As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    As someone that doesn't have any need for a freeform character slot purchase (lifetime sub), I have to say, that is way fucking overpriced.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    As someone that doesn't have any need for a freeform character slot purchase (lifetime sub), I have to say, that is way fucking overpriced.

If it ever goes on a 50% sale, I might actually buy one.
    They have to price it at about the price of a game, as freeform characters is a pretty massive part of the game - I personally never found the archetypes enjoyable.
    But 40dollars is way too much, I'd rather just buy a full blown AAA game at that price.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    It's actually $50, not $40. I could maybe see buying it at $30. At $20? I wouldn't even hesitate to purchase one.

(This is all hypothetically assuming I actually had a need to buy one)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, but the thing is that instantly obsoletes all the templates they have in the store. They lowball that they will never make another template sale ever.

The best business approach they can make to not kill off that market is to price too high and increment it down.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Well, a subscription is $15 a month...so that's about a 100 days worth of subscribing to CO, so it's not really that outrageous.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So, I haven't played the game in ages, and I'm slightly lost when it comes to the modification system. Any bullet points I should know about it?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    You'll find equipment with modification slots. You can use those modifications to upgrade those pieces to customize them.

Really, it's not too critical until you hit level 40. Until then, you may find pieces with one slot, some with two in your 30's, and then most of the BIS pieces have three.

So if you're just leveling, it's not a huge deal.

• Options
    And about finding mods. I get that you get them from the investigation items that you used to get crafting materials from. But did they move them all around or something, cause I have yet to find one.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    It's actually $50, not $40. I could maybe see buying it at $30. At $20? I wouldn't even hesitate to purchase one.

(This is all hypothetically assuming I actually had a need to buy one)

Okay, then it's probably off the table for me.
    I guess I could grind dilithium and convert it to Zen, and just pay $20 - that'd be more like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    And about finding mods. I get that you get them from the investigation items that you used to get crafting materials from. But did they move them all around or something, cause I have yet to find one.

Yeah, crafting is basically non-existant in the new system, so I wouldn't worry much about it.

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »

Yeah, crafting is basically non-existant in the new system, so I wouldn't worry much about it.
    Alright. But once I get to a high level, I should start trying to FIND where they are, then?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I think you'll start to see them in Canada and the Desert.

• Options
    Well, even on my level 40 character, I haven't seen 'em. Do they just not appear in millenium city anymore?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well, even on my level 40 character, I haven't seen 'em. Do they just not appear in millenium city anymore?

Pretty much, yes. You may see high level ones in MC, but all the lowbie ones have been removed from Westside, etc.

• Options

Pretty much, yes. You may see high level ones in MC, but all the lowbie ones have been removed from Westside, etc.
    Ah. Seems kinda dumb,but alright.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well, crafting is essentially pointless now, that's why.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, I'm considering trying this out for a month. I've played through the tutorial, and spend a couple hours in the character creator (most of it before I did the tutorial..only to come back and then see that my options had doubled, apparently from the achievements I had earned?) But the freeform hero seems a lot more interesting than the small handful of archetypes I have available as F2P.

Are there any warnings I should have before I take the plunge?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, I'm considering trying this out for a month. I've played through the tutorial, and spend a couple hours in the character creator (most of it before I did the tutorial..only to come back and then see that my options had doubled, apparently from the achievements I had earned?) But the freeform hero seems a lot more interesting than the small handful of archetypes I have available as F2P.

One warning. Stay out of Alerts until you've played for a little while. They're not super hard but you'll catch no end of shit from other people if they feel that you're fucking it up for them (you probably will not be, but given that you can be auto-banned from chat for 24h if a few people /ignore you...).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options

One warning. Stay out of Alerts until you've played for a little while. They're not super hard but you'll catch no end of shit from other people if they feel that you're fucking it up for them (you probably will not be, but given that you can be auto-banned from chat for 24h if a few people /ignore you...).

Well that's kind of ew.

Can any of the other archetypes be unlocked via perks, or do all archetypes outside of the few starting ones need to be purchased? Someone in the Steam thread suggested just going Free, but I'm not a particular fan of any of the available free archetypes. But if I can unlock the other ones via Perks, then I'd be up for that too.

• Options
    Well that's kind of ew.

Can any of the other archetypes be unlocked via perks, or do all archetypes outside of the few starting ones need to be purchased? Someone in the Steam thread suggested just going Free, but I'm not a particular fan of any of the available free archetypes. But if I can unlock the other ones via Perks, then I'd be up for that too.
    They need to be purchased. Only costumes are unlocked via perks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Having to buy points via an alternate website and then transfer them to my Champions account is stupid.

Also stupid is the fact that 100 Zen points = 80 Cryptic points.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    They're going to alter the C-Points to Zen in CO's and STO's shops soon.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Having to buy points via an alternate website and then transfer them to my Champions account is stupid.

Also stupid is the fact that 100 Zen points = 80 Cryptic points.

It's always been $1 for 80 CP, so you're not getting screwed by converting.

Also, regarding archetypes, you can always grind Questionite and trade that for CP to buy them with. The new Power Armor AT is pretty good if you want to play a ranged tank. You can do better using freeform, but the AT is solid.

• Options
    Also, regarding archetypes, you can always grind Questionite and trade that for CP to buy them with. The new Power Armor AT is pretty good if you want to play a ranged tank. You can do better using freeform, but the AT is solid.
    You can do that?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Yep. It'll take a while, but you can essentially get anything in the cash shop via ingame means.

Also, in regards to Alerts, I would level up through the first chain in Westside. That should get you to 11, which will give you your passive boost and probably a toggle. You should be fine then. If you go in at level 6 with hardly any attacks, you're really going to need a higher level person there to help carry some weight.

Just stick with 2-minute drills, as those are straight up tank and spanks. Recruiting drives can also be fairly easy if your group is smart enough to pull the villain straight back towards the police, and NOT fight in the middle, where everyone always get knocked into other groups and it becomes a cluster. Same thing for the civilian draining one, except you can pull the villian back into the police and completely negate the worms.

Alerts are just like anything else in an MMO. Whiners are going to whine and haters are going to hate.

• Options
    Yep. It'll take a while, but you can essentially get anything in the cash shop via ingame means.

Also, in regards to Alerts, I would level up through the first chain in Westside. That should get you to 11, which will give you your passive boost and probably a toggle. You should be fine then. If you go in at level 6 with hardly any attacks, you're really going to need a higher level person there to help carry some weight.

Just stick with 2-minute drills, as those are straight up tank and spanks. Recruiting drives can also be fairly easy if your group is smart enough to pull the villain straight back towards the police, and NOT fight in the middle, where everyone always get knocked into other groups and it becomes a cluster. Same thing for the civilian draining one, except you can pull the villian back into the police and completely negate the worms.

Alerts are just like anything else in an MMO. Whiners are going to whine and haters are going to hate.

I kind of disagree with the notion of using Alerts to level up on one's first jaunt through the game. I mean, it's fine to use them to bridge xp gaps and such, but you're missing out on the game's primary content by doing so. The game's normal missions are just barely enough to get you to 40 if you do every single one. Once you've done that once, then you can start a new guy and go 6-40 in twelve hours by grinding Black Fang alerts.

• Options
    I kind of disagree with the notion of using Alerts to level up on one's first jaunt through the game. I mean, it's fine to use them to bridge xp gaps and such, but you're missing out on the game's primary content by doing so. The game's normal missions are just barely enough to get you to 40 if you do every single one. Once you've done that once, then you can start a new guy and go 6-40 in twelve hours by grinding Black Fang alerts.
    Personally, I'm just going to use alerts to completely skip Lemuria, because last time I played it, it was awful.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    The game's normal missions are just barely enough to get you to 40 if you do every single one.

This isn't entirely true; you can get to 40 now without doing quite a few. It's not nearly an issue like it was back during original release. I definately agree that doing the regular missions the first time through is the way to go, however.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    The game's normal missions are just barely enough to get you to 40 if you do every single one.

This isn't entirely true; you can get to 40 now without doing quite a few. It's not nearly an issue like it was back during original release. I definately agree that doing the regular missions the first time through is the way to go, however.

You kind of run out of steam around levels 30-35, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I can wholly endorse heenato's skipping of Lemuria though, because fuck that place. The only time it was fun was back in beta when I could solo the Mandragalore instance using broken Invulnerability and Concussor Beams.
    I came close to dying when I fought the Bronze King at the end, but that was because it'd been so long since I'd used my heal that I'd forgotten I had it.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    double poast

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options

You kind of run out of steam around levels 30-35, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I can wholly endorse heenato's skipping of Lemuria though, because fuck that place. The only time it was fun was back in beta when I could solo the Mandragalore instance using broken Invulnerability and Concussor Beams.
    I came close to dying when I fought the Bronze King at the end, but that was because it'd been so long since I'd used my heal that I'd forgotten I had it.
    Actually, I skipped Lemuria on my first time through as well. Monster island had just enough to get me to a level where I could get into Vibora bay, after that, it wasn't too long to 40.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Actually, I skipped Lemuria on my first time through as well. Monster island had just enough to get me to a level where I could get into Vibora bay, after that, it wasn't too long to 40.

You're probably right. I tend to forget about all the non-Lemuria quests which I also like to skip because they're boring and/or I am too lazy to change zones. Also there's the special series arcs one can use to pick up any slack, though I always felt that those seemed more tuned to a level 40 character.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    I am sick and I have a disease. I've now got 8 hours in this game, and still have only played just past the tutorial. :lol:

So many new powers and costume pieces to try out!

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Glad you're having fun with it, man. :^:

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I am sick and I have a disease. I've now got 8 hours in this game, and still have only played just past the tutorial. :lol:

So many new powers and costume pieces to try out!

Yey! Glad you're having a good time with it.

Do we know if the PACO channel is still around? Wasn't that the Penny Arcade chat channel?

CO really is an under-rated game, imho. I'm surprised more people don't pick up the F2P option.

And I mean, costumes...man, the costumes. I swear I spend more time play pretty-dress-up-barbie doll that I do playing the game some nights.

• Options
    It really is my favorite part. :lol:

If they keep this sort of customization for Neverwinter, I might just be in heaven. I've been waiting for a fantasy game with a huge level of customization to armor.

• Options
    Do we know if the PACO channel is still around? Wasn't that the Penny Arcade chat channel?

CO really is an under-rated game, imho. I'm surprised more people don't pick up the F2P option.

And I mean, costumes...man, the costumes. I swear I spend more time play pretty-dress-up-barbie doll that I do playing the game some nights.

Not sure about PACO, but I know "Penny Arcade" channel exists and is shared across CO and STO.

The costume creator is dangerously addictive. After going back to DCUO a bit, I found I missed terribly the flexibility it allowed.

I suspect word got out about how CO was "terrible" and now public opinion is on the whole likely to be negative. Which is at least partially accurate but unfortunate - the owners of Cryptic at various times have made atrocious or dubious decisions regarding marketing of their product. It is significantly better than it was at launch.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

Not sure about PACO, but I know "Penny Arcade" channel exists and is shared across CO and STO.

The costume creator is dangerously addictive. After going back to DCUO a bit, I found I missed terribly the flexibility it allowed.

I suspect word got out about how CO was "terrible" and now public opinion is on the whole likely to be negative. Which is at least partially accurate but unfortunate - the owners of Cryptic at various times have made atrocious or dubious decisions regarding marketing of their product. It is significantly better than it was at launch.

I am wholly of the opinion that, if CO had launched in its current state, there's a good chance it wouldn't have been a subscription failure and Cryptic might not have had to sell its soul to PWE.

CO having terrible PvP hasn't changed, though I suppose it's a bit better than it was in beta.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It is fucking tragic that they don't teach people how to write in school.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It is fucking tragic that they don't teach people how to write in school.

Why? What happened?