As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blindness AND Cancer?! Where do I sign up?? (Wicked's new c4 laser)

delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
Spotted this on Gizmodo.

Wicked lasers just released this monstrosity:
Wicked Lasers radically redefines the way we see lasers yet again. For the first time in history, direct blue laser diodes have now become available in the consumer market. The laser powered home theater projector is the first of a large family of audio and video media technology to feature direct blue diodes. Wicked Lasers took the direct blue laser diode components and made the world's first 445nm direct blue diode laser, the Arctic.

The Artic emits a 445nm cool blue, ultra high power 1W beam which appears up to 4000% brighter than the Sonar's 405nm violet beam. This direct blue laser diode is the result of the evolution of laser technology. Less than one year ago, this laser would have cost thousands of dollars to build. Don't let the Arctic name fool you, this laser possesses the most burning capabilities of any portable laser in existence. That's why it's also the most dangerous laser ever created.
I'm not sure if I want one. The coolness factor is definitely up there, but the risks of blindness and injury are SIGNIFICANT. The price point is also insane (edit: insanely low): $200 for a class 4 laser!

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
"Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
delroland on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    I did have a general question regarding lasers as well: how much more heat intensity is generated when you focus a laser through a magnifying lens? I wouldn't think much, being that the beam is already quite compact, but I am curious if that assumption is correct.

delroland on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wow this thing can set people on fire?

edit: how well might this thing work for cutting/melting plastic? I like modeling Nerf guns and that would certainly come in handy though I would be scared of setting someone on fire

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've seen a video of a green lazer popping balloons. I suspect this could pop a coke bottle?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    delroland wrote: »
    I did have a general question regarding lasers as well: how much more heat intensity is generated when you focus a laser through a magnifying lens? I wouldn't think much, being that the beam is already quite compact, but I am curious if that assumption is correct.

Not much, given that a laser is a focused beam of parallell light - ie, they're already all heading in the same direction in a narrow beam.

Echo on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would do terrible things to earn the money for this laser so I could do terrible things with it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.
    D:

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why would one want a super powerful lazer if one couldn't annoy neighborhood animals and humans with it?

I would never point this thing at a person.. in fact, there are very few things I feel that I would point this at.. Maybe useful to start a campfire or something though..

I want one but I'm scared of it.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was thinking the same thing

Super pocket laser lighter

MrDelish on
  • Options
    King MultitasKing Multitas __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Is looking at a laser beam, not directly but just looking at the long trail of light, damaging to the eye?

King Multitas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also what if you duct taped 4 of these lasers together and then focused them into one single beam with lenses? Would that make a laser that was 4 times as powerful?

King Multitas on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is looking at a laser beam, not directly but just looking at the long trail of light, damaging to the eye?
    You mean the backscatter from the air molecules it's trying to kill?
    No, not really....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if I could convince my museum that we need to buy one of these.
    You know, for science...

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I want to own one, and the price is crazy-awesome, but there's no way I'd want it in the house.

Never mind the blindness and all that; what happens if the interlocks fail and it lights up whilst it's in a drawer or something?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Man, I want to own one, and the price is crazy-awesome, but there's no way I'd want it in the house.

Never mind the blindness and all that; what happens if the interlocks fail and it lights up whilst it's in a drawer or something?

It runs down the battery, most likely? Worst case scenario it starts a fire, just like every other electrical device in your house?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone ever been killed by a laser?
    I can think of a few crimes that would be so easy to commit with this deadly weapon. So many creative applications.
    Laser powered super criminals?

King Multitas on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if it's a coincidence that that looks almost exactly like a lightsaber.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I can think of a few crimes that would be so easy to commit with this deadly weapon. So many creative applications.

No, Mr. Bond: I expect you to get rather badly burnt, and maybe develop cancer in a few years!

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if I could burn a hole through a tree with one of these.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    These would be a great alternative to guns for home defense.

Blind them and set their clothes on fire. Probably wont rob anyone again.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    delroland wrote: »

No, Mr. Bond: I expect you to get rather badly burnt, and maybe develop cancer in a few years!

FADE IN:

INT. HALLWAY - NIGHT
    Steps are heard going down a corridor, each one having a distinct click or clack sound.

A sinister individual wearing a flowing black trench coat walks down this empty corridor that leads far into a darkness at the end. The walls and floors are a cold, pale light blue color. Metallic in texture.

SECURITY GUARD (O.S.)
    "Hey, uh you're not supposed to be here..."

The individual stops in place, and the sudden quietness in the hall is very noticeable. The individual turns around slowly until she stands facing the security guard. She stares at him for a moment from behind her large Dior sunglasses with custom, but subtle, ruby black lenses. She tilts her head slightly for a moment.

Suddenly with a quick flick of her wrists, class 4 Arctic Lasers slide into her gloved hands from her trench coat sleeves. She grips them hard and firm.

The security guard looks at the lasers and shakes his head. He laughs gently as he takes his collapsible baton from his belt. He puts one foot behind him and presses a button on the baton, then swings it downward quickly to his side to quadruple it's length.

The individual still stands motionless, and unflinching.

SECURITY GUARD
    "Now look mam, I know you think you-"

Suddenly, the individual swings her arms up in a criss cross motion, sending two instant sweeps of bright blue laser beams across the hall at eye level. Her arms return to their original position.

The security guard drops his baton and shrieks in pain and terror as his vision burns away instantly.

The individual runs three steps, jumps, spins, and sidekicks the security guard so hard in the throat he dies unquestionably.

The security guard falls backward to the ground, dead, mouth and eyes wide open, pupils burnt.

Panning up and backward, we see the individual regaining her passive stance with lasers still in hand. The blue beams flicker for a second and disappear. She continues walking.

Steps are heard going down a corridor, each one having a distinct click or clack sound.

King Multitas on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Warning: Extremely dangerous is an understatement to the power of 1W of laser power. It will blind permanently and instantly and set fire quickly to skin and other body parts, use with extreme caution and only when using the included eye protection. Customers will be required to completely read and agree to our Class IV Laser Hazard Acknowledgment Form.
    D:

I was totally going to order one of these, even managed to get onto the website (website was wonky, wasn't easy) and the warnings and cautions dissuaded me...

It really is just too dangerous for me to justify owning. Which is strange, because I have no problem owning firearms. Perhaps because this just looks so much like a toy, and knowing that an average person, even an intelligent person, would not understand how dangerous it was without being warned explicitly.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This laser definitely has potential to fall into the wrong hands.

It's just way too powerful and easy to use. Any kid will pick this up and instantly point it at his/her friends without thinking of the consequences.

King Multitas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's just way too powerful and easy to use. Any kid will pick this up and instantly point it at his/her friends without thinking of the consequences.

Don't give me that "think of the children" stuff.

The same can be said for anything in the hands of stupid kids, Even sticks.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

The first thing I did with my dad's red laser pointer 15 years ago was shine it into friends' eyes. And you know what? It was fucking hysterical.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

This is a deadly weapon.

Imagine some kid sitting on a bridge over a highway shining a blue laser into the eyes of drivers, so they crash and KILL THEIR FUCKING SELVES

King Multitas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is a deadly weapon.

Imagine some kid sitting on a bridge over a highway shining a blue laser into the eyes of drivers, so they crash and KILL THEIR FUCKING SELVES

They can do the same thing with a rock

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is a deadly weapon.

A laser is different.

You can snipe out a dude's vision from a far as hell distance, quietly and masterfully with one of these lasers.

King Multitas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

This is a deadly weapon.

A laser is different.

You can snipe out a dude's vision from a far as hell distance, quietly and masterfully with one of these lasers.

Well, I'm sure the bright blue beam would be a bit of a hint as to its point of origin.

But you can also snipe cars at a distance with a slingshot.

again, rocks

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    good lord, could you imagine what it would be like if you could hide the laser beams?

It would be unstoppable

King Multitas on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I'm sure the bright blue beam would be a bit of a hint as to its point of origin.

But you can also snipe cars at a distance with a slingshot.

again, rocks

It's a laser. A laser that can blind INSTANTLY. A laser that, unlike a slingshot, does not need practice to use effectively and goes through a windshield much easier than any rock could.

You really think a rock is as dangerous as this laser?

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The more I think about it, this laser is potentially the most dangerous thing I've seen in a long time.

Does this thing pass through metal detectors?

King Multitas on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The more I think about it, this laser is potentially the most dangerous thing I've seen in a long time.

Not without setting them off.

Metal casing, metal in the batteries, metal in the wiring...

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    corky842 wrote: »

Not without setting them off.

Metal casing, metal in the batteries, metal in the wiring...

Could it get through the XRay machine at the airport?

Or say, the XRay machine to a presidential event or something of that nature?

Without someone opening it up and saying, what tha fuck is this?

King Multitas on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HAHA I TOTALLY SET THAT APARTMENT FROM 3 BLOCKS AWAY ON FIRE FROM MY WINDOW HAHA.

Yeah, it is indeed scary.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    HAHA I TOTALLY SET THAT APARTMENT FROM 3 BLOCKS AWAY ON FIRE FROM MY WINDOW HAHA.

Its a 1-watt laser. Let's not overexagerate here. Blindness, yes. Setting things on fire from short range, yes. Death star beam, no.

EDIT I mean for fuck's sake they made it by tearing apart a projector and scavenging the parts.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This is a deadly weapon.

Scenario made me laugh, I'm not going to lie.

It's that little bastard up there with the lightsaber, arrest him officer!

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Its a 1-watt laser. Let's not overexagerate here. Blindness, yes. Setting things on fire from short range, yes. Death star beam, no.

EDIT I mean for fuck's sake they made it by tearing apart a projector and scavenging the parts.

Depends on the beam collimation. They quote <1.5mrad divergence. A beam with 1mrad divergence will have a beam diameter of 15mm at 15m, which means that the irradiance (W/m^2) will be 100x lower than at the output. It's still a stupid laser to own though. Most laser labs start putting in serious controls (interlocks, safety goggles, etc.) when the laser classification is Class 3B.

Edit: Class 3B being lasers >5mW

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Laser pointer of death + alcohol + trying to light a cigarette = high likelihood of blindness. Then you'd drop the bottle of vodka, accidentally set fire to the puddle with the pointer and burn horribly.

I bet these aren't legal in the UK. D:

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Laser pointer of death + alcohol + trying to light a cigarette = high likelihood of blindness. Then you'd drop the bottle of vodka, accidentally set fire to the puddle with the pointer and burn horribly.

I bet these aren't legal in the UK. D:

More likely catch a reflection of a shiny surface and blind the bartender. Hells, even diffuse viewing (from a non-reflective material) is dangerous at Class 4 without the use of eye-protection. HSE legislation on the control and use of lasers only became law though recently, and I think that only applies to employees in the workplace.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seeks wrote: »

This is a deadly weapon.

Scenario made me laugh, I'm not going to lie.

It's that little bastard up there with the lightsaber, arrest him officer!

It's illegal to carry things like this in public in Australia, or at least Sydney. A bunch of people were shining them at helicopters and planes and the like.

The green lasers are close enough to dangerous. This thing could cause permanent blindness.

electricitylikesme on