As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cooling down a hot room.

AdusAdus Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I live in South Florida. It's pretty hot down here. During the day my room reaches over 90 degrees. Yes, we have AC, but during the day it is set at 88. The reason for this is my stepdad has breathing issues that are triggered by sudden changes in temperature, so when he goes in and out during the day, he can't come back into a really cool house. This means I can't even turn it down when he's not here.

My room isn't too large. Probably a square 12x12 feet. I work from home and use the computer do to so, so it's on often. This is probably the main reason for it being even hotter in here.

On top of this, for reasons I'm not totally sure of, the community we're in won't allow window AC units or something, so that's out of the question.

I have a ceiling fan and another fan but those only help so much. Then at night when the AC finally turns on, it only goes down to like 85. This is a lot more tolerable but still pretty warm. So is there anything to help that I'm not thinking of? Or is my situation specific enough to where I'm really just out of luck?

Adus on

• Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you have about $300 to spare you can buy a portable 8000 b.t.u. air conditioner that sits inside the room and has a vent that attaches to your window. I've never used one, so I'm not sure how well they work.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is it humid?
    if not, you can make your own swamp cooler

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    is it humid?
    if not, you can make your own swamp cooler

South Florida

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In other words, yes, it is extremely humid.

Adus on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get a window fan and set it so that it it is blowing out during the day. It'll get some of that hot air out.

Does it cool down at all at night?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Get a window fan and set it so that it it is blowing out during the day. It'll get some of that hot air out.

Does it cool down at all at night?

Uh, that doesn't make any sense. Blowing the air out of the room just means it'll be replaced with air from somewhere else so unless that air is coming from someplace cooler (where?) it's just moving air around. In fact, it will only make the AC in the house work harder since it's venting the somewhat cooler air just to be replaced with warmer air from outside.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a fellow south Floridian, I don't think you have any real options here. :( I've got a ceiling fan and another fan in my room too, but during the summer months it gets pretty miserable even with our AC set lower than yours.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Could you do any investigation to why in the name of all that is good they don't allow window-based air conditioning units in your community? A simple 150 dollar air unit would chill your room down nice.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Probably because they look relatively tacky.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Our guys use these out in our machine shop. In a large room they help a little if you point it right at you. In a regular sized bedroom it should do the trick.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Probably because they look relatively tacky.

yeah a lot of places don't like them in windows because they're pretty ugly

and also they sometimes fall

Raneados on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It won't cool the room down, but spraying yourself with cool water and then having a fan blow over you will cool you down an intense amount.
    /advice from a fellow S. Floridian

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get a 9x13 metal baking pan (or, any size really, just whatever will fit in your freezer), fill it with water, and stick it in the freezer in the morning when you leave. Before you go to bed, pull it out and set it in front of a fan in your room, and voila, instant poor-man's air conditioner. Be sure to put it on a towel though, so the condensation doesn't dribble everywhere.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only thing you can do is block light from entring your room. Do you have a lot of glass/windows in your room? Awnings and stuff are the way to go.

This is the low tech solution and the only way I can think of to counteract the heating during the day that doesn't involve turning up the aircon.

My other plan is that you should break up your mother and step father, a small price to pay for temperature controlled comfort.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, try to keep as much of your electronic stuff off as often as possible. Turning off my computer and my TV helps a whole hell of a lot in keeping my room cooler.

I also second the blocking of any kind of sunlight. Get some cheap dark curtains to hang over any windows.

A good oscillating fan (perhaps one that is on a stand) to put somewhere as well, if the window AC units are out of the question. Hell, you should get two if space permits. They can be bought from any kind of big box store for around 20-50 bucks. I also have a tiny one for my desk that sits next to my monitor that helps.

tardcore on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dark curtains inside, light curtains outside - you definitely want a light colour on the window side.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Portable AC will solve it all!

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I honestly wasn't even aware those existed. Seems like the most sensible, albeit expensive solution. It's so hot in here that I'd consider it worth it though. Thanks guys.

Though to clarify, I can't keep my computer off, since as I said, I work from home and use my computer to do so. It's during the day that I do my work (since I have to collaborate with others fairly often) so there isn't a great deal of flexibility. Also the one window is pretty well covered. An awning or something to shade it even more would probably help a bit too, though. Not sure if that's as practical or worth the effort.

Adus on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get a dehumidifier.

It's cheaper than a portable air conditioner and should help considerably.

Sipex on
  • Options
    darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you go with the portable AC unit like people are suggesting, keep a couple of things in mind:

They're a lot more expensive larger than the equivalent BTU window unit.

They need access to a unit or a through-wall exhaust at minimum. They can be a bit less efficient than a window unit, mostly because some are exhaust-only (they blow the hot air out through the window only). Some units also have an intake hose as well, but they have the possibility of ingesting their own exhaust (they usually have diverters on the outside to help prevent this, but...), so I can't really speak to whether that feature works well.

Also, unlike a window unit, they collect their own condensate. You'll be frequently dumping a waste bin full of water. It fills up faster that you think. Some can be adapted to a hose drain, but that's another thing you ahve to plumb outside (or to a floor drain). Those so equipped may have significant limitations on the height that the drain line can extend above the unit (so much so that running the hose outside the same window you'd be wenting through isn't an option. You'd ahve to check the manual, that's not usually something on the box. Some units (there's at least one manufacturer) are made to vent waste water out the exhaust, rather than collect it. Check reviews to see if that's a gimmick or no...

If there's any way around it, I'd recommend a window unit. I found a very low-profile unit at Sears that weighed very little and that I could mount in my window with no permanent hardware. When the seasons changed, I could just open the window, lift it out and stoe it in the garage. It was hidden by a hedge entirely, so despite my HOA restriction forbidding it, I didn't get any complaints. One of my neighbors was on the board and commented on it, but she said she only knew I had it because she'd seen the box in the trash, and told me not to worry about it. If it's not visible, you could just try playing it that way. The difference in cost (purchase and operation) between a window and a floor unit was so great, I chose to chance it and it worked out fine.

darkgrue on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    darkgrue wrote: »
    If you go with the portable AC unit like people are suggesting, keep a couple of things in mind:

They're a lot more expensive larger than the equivalent BTU window unit.

They need access to a unit or a through-wall exhaust at minimum. They can be a bit less efficient than a window unit, mostly because some are exhaust-only (they blow the hot air out through the window only). Some units also have an intake hose as well, but they have the possibility of ingesting their own exhaust (they usually have diverters on the outside to help prevent this, but...), so I can't really speak to whether that feature works well.

Also, unlike a window unit, they collect their own condensate. You'll be frequently dumping a waste bin full of water. It fills up faster that you think. Some can be adapted to a hose drain, but that's another thing you ahve to plumb outside (or to a floor drain). Those so equipped may have significant limitations on the height that the drain line can extend above the unit (so much so that running the hose outside the same window you'd be wenting through isn't an option. You'd ahve to check the manual, that's not usually something on the box. Some units (there's at least one manufacturer) are made to vent waste water out the exhaust, rather than collect it. Check reviews to see if that's a gimmick or no...

If there's any way around it, I'd recommend a window unit. I found a very low-profile unit at Sears that weighed very little and that I could mount in my window with no permanent hardware. When the seasons changed, I could just open the window, lift it out and stoe it in the garage. It was hidden by a hedge entirely, so despite my HOA restriction forbidding it, I didn't get any complaints. One of my neighbors was on the board and commented on it, but she said she only knew I had it because she'd seen the box in the trash, and told me not to worry about it. If it's not visible, you could just try playing it that way. The difference in cost (purchase and operation) between a window and a floor unit was so great, I chose to chance it and it worked out fine.

Also another thing to consider is, especially since you're running your compy in your room, is be mindful of what your breaker for your room can handle, those portable units suck A LOT of amps. I think mine hits like 4-6 depending on how hard it's running. You'll want to make sure that thing doesn't trip your breaker if your wiring is kinda wonky (like my condo in which two bedrooms, the lamps in the closets, and several nearby hallway lights and switches all tied to one 15 amp breaker.) I basically had to give up using the portable AC because it would always trip the breaker due to the screwy breaker setup

This discussion has been closed.