As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Safely Increasing My Jogging Regiment

Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I started the Couch to 5k thing like a year ago, and have since progressed beyond the end point of the program. I didn't bother to look at how to gradually increase my distance past the 5k mark, so since then my routine has been characterized by sporadic growth and few backward steps before reaching the point I am now. Presently, I'm jogging about six miles every other day.

Now when I was between the 5 and 6 mile mark, I had some issues with deciding when I should end my sessions. Occasionally I'd get troublesome pains in my knees or shins which, while minor, encouraged me to stop early rather than risk straining something. I'm sure that sort of thing will come up again in the future, so I figure I should now start looking into how to differentiate between negligible discomfort and the sort of pain that should make you stop for the day.

I'm also wondering exactly how I can safely increase my total distance from session to session. I assume there's some kind of guideline for incremental growth, like maybe adding a portion of a mile week to week, but I wasn't able to find any solid guidelines. Furthermore, I can't seem to find anything on what my ultimate goal should be with jogging. Is there a point where one might jog for too far and too long and, in doing so, do more harm than good to his own body?

Finally, I could use some advice on hydration. Right now I drink a bottle of water before jogging, piss it out, then rehydrate once I'm done with my exercise. Is that alright? Should I carry some water with me, if not now then perhaps later as my sessions lengthen?

Robos A Go Go on

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Basically, you just need to find a marathon training program. That'll walk you up from 3.2 miles to 26 miles in gradual steps.

I carried a Camelbak when I got up to 8/9 miles, but that's just me.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Additionally, if you're not doing them already, leg exercises to build up the muscles surrounding the joints. The increased stabilization they provide often reduces or eliminates certain running pains.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Additionally, if you're not doing them already, leg exercises to build up the muscles surrounding the joints. The increased stabilization they provide often reduces or eliminates certain running pains.

What kind of leg exercises?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Knee.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Ankle.html

Ruckus on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Squats and deadlifts are good for runners. And by good I mean fucking essential. You'll also want to do arm work to balance it out, because through the magic of the human body pumping your arms as you run activates more leg muscle fibres which lets you run longer and harder.

That's why sprinters are universally massive, and why marathon runners always have lean but developed arms as well as legs.

Robman on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    As far as hydration, I'd recommend you bring water with you. Especially if you're looking to extend your runs much beyond six miles. How you carry that water with you is up to you. Different runners have different preferences that can even vary depending on the type of run they're doing.

You could get a bladder pack like a Camelbak for instance so that you're not carrying it in your hand, and you also have the flexibility of having a larger capacity for water so you have more flexibility in how much you bring on a run as well as being able to stick some small items in there like a light running jacket, some cash, credit card, keys.

Or you could just get a running bottle that has a hand strap so you don't have to actually maintain a grip on it.

Just one example.
    hydrapak-running-bottle.jpg

Or you could get a bottle that fits into a belt.

VIG103_bottle_belt.jpg

Just a few options, and many runners use more than one depending on the length of the run and where they're doing it (for instance if you're running in the woods then refilling your water isn't really going to be an option so you have to bring what you'll need).

But it's much better to stay hydrated during (but don't over hydrate too much) rather than re-hydrate after the fact. Especially when you get into summer time and runs that are 10+ miles. Not only will your performance suffer as you dehydrate, but there's also some health risk.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good call, nobody likes to get kidney stones

Robman on
  • Options
    masc.boxmasc.box Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How long are you taking to run the 6 miles every other day?

Have you raced at all over a 5k - 10k distance and what were your times?

Have you had trainers fitted to your own particular gait by a good running store?

Are your ultimate goals related to endurance/fitness or are you racing as well?

10% mileage increments per week is usually a good guideline although i'm concerned you are getting joint pain and would hold off on any mileage increases before you get this sorted if it is persistent and serious.

For hydration - examine your pee. It should be straw coloured and no darker than this, most hydration is done pre running in the hours before you run you really will only need water with you until after 1 hour running unless your climate is very hot (I dont carry anything until 1 hr 15 mins and at 1 hr 30 mins you may want to consider some energy gel too - I use this to carry water and gel - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Octane_XTC_Plus_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360048222/)

masc.box on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also I would note that my dad started seeing a lot of his best running performance increases after he started cycling on his off days (Monday - Run, Tuesday - Cycle, Wednesday - Rest, Thursday - Run, etc)

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    masc.box wrote: »
    How long are you taking to run the 6 miles every other day?

55 minutes, give or take.
    Have you raced at all over a 5k - 10k distance and what were your times?

Nope.
    Have you had trainers fitted to your own particular gait by a good running store?

I got some Nike Shox from a Nike store after getting some help from a salesperson. Does that count?
    Are your ultimate goals related to endurance/fitness or are you racing as well?

Just endurance and fitness.
    10% mileage increments per week is usually a good guideline although i'm concerned you are getting joint pain and would hold off on any mileage increases before you get this sorted if it is persistent and serious.

The pain is slight and doesn't last very long, if that's any indication. I hadn't considered it an issue in itself, but just a potential sign that I shouldn't push myself much harder.
    For hydration - examine your pee. It should be straw coloured and no darker than this, most hydration is done pre running in the hours before you run you really will only need water with you until after 1 hour running unless your climate is very hot (I dont carry anything until 1 hr 15 mins and at 1 hr 30 mins you may want to consider some energy gel too - I use this to carry water and gel - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Octane_XTC_Plus_2_Litre_Hydration_System/5360048222/)

My pee's that color, so I guess I'm fine there.

Thanks for the recommendations for water packs and such. Also, I'll look into doing some exercises to strengthen my arms and legs once I can start using my school's gym.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    your chronic pain could be due to shoes that aren't right for your gait mechanics, and no a Nike store employee isn't going to know what the fuck

if you can find a good running shoe store in your area that focuses specifically on running shoes and offers even some rudimentary gait analysis that might help you determine if a different shoe will help you out due to issues like over or under pronation

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am in your shoes. Training for a 5k and I can safely run that distance now. I used to get terrible shin splints when running to the point where I would have a hard time walking after.

Guess what my shoes were?

Nike Shox.

I went to a local running store and the salesperson watched me run and picked a shoe matching my needs. I can now run better, faster and longer then I ever could. Go get some nice running shoes. I was cheap and bought the Shox thinking "Hey Nike running shoes! These have to be great!" They were the worst thing for me. Expect to pay around 100 for some started decent shoes.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Agh, that's terrible news. I've never had pain so bad that I couldn't walk, but I'll still look into a gait analysis to avoid more serious problems down the line.

Thanks, guys.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, for anyone else looking for running shoes I'd recommend against going to a brand specific store unless you already know they have a model that works for you. A Nike salesperson is of course going to sell you Nike shoes regardless of whether they actually make sense for you. :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Agh, that's terrible news. I've never had pain so bad that I couldn't walk, but I'll still look into a gait analysis to avoid more serious problems down the line.

Thanks, guys.

When I run, I prefer to be as light as possible. I usually drink up 64 oz of water and stop a few hours before I run. Then I run without a bottle then hydrate as needed after. Everyone is different though. Glad your off the couch! I was in the same rut too until somebody at work pushed me to run. Now I enjoy the after effects of running (I still don't like to run).

precisionk on