As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suspended licence, but didn't know

AltmcaltAltmcalt Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Now obviously, laws are dependant on state, and I know that. Just want to know if anyone has had any similar experiences, or can tell me what to expect.

Had a speeding ticket back in january, thought i paid the ticket. Got pulled over yesterday for rolling through a stop sign. Cop told me my licence was suspended due to me not paying enough for the previous ticket. I have the wrong address on my licence so did not receive a letter stating I didn't pay it fully. I have lived at this new place for a few months and never got around to changing my licence.

Went to jail/holding area for a few hours. Got some friends to get me out on bond for a hundred bucks. Court date is in 6 days. Now obviously there is no excuse for me not changing my licence. What are the steps I need to take to make sure I do everything correctly? Show up, tell them i didn't receive the ticket error notification in the mail due to an address change, pay the rest of THAT ticket, pay fines on this offense, get another licence?

Altmcalt on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They'll probably reinstate it after you do all that. You most likely won't have to get another license.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm reading some things online that say I should try and pay my prior citation and get my licence before my court date. But that's only in 6 days? I would hope I can just pay everything at the court house. But if it's necessary, I'll call my dmv and see what they have to say...

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best thing you can do to is pay what you owe and just skip court. You should still be able to pre pay on the current ticket up to and including the morning of the trial as long as the trial time has not exprired. You will want to check on that though. Once you have everything paid and have all your receipts grab a few alternate forms of ID head to your local DMV and prepare for the suck. DMV will ask lots of questions and you will get charged a reinstation fee and then they will give you your new license, assuming whatever jurisdiction you are in did not put a stop on it for some reason. It's a long process but you can get it cleared up in a day if you clear your schedule and are willing to put in the time. Best of luck!

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks guys.

So I don't have my speeding ticket information... Do I just go to the clerk of courts and ask them to print out any unpaid parking tickets and pay that immediately?

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Always change your address as soon as you can when you move. This is one of the reasons why.

But yeah, get everything you owe paid up, and get your address changed.

I would advise going to the court date instead of paying the fine to skip it. If you show that you've paid everything you owe and gotten your license taken care of, they will sometimes drop the driving on a suspended license charge. That's one that's worth sitting in court to find out if they will or not.

Edit: Also, most places if you call the courthouse they have a listing of what the fines are for each traffic offense, but if you talk to a person, they should be able to tell what you owe on the old one.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm assuming that's its possible that they won't let me pay my previous ticket and get my new licence UNTIL I show up in court... and least thats why I'm thinking its only 6 days away... I would think they would give me at least a month if they were expecting me to pay the previous ticket and get a new licence... but again, I'm assuming.

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pay it anyway if you have the money now.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I'm gonna head down to the county clerks office on break. Don't have my checkbook on me, i'll just bring a wad of cash. I really hope I can pay this beforehand, so i can bring the receipt with me to court.

I've read some things that say the dmv won't allow me to get my licence until the court hearing is over, even if i paid the ticket... but i guess i'll figure that all out either at the clerks office, or the dmv.

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh and don't skip that court date.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Altmcalt wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna head down to the county clerks office on break. Don't have my checkbook on me, i'll just bring a wad of cash. I really hope I can pay this beforehand, so i can bring the receipt with me to court.

I've read some things that say the dmv won't allow me to get my licence until the court hearing is over, even if i paid the ticket... but i guess i'll figure that all out either at the clerks office, or the dmv.

They probably won't let you reinstate your license until after the court date, but if you show you paid what you owe that caused it in the first place, they will sometimes drop or reduce the charge against you.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Appreciate the help guys.

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you pay the ticket and admit the honest mistake, you'll probably get the new fine dropped. Here's to hoping.

bowen on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, you're bent over a log. Pay, pay, pay. All you can do is buy your way out. Be humble, say you're sorry, say you won't ever do it again.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    To be fair, not updating the address is pretty much what bends one over the log... It's kind of self-inflicted.

Chanus on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Always change your address as soon as you can when you move. This is one of the reasons why.

It probably depends on the state, but I know in Texas you have like 21 days or something to do that before you're in trouble.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It probably depends on the state, but I know in Texas you have like 21 days or something to do that before you're in trouble.

Yeah, we get 30 days in VA... the OP said "a few months", though.

Chanus on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This should go without saying, but if your license is suspended, do not drive yourself to the court house. I know it seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised by the amount of people who do and then get in even more trouble.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Luckily, I have a college friend who unfortunately got a dui last year. I was his taxi.

Time to collect.

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

In Texas, you can do it online. There aren't a lot of excuses, including "ain't got time to wait in line", for letting it lapse.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is a load of garbage. Until you've been served with the notice that your license is suspended, it isn't your fault. In California, at least, if that same officer had stopped you he'd be verbally serving you the notice of license suspension and then you are on your way, maybe with a stop sign ticket, and you have an opportunity to fix that suspension.

Going to jail for that? That's ludicrous. What state is this in?

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    He was served. At his legal residence. Which he never changed.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, state laws are different.

It was kentucky

Altmcalt on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm surprised that you were taken to jail and had to be bailed out.

Normally what they are trying to do with stuff like this isn't send you up the river, it's enforce compliance. So if you just appear before the judge and explain what happened (and pay whatever you owe), that should be the end of it.

On the other hand, your state saw fit to send you to jail over it, so who knows.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echoing what someone else said, go to court. Make sure you apologize and be as polite as possible to the judge. Its kinda common sense but a lot of people forget that courtesy and politeness can really go a long way with a judge.

Explain the situation, make no excuses, apologize for the mistake. If you pay everything up and bring that proof to court most judges will kindly give you a break and reduce fines/feels/penalty. Especially if you have a relatively clean record. For most judges just admitting you made a huge mistake and seeming like you actually feel bad for it will go a long way for first time offenders.

Edit:
    Also dress nicely, sit quietly through proceedings and appear attentive. Judges pay attention to the people in the court room to see who is taking it seriously and who isn't.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

He didn't get the letter, so he wasn't served. Unless they sent it certified mail and he signed for it, no service

Karrmer on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Karrmer wrote: »

He didn't get the letter, so he wasn't served. Unless they sent it certified mail and he signed for it, no service

Personal service is not required to effectuate service. They sent it to what he told them was his legal residence, therefore they satisfied the service requirement.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »

Personal service is not required to effectuate service. They sent it to what he told them was his legal residence, therefore they satisfied the service requirement.

A whole lot of things could occur that would result in him not getting the letter, and they have no proof that he did get it. In this case it was just due to him changing addresses, but the point stands.

I guess California is just awesome

Karrmer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Went to the county clerks office and paid the rest of my ticket. Asked if I could get my licence reinstated, and they said no, I can't do that until after the court date. So I'm without a licence for only a few days.

I'll bring my receipt, tell them the truth, and hope I get my licence back soon.

Altmcalt on