As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS Announced Software List: Pilotwings, MGS, Bomberman, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sort of sucks that the touch screen can't be 3D. So actual touch screen games won't have 3D at all except in whatever fluff they put on the upper screen. I wonder if that means Nintendo will finally ditch touch screen Zelda :o

Zek on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Sort of sucks that the touch screen can't be 3D. So actual touch screen games won't have 3D at all except in whatever fluff they put on the upper screen. I wonder if that means Nintendo will finally ditch touch screen Zelda :o

Your hand/stylus would break the immersion of it.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is like the best handheld launch since the GBA came out.

Anyone remember those launch titles? Lady Sia ( loved it ) Super Dodgeball ( loved it ) THPS2 ( loved it ) Castlevania: Circle of the Moon ( Loved it ) Super Mario Bros 2 Advanced ( Loved it )

This is the kind of potential the 3ds has. Hell, a new Kid Icarus? New Mario Kart? OOT remake? MGS Snake Eater?

Im fucking sold. I will PREORDER this thing.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drswords wrote: »
    Im mainly posting this to get this on the front page, but i will also continue the discussion.

Was i the only person that liked Bloodrayne, as low calibre as the games were? I mean slicing up and feeding on nazis was fun. I wouldnt mind a bit of that on the 3ds.

I like both Bloodrayne games quite a bit even with 2 being a bit buggy. I thought this franchise was dead, though. I think the last thing Terminal Reality did was Ghostbusters.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

I've said it elsewhere: fundamentally, the 3D is a gimmick. It's something they probably feel they need to add to "hide" the fact that the 3DS is "just" an upgraded DS; since the DS introduced new technology and the DSi also introduced new technology (the camera), they probably feel that every major hardware revision has to have something more than just morer gooderer jiggaflops. (This is in spite of the fact that both fans and developers have been pining for a straight-up stronger DS for years and would not complain at all.) The fact that the 3D can be turned off should tell you everything you need to know - it's a gimmick designed to wow the casual crowd.

With a software lineup like this, though, who needs gimmicks? Christ.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Must have job before release....

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »

I've said it elsewhere: fundamentally, the 3D is a gimmick. It's something they probably feel they need to add to "hide" the fact that the 3DS is "just" an upgraded DS; since the DS introduced new technology and the DSi also introduced new technology (the camera), they probably feel that every major hardware revision has to have something more than just morer gooderer jiggaflops. (This is in spite of the fact that both fans and developers have been pining for a straight-up stronger DS for years and would not complain at all.) The fact that the 3D can be turned off should tell you everything you need to know - it's a gimmick designed to wow the casual crowd.

With a software lineup like this, though, who needs gimmicks? Christ.

The 3D does little to interest me, its the graphics of the new games. Holy damn. They might not be Current-gen level but they sure as heck look better than PSP.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't doubt Nintendo when they said they have been trying 3D for a while. Gamecube was designed to be capable of playing 3D. Everyone remembers the Virtuaboy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm waiting for the inevitable Ace Attorney/Professor Layton puzzles that make you look at the underside of an object and combine the 3D + motion sensors for visual awesomeness.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Voth wrote: »
    Drswords wrote: »
    Im mainly posting this to get this on the front page, but i will also continue the discussion.

Was i the only person that liked Bloodrayne, as low calibre as the games were? I mean slicing up and feeding on nazis was fun. I wouldnt mind a bit of that on the 3ds.

I like both Bloodrayne games quite a bit even with 2 being a bit buggy. I thought this franchise was dead, though. I think the last thing Terminal Reality did was Ghostbusters.

And Ghostbusters was fucking fantastic. But I digress, im like the only person who played it on PC.

Bloodrayne was one of those guilty pleasures. A solid 7.0 game that was just fun.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The launch line-up for this is insane!

Granted, much of what's got me excited are the remakes and ports, and the rest are sequels. But shit dude, new Kid Icarus/Sin and Punishment lovechild, Pilotwings, Mariokart, Resident Evil, Professor Layton and 3D ports of Star Fox 64 (the best Star Fox), Ocarina of Time (among the best games of its generation), Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (the best Splinter Cell), Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater (the best Metal Gear Solid), and Street Fighter 4? And the graphics all look great, in widescreen, and lest we forget, 3D?

And we can watch 3D movies on it too?! All this thing needs now is some kind of XboxLive or Steam online interface and it'll pretty much be the biggest thing since the iPod/iPhone.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be willing to camp out on day one for a handheld, but looks like you got me Nintendo.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The launch line-up for this is insane!

Granted, much of what's got me excited are the remakes and ports, and the rest are sequels. But shit dude, new Kid Icarus/Sin and Punishment lovechild, Pilotwings, Mariokart, Resident Evil, Professor Layton and 3D ports of Star Fox 64 (the best Star Fox), Ocarina of Time, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (the best Splinter Cell), Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater (the best Metal Gear Solid), and Street Fighter 4? And the graphics all look great, in widescreen, and lest we forget, 3D?

And we can watch 3D movies on it too?! All this thing needs now is some kind of XboxLive or Steam online interface and it'll pretty much be the biggest thing since the iPod/iPhone.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be willing to camp out on day one for a handheld, but looks like you got me Nintendo.

Im preordering that shit on Amazon. And having 1 day delivery.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i wonder if they'll have online functionality for games like Star Fox and, god help me, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

I don't know if I could handle being able to play Spies vs Mercenaries anywhere I have a wireless connection...

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I guess I'm the only one to notice the "Super Robot franchise" announcement on that list. An SRW game? For the 3DS? Nothing like that's been announced yet! And it's on Namco's list! Does that mean it'll come to the States?! And what the hell could it be?! A Lord of the Elementals port? OG3? An actual, honest-to-god SRW game overseas?! AGH WHY IS THE PRESS NOT ASKING MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS.

I'm always hesitant to get excited about new SRW games that are released outside of Japan. None of them were very good at all, and had pretty tiny rosters.

Fingers crossed, though.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The announcement of vanilla SMT is full of potential. A reenvisioning of the original? Which has never been officially localized?

A new Strange Journey esque game?

Really, hoping for the first. Everyone needs to play that game, and an Etrian Odyssey style remake would be perfect.

It's probably a placeholder for an as-yet-unnamed SMT title or spinoff game. Ditto for the listing for "SMT: Persona"; I'd be surprised if that listing wasn't actually referring to a 3DS port of P3 Portable. Atlus being Atlus, the listing for Devil Survivor could be a FES/Maniax-style enhanced remake, or a sequel to the original.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i wonder if they'll have online functionality for games like Star Fox and, god help me, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

I don't know if I could handle being able to play Spies vs Mercenaries anywhere I have a wireless connection...

Between the last DS StarFox game having online multi and Nintendo vaguely waving their arms about the 3DS having new online features, I'll be surprised if SF643D (what a mouthful) doesn't have online functionality.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's awesome that they are effectively iterating on the DS. Just the amount of announced games and developers that are already on-board with dev kits is unprecedented. I cannot freaking wait - I just hope the first SKU doesn't have any obvious deficiencies.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    donhonk wrote: »
    When can I get this damn thing in my hands. When.

Considering that no one has yet said "available this Christmas," I'd wager my pet rooster it'll be Spring 2011.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Friends codes. PLEASE AT LEAST JUST HAVE SYSTEM SPECIFIC FRIENDS CODES AND NOT GAME SPECIFIC ONES.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gtrmp wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The announcement of vanilla SMT is full of potential. A reenvisioning of the original? Which has never been officially localized?

A new Strange Journey esque game?

Really, hoping for the first. Everyone needs to play that game, and an Etrian Odyssey style remake would be perfect.

It's probably a placeholder for an as-yet-unnamed SMT title or spinoff game. Ditto for the listing for "SMT: Persona"; I'd be surprised if that listing wasn't actually referring to a 3DS port of P3 Portable. Atlus being Atlus, the listing for Devil Survivor could be a FES/Maniax-style enhanced remake, or a sequel to the original.

Does P4 have a PSP port yet? Maybe that's what they're doing.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Friends codes. PLEASE AT LEAST JUST HAVE SYSTEM SPECIFIC FRIENDS CODES AND NOT GAME SPECIFIC ONES.

They'll just have friend codes in 3D.
    Which means 2 friend codes per game, one for each eye.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, not completely understanding what they were saying about persistent online, but I do remember specifically mentioning it working despite switching out games or something

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like Starfox 64 but the original is still the one I love the most. If only it was 60fps ...

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I still don't know how I feel about Friend Codes in general. I mean, I get the idea behind it, but it just seems more convenient to be able to hook-up with strangers via quickmatching.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why is nobody exited there's Paper Mario coming to the 3DS?

Paper Mario, people!

The series that brought us two of the best games on their systems

(Now we're all just gonna close our eyes and pretend that Super Paper Mario didn't happen, okay?)

Wingo on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, not completely understanding what they were saying about persistent online, but I do remember specifically mentioning it working despite switching out games or something

All I want is bigger friend code lists

Come on

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wingo wrote: »

Paper Mario, people!

(Now we're all just gonna close our eyes and pretend that Super Paper Mario didn't happen, okay?)

No word of a lie. I though you were joking. Just checked and I think I need another drink.

So many games.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From looking at the release list you can really tell it's been easy to sell developers on this thing. Popularity of the DS, combined with far better graphics, combined with accessible 3D...

They probably just whip out the test system and don't have to say a word. Devs are begging to make stuff for it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Paper Mario, people!

No word of a lie. I though you were joking. Just checked and I think I need another drink.

So many games.

Screenshots of that game look gorgerous.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Paper Mario, people!

So many games.

Screenshots of that game look gorgerous.

Which reminds me!
    500x_papmar1.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I need portable Paper Mario now... and console Mario and Luigi.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I like the return to Thousand Year Door style!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Guys.

I don't know if anyone noticed yet but this 3DS thing looks pretty rad.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit

I did not know there were screenshots!
    My internet researching skills, they are failing me

My nerd mentality- you do not want to now what it compels me to do right now

...anyway, that looks really quite good! I like that the terrain seems to be less 2D-orientated than in TTYD. Also, no Paper Mario had Wigglers and these big stone dudes in them. I'm curious what will come next.

Wingo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guys.

I don't know if anyone noticed yet but this 3DS thing looks pretty rad.

Yeah but look at all the shovelware it's getting, sheesh.
    actually I will play any game they release for it, especially ports because hey, 3D

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to note that in a lot of ways it's graphics capability is better than the Wii's. Per pixel shading? Normal and specular maps? Yes please!

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd really like to see another 2d Mario game, something like New Super Mario Bros. I know it's a bit doubtful cause you know, 3D and all, but one can hope.

dclee on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit

I did not know there were screenshots!
    My internet researching skills, they are failing me

My nerd mentality- you do not want to now what it compels me to do right now

...anyway, that looks really quite good! I like that the terrain seems to be less 2D-orientated than in TTYD. Also, no Paper Mario had Wigglers and these big stone dudes in them. I'm curious what will come next.

big stone dudes?

GTFO!

Also I thought Super Paper Mario had thwomps.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would have liked Super Paper Mario 2. The concept had real potential with a bit more polish.
    Oh, well.

Xagarath on