As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bit Torrent and my Connection.

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
I've had this problem for a while. I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

I use µTorrent for my Bit Torrent needs. It's a great program, but I keep running into a very annoying problem; I can't seem to let it run on for too long without my connection suddenly dying, forcing me to reset my modem. I need to stabilize this asap. I just got into the FF14 alpha, which uses bit torrent files to download its huge content patches. 20 gigabytes of it.

I have a Cox high speed internet connection in San Diego and am running under Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition. Please help!

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hate you.

Bandwidth cap [uploads] it is what I would do.

Edit

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Probably the number of connections is causing the router to use all of its available memory causing it to lock. Do a quick google of your router+torrent and see if other people are having issues.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll look it up. For the record, I have a Netgear RP614!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Go to this website and apply the configuration accord to your bandwith. Apply to every bittorrent client.
    http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_settings

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Go to this website and apply the configuration accord to your bandwith. Apply to every bittorrent client.

I don't use Azureus. That guide is... well, it's greek to me. Speedtest rated me at 3.93 Mb/s download speed, .87 Mb/s upload speed.

I assume that's... what. 3,930 kb/s, 870 kb/s? I set it up according to a speed of 768 according to that chart.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I don't use Azureus. That guide is... well, it's greek to me. Speedtest rated me at 3.93 Mb/s download speed, .87 Mb/s upload speed.

I assume that's... what. 3,930 kb/s, 870 kb/s? I set it up according to a speed of 768 according to that chart.

Those parameters works for every bittorrent client.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Those parameters works for every bittorrent client.

Haven't been disconnected yet. If it keeps up I'll update.

EDIT: Just got DC'd. I don't know. Some sites just say that the RP614 just doesn't like uTorrent. Am I better off buying a newer router at this rate?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's probably not the bandwidth that's causing trouble, but your router being unable to handle the needed number of near-simultaneous connections. You can try consulting this link, it outlines the problem and is not just for DD-WRT.

Excerpt:
    Issues occur with many routers, including routers running DD-WRT, when using the router with heavy P2P applications. The router becomes 'slow' over time, and restarting helps for a short time. Some symptoms can be:
    Slow web-interface, or cannot connect at all to web interface
    Slowing transfer of data, e.g. browsing, after a reboot
    Not responding to ping
    Router Crash or even rebooting
    Usually the culprits are heavy P2P software like Emule, Bittorrent, uTorrent, Azureus, Shareaza or something similar. These programs, by default, can require a lot of connections which could cause the routers' ip_conntrack table to get full.
    Especially BitTorrent's DHT feature sends thousands of UDP packets that quickly overflow this table.
    Routers affected with this issue are the most common types of routers running DD-WRT.

In short, turn off DHT and limit the number of active connections. Limiting your upload is good too, but for other reasons (like being able to browse the web with torrents running, i.e. a primitive form of QoS).

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What's a recommended number of connections? I'm at 250.

Set it to 100. Let's see what happens. Found DHT and turned it off.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Try a hundred? It depends on your routers capabilities (like the amount of RAM and the time it keeps connections in it, which is what the article I mentioned talked about), so you might need to use some trial and error.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smooth sailing so far, thanks.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had terrible download speeds with uTorrent with version 2.0.1 or 2. I downgraded to 2.0 and it went back to normal. Before I downgraded I woldn't get over 10kb/sec.
    I haven't actually checked if there has been a fix for that in an update, but I haven't needed to try. Worth checking it out if what you've done already does fix it.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Disconnected going at a 350 kb/s cap. I think 300 is the optimal speed.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You connection dies most likely because your router is holding the TCP connections open far too long. By default, most routers do this because they aren't pre-configured for torrenting.

You will want to get into your router and adjust your TCP timeout setting. I think 180 seconds is the sweet spot for me. Then you don't have to bother throttling the bandwich, and still use other Internet programs without overloading your router with TCP connections.

If you use DD-WRT, here is a handy guide:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown#Solution

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png