappreciated, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes is a great puzzle time waster.

oh man, forgot this one.
    Seriously a great game.
    It's Puzzle/strategy with the usual 3-of-a-kind matching, but what you're matching is unit types to form walls or attack formations.
    There's also a plot or something but ignore that.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Animal Crossing on the DS is pretty awesome at being a time-waster if you are looking for that kind of thing without demanding timing, but be warned of extreme tedium. People are either into these games or not.

Puzzle games like Tetris DS or Meteos are ideal for short bursts of time.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Four-EyesFour-Eyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're in to raging SO HARD THAT YOU USE YOUR STYLUS TO RIP YOUR EYES OUT, then any of the Trauma Center games will do.

Four-Eyes on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone have a recommendation for a very text heavy game? I'm buying DS games en francais for keeping my reading skills sharp.

EDIT: I already bought Dragon Warrior IV and Final Fantasy III off of ebay.fr.

Esh on