As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Donkey Kong Country returns...

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    You know, something's that has bugged me for over a decade...

Why didn't Donkey Kong Country 3 just do a team-up of Donkey Kong and Dixie Kong instead of creating that abomination known as Kiddy Kong? There really was no need to have Donkey Kong get kidnapped by the same guy for a second game in a row just so you could replace him with a character with an identical moveset except with added crying due to being an infant (and/or "special").
    Donkey Kong's name is in the title, why is he playing second banana to some chump that doesn't even have the DK initials?

The start of the decline of Rare.

Really? I thought DK3 was one of the best. The bosses were fun (and not recycled, that I remember), the overworld with exploration had enough secrets to be fun, without being annoying, and the levels were WAY more varied than the previous 2 games (the high jump level, the lightning strike level, the race level). Sure Kiddy wasn't great, but the gameplay was ridiculously solid.

He didn't say it was like a sudden drop like the ocean reef. Just the start of the decline.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    MINECART LEVEL

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    im starting to regret giving away my wii to my brother for christmas.

he better buy me a 3ds that silly fucking goose

hadoken on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shaky-cam gameplay footage showing a boss battle

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-donkey-kong/101647

Zxerol on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DKC is pretty meh, DKC2 was awesome. DKC3 I think I did about 8 levels and never felt like wanting to play it ever again.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    MINECART LEVEL

Bah, rails.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Shaky-cam gameplay footage showing a boss battle

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-donkey-kong/101647

Haha, I love that campy Batman style banana spin.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I liked DKC and its sequels a lot. The music in there got me hooked on video game scores in general. I even had working notes on a DK level editor, which is an idea I stole from two of my friends, but I eventually burned those because some levels of geekery are simply shameful.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks friggin awesome. I'll buy it, and enjoy it, from the looks of it. The lively and interactive environments are bangin'.

Although, I would still like a better 3D DK game some day. It seems like the straight up 3d platformer is becoming a lost art nowadays (aside from the Mario Galaxy series).

I always wanted something more on-rails like Crash Bandicoot for a 3D DK, not the convoluted Banjo-Tooie-esque collectathon nightmare we got in DK64.

Metatrad on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    It looks like enemies are capable of damaging both Kongs, thus why get some HP now. And it looks like your lives can summon a DK Barrel if you want one.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Well, looks like I need to fire up the Wii and refresh my memory.

Do we know if this is a full retail title or a Wiiware title yet?

It's a full retail title.

Bleh. Guess I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin. It looks good and all, but it's like shmups - I can't justify paying $50-$60 on a 2D platformer anymore. Great stuff like Splosion Man for $10 (or for that matter, all the SNES DKCs for $8 a piece) has spoiled me.

EDIT: That bit before the trailer started really rubbed me the wrong way. "Retro wanted to do something new...so we stuck them with a different old Nintendo series." Man, did anyone show anything cool at E3 this year that wasn't a remake or a sequel?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GotY last year was a 2D platformer easily worth $100 that only cost $50!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GotY last year was a 2D platformer easily worth $100 that only cost $50!

I assume you're referring to NSMB Wii - aka, Nintendo has run out of ideas and nobody seems to care? The best 2D platformer of last year was $10 and goes by the name of Splosion Man. After that, I'd probably go with Prinny (which was also available for $10 for a brief period of time) or one of the LocoRocos.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Well, looks like I need to fire up the Wii and refresh my memory.

Do we know if this is a full retail title or a Wiiware title yet?

It's a full retail title.

Bleh. Guess I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bin. It looks good and all, but it's like shmups - I can't justify paying $50-$60 on a 2D platformer anymore. Great stuff like Splosion Man for $10 (or for that matter, all the SNES DKCs for $8 a piece) has spoiled me.

EDIT: That bit before the trailer started really rubbed me the wrong way. "Retro wanted to do something new...so we stuck them with a different old Nintendo series." Man, did anyone show anything cool at E3 this year that wasn't a remake or a sequel?

It hasn't proven to be a profitable venture to do anything but. Look at the state of the movie industry, and you'll find that the games industry is lagging some years behind it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They usually dump new ideas into existing franchises, or if they ever make a new and original IP it probably has franchising potential.

hadoken on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And the thing is, I don't have anything against sequels to great games. The game I'm most excited about this E3 so far is a sequel to a sequel (Pac-Man: CE DX) and with the 3DS getting sequels to practically every series in existence, my desire to get one has skyrocketed. It's just I was looking forward to seeing what new thing Retro would be cooking up after being done with Metroid so it's highly disappointed to see that now they're just stuck with another old series.

For what it's worth, I do think DKCR looks a lot better than NSMBW or that Wario game that came out on the Wii a while ago so if the game is of sufficiently high quality and of good length, I might be persuaded to pick it up new.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd imagine that to a designer if you were asked to do something for a well-respected franchise like Donkey Kong you would be getting to do "something new" even if it were within the tight confines of oversight from Nintendo. Not everybody gets to make a Zelda or Donkey Kong game, no matter how similar they are.

If they want to try a side project with their own idea, I am certain they could try it if they wanted. There are vision people and there are people who put those visions to work. Seems to me they got what they wanted out of it and in the end it looks like we'll get what we wanted. A good game.

I can't grudge them for that and I am not certain why anybody would look down at them for what is assuredly a ridiculous opportunity.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    2D games don't have to be and shouldn't be relegated to the download services/small price points. Everyone is welcome to their opinion but I personally will gladly pay the asking price for both DKCR and Kirby this year.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I never really liked dkc aside from the music, but if retro's doing it i'm on board.

Food on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm kinda bummed out by the lack of Kremlings, but apart from that it looks awesome. Sign me up.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    2D games don't have to be and shouldn't be relegated to the download services/small price points. Everyone is welcome to their opinion but I personally will gladly pay the asking price for both DKCR and Kirby this year.

It's not so much the 2D part as much as it is the platformer part. DKC2 was a great game...15 years ago. A high quality DKC sequel would have been much appreciated back then. Now, after N+, Mirror's Edge, Splosion Man, LocoRoco, LBP, Mario Galaxy, VVVVV, and countless other high quality platformers, my enthusiasm is noticeably dampened. I'll keep an eye on the game for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There is an Iwata Asks feature on DKCR now.

Dritz on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved DKC, never beat DKC2. Could never manuever the goddamn parrot to kill the giant bee boss.

However, I beat the hell out of the Donkey Kong Land 2 that came with my Game Boy Pocket.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh boy, the sounds and music in that trailer..my mind is traveling back in time. I am cautiously optimistic.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

- In development for a long time
    - Simultaneous co-op
    - Miyamato is still a dick to western developers
    - Diddy has a jet pack, carries Donkey
    - Music from series will stay intact

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

that's music from dkc series right and not that painful piece of shit dk64?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's not so much the 2D part as much as it is the platformer part. DKC2 was a great game...15 years ago. A high quality DKC sequel would have been much appreciated back then. Now, after N+, Mirror's Edge, Splosion Man, LocoRoco, LBP, Mario Galaxy, VVVVV, and countless other high quality platformers, my enthusiasm is noticeably dampened. I'll keep an eye on the game for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

That's how I feel about Mario/Zelda games (at least on consoles).

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DubsDubs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I never thought they would come out with another one of these i must have been wrong.
    Can't wait to get a hold of it.

Dubs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

- Simultaneous co-op

Considering Rare was the one that actually breathed life back into Donkey Kong, Miyamato really does not have much right to be like that. What I mean is that he does not technically own the current incarnation of Donkey Kong.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Eh didn't get to much of a bad vibe. I'm sure they let the Retro guys mostly do their own things. Also of note from the interview is one of the Retro guys was involved with the original DKCs.

Dritz on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Miyamoto doesn't like DKC too much, remember? Back when it was being made they tried to get him to make Yoshi's Island use the same style of rendered sprites and he was like "fuck y'all, I'm going with storybook instead!"

Opty on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

- Simultaneous co-op

Considering Rare was the one that actually breathed life back into Donkey Kong, Miyamato really does not have much right to be like that. What I mean is that he does not technically own the current incarnation of Donkey Kong.

The breathed life into it then subsequently killed it by the third installment and violated the corpse with 64.

I don't quite understand what you mean by not owning DK since the last few great DK games last Gen were by his hand picked ninja teams .

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    granted, the baby was idiotic. but aside form that i consider DKC3 a game that is executed flawlessly.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

- Simultaneous co-op

The breathed life into it then subsequently killed it by the third installment and violated the corpse with 64.

I don't quite understand what you mean by not owning DK since the last few great DK games last Gen were by his hand picked ninja teams .

I am just saying Rare built the foundation for the new DK. He can't take full credit for the characters and the gameplay of the DKC series. It does, however, seem that allot of the extra characters made by Rare have faded out.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    carmofin wrote: »
    granted, the baby was idiotic. but aside form that i consider DKC3 a game that is executed flawlessly.

The character designs sucked, they added mandatroy fetch quests, it was another game that did not let me use Donkey kong. The level design was lazy and they made every effort to show us they were going to make us collect buzzbongs and whizbudgetas for the remainder of their tenure at Nintendo

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Which, I'm sure, is why Miyamoto had little respect for Rare.

I'm looking forward to this! Rare isn't involved, so that's great. But I'm worried their influence on the earlier games is going to negatively impact the new ones. I can't say I was very fond of how they played.

I like rocketing out of barrels, though.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I enjoyed all 3 DKCs and DK64.

I, for one, welcome our new 2-D sidescrolling platform overlords.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Huh, the mine cart levels actually look like fun. I've got a lot more hope for this now that I know Retro’s involved. It’s kind of a shame the graphics look worse in some ways than the old prerendered games on the SNES, though. I’d prefer the see the reboot on the successor to the Wii, since graphical quality was always such a big part of the draw for the 2-D series.

Also, I’m curious, am I in the majority in thinking that DKC2 was the best entry in the series? I really liked the look, the music, the pirate theme, and the difficulty level. DKC1 was a tad simplistic, and DKC3 was somewhat cluttered, with annoying character designs.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Y'know, while I'm not going to say Miyamoto was completely justified in acting the way he did... I can kind of see his point. I can pick up Yoshi's Island today, and it's still a flipping awesome game all around and a joy to play. Or basically any Mario game made long ago.

Donkey Kong Country on the other hand... I played it when it first came out, and my jaw dropped like the rest of the world. Good game, great music, and graphics that said to the world "The SNES will not go quietly into the night". But I replayed it a few years back, and the magic just wasn't there for me. The graphics, which kicked the pants off of the PS1 games back then now looked really weird for some reason, and the gameplay felt plain and spartan. Music was still kickass though. But for whatever reason, I simply couldn't get into the game again. It just felt dated to me.

Basically the long and short of it is, Miyamoto tends to make these timeless games that, well, stand up to time. While DKC didn't. And who knows, maybe he saw that way back then or something.

I don't really know though. That's just my opinion. I'm not saying DKC is crap, just that it wasn't really that much fun to play years later is all.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why is this thread only at four pages?

It is easily the most impressive-looking announcement at E3 and is the motivation in my recent decision to buy a Wii again

UnbreakableVow on