As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Broke - Need Some Confirmation

LorekLorek Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was happily playing Oblivion when all of a sudden the game crashes, followed by a BSOD. The file given for the problem was some file starting with an n, can't recall it precisely but it looked like it was probably an nvidia file.

Anyway, after rebooting, there were random blocks of blue going across my bios startup screens. At one point when the bios lists all my devices on their IRQ channels, it just ended up writing garbage characters instead. The PC still managed to boot into Windows 7, but I'm in the default 800x600 resolution, and there a bunch of smaller blue squares in rows all across my monitor.

I let my PC sit off for about an hour to cool just in case, but same problem when I booted up again. I'm about 99% sure my video card just decided to devour itself, but the garbage characters on bootup makes me wonder if that could be motherboard or something... is the video card involved with display at that early a point?

So I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that its the video card or what else it could be. I only have this one PC so I can't really test parts in other machines.

Lorek on

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like a video issue to me. Try updating your drivers, and make sure the fan on the video card can spin freely.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If your computer has a built-in video port, try plugging the monitor into that and see what the results are.

If you installed new drivers without uninstalling the old ones, take all video card drivers off your system and reinstall a fresh set. Make sure your card didn't become unseated.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fan is spinning according to my BIOS and my hand feeling the air when I hover below it.

Went to Nvidias webpage to grab the latest drivers; the auto-detect said I was using version 0.0; installed the latest driver, but no luck :cry:

Just noticed that Windows actually has the device stopped since its not functioning, with a code 43.

Lorek on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What OS? What card?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Windows 7, GeForce 8800 GTX.

No port directly on the motherboard unfortunately. The video card has two monitor ports, but both are doing the same thing.
    Un-installed the drivers and let windows install its base set, no change.

Lorek on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I did a little research and it appears you aren't the only one with this nVidia issue.

Unfortunately, other than buying a new card, the only solution I could find was baking the video card in an oven. I'm not vouching for that solutions validity.

It actually seems to be pretty common in the 8800 series cards, and the best I could figure the issue was is bad video card RAM.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You could also try updating your computers BIOS.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I did a little research and it appears you aren't the only one with this nVidia issue.

Unfortunately, other than buying a new card, the only solution I could find was baking the video card in an oven. I'm not vouching for that solutions validity.

It actually seems to be pretty common in the 8800 series cards, and the best I could figure the issue was is bad video card RAM.

This looks like it may be it; seems to be exactly whats described in that thread, and my video card would be just about 2-3 years old, also like in that thread. I guess its head on over to the PC parts store tomorrow; I guess this can be locked now, thanks everyone.

Lorek on