As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quitting Smoking.

BlutrasereiBlutraserei Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have made it the first 72 hours, and my cravings based on stress response are going down. There is still, however, the matter of this sensation I feel in my lungs. They feel tender or something. I have taken to using really strong gum and the vapors that ensue from it's chewing as a soothing agent. It works for the most part (because I used to smoke Camel Menthols..the ments that also have a menthol capsule? Smoooooth. Ohgod. Resist.)

I need to know if there are ways other than gum to help curb this, because for some reason when I feel that sensation it makes me want to smoke again. Other tips for fighting of various forms of craving would help too, just in case they happen to me as well.

Just to get it out of the way: I don't have the hand-to-mouth fixation, because I already gnaw a little on my fingernails anyway.

Tttnl.jpg

Blutraserei on

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eat mini-carrots instead of gnawing on your fingernails.

Nicotine patches help.

Inhale some steamy water for the "inhaling smoke" thing perhaps?

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

Nicotine patches help.

I like the carrots idea. Might help me get a little healthier.

I think I'm over the nicotine for now, but I'll consider a substitute if I figure out that i'm still having nicotine cravings.

And I think that my lungs are just in the healing process and are inflamed. I don't know if steam will help that. It crossed my mind, but I thought twice and figured I'd ask around to see if anyone else had done it.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    PaganPagan Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I used sugar-free lolly pops when I quit. It worked quite well.

Best of luck.

Pagan on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blu, i smoke the same brand the one you are trying to quit, so if you find something that seems to work really well, be sure to let us know.

Its a filthy, expensive habit, so good luck!

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you need the menthol hit, you can take a very small amount of vicks vapor rub and rub it right under your nostrils.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Congrats! Be strong. Remember the hardest part is you have to quit a day at a time. Just wake up in the morning and say, "I'm not smoking today". It gets easier.

Run the water in your sink until it's hot, then plug it and let it fill. Put a towel over your head that covers the sink and just breathe for a couple minutes... That should help a little.

I would imagine the issue will clear up as your lungs heal.

@Zephos: You could do what I did. Get completely hammered New Year's Eve, wake up New Years and swear off all vice forever... swearing off booze didn't stick, but I haven't smoked a single cigarette in 2010. :P

I stopped having the dreams where I was smoking about four months after quitting. I honestly haven't had a craving the entire time, but that's unusual for me (I've quit a million times), so I'm choosing to believe that means this time is the last time.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    200.jpg

One of these should help you get your menthol fix, minus the cancer stick. They clear the fuck outta your sinuses too!

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In my experience the worst part comes 2 - 3 weeks after quitting. At that point your sense of smell has returned to about normal sensitivity, and when someone smokes on the street you feel like following them around just for the sweet scent of cigarette smoke. The cravings can get really strong in such situations. There were mornings when I had to exert all my willpower to avoid asking someone on the bus stop for a cigarette, on the way to work.

And yeah, the dreams. I used to dream I was flying among clouds of cigarette smoke, and when I woke up I was all D:. I had horrible cravings after such dreams too.

You've got to be careful about stuff like smoking when drunk, having an "emergency smoke" in a very stressful situation etc. You'll be all "wow I didn't even remember how good this is!" and it'll be really easy to slip back into the habit. This happened to me, so that six months after quitting I was smoking again. Maybe I'll try again this fall... or sometime later...

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    I stopped having the dreams where I was smoking about four months after quitting. I honestly haven't had a craving the entire time, but that's unusual for me (I've quit a million times), so I'm choosing to believe that means this time is the last time.

Man, I still have those occasionally, and I quit over 9 years ago. But now when I have them, I always feel bad because in the dream I think, "Man, what am I doing? I broke my streak!"

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    You've got to be careful about stuff like smoking when drunk, having an "emergency smoke" in a very stressful situation etc. You'll be all "wow I didn't even remember how good this is!" and it'll be really easy to slip back into the habit. This happened to me, so that six months after quitting I was smoking again. Maybe I'll try again this fall... or sometime later...

This is always what happens to me...I'll get drunk and just go buy the pack. I wake up the next morning and am like "well might as well just finish the pack and then quit again." Rinse and repeat. I've found that if I have the gum at the bar it keeps me from doing this...not mainly because the gum kills the craving (though it helps) but because even drunk it's taking a specific action in place of the smoking. Somehow that solves the problem in my head.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, my lungs hurt for weeks after I quit smoking.

What I did was go on bike rides. Short ones, at first, because my lungs just couldn't handle it. I always had a coughing fit at the end, but I think it helped to clear all of that nasty gunky shit out of there. Within a half hour I felt much better than I had prior to the bike ride.

Instead of mini-carrots I chewed on the cap of an ink pen. Worked just as well.

I'm completely over smoking now to the point where I smell a cigarette and just think "That's fucking disgusting," but I still have the dreams where I smoke. Doubt those will ever go away.

Kingthlayer on
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't have anything to say about the lung sensation.

I would suggest reading this free book: http://ffnicotine.com/free.html

I can be tough to read at times ("self helpy" and repetitive) but it has good information.

Don't use the gum/patches, or any other product with nicotine in it.

I'm about 9 weeks in myself.

Arlington on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Nicotine patches help.

Damn, the thing I was going to say and someone already said it in the first post. Carrot sticks are a good thing to do with your hands and are healthy too.

Anyway, yeah it is very hard, you need to remove yourself from the situations where you usually smoke to have any hope of sucess.

Casual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for all the replies, fellow quitters.

I might try the Vicks inhaler, sounds good. Might even cool the sensation in my lungs a bit too. I am fortunate to have only really smoked for about 4 months now, but it got really heavy here recently, and I decided it was time to quit before the habit got any worse.

I was walking downtown with a lady friend last night towards my favorite pub and immediately had a strong craving because I normally smoke a lot in social situations or in pubs. I did very well and still haven't had one.

Blutraserei on
    Tttnl.jpg

• Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If absolutely nothing works, you might want try getting a prescription for Bupropion. It's prescribed as an anti-depressant and smoking cessation aid.

I started taking it for depression several months ago. It's worked like a champ in that regard. But I was an on-and-off smoker for a couple years before, and once I started taking it, I found quitting to be almost effortless. That was a nice bonus.

Obviously, you should consult with your doctor beforehand.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Casual wrote: »

Nicotine patches help.

Damn, the thing I was going to say and someone already said it in the first post. Carrot sticks are a good thing to do with your hands and are healthy too.

Anyway, yeah it is very hard, you need to remove yourself from the situations where you usually smoke to have any hope of sucess.

Just be aware, though, that if you eat a bag of baby carrots in a day you aren't really being "healthier" than if you ate nothing instead. If carrots keep you from eating potato chips or candy all day, that's "better", but all things in moderation.

The hardest part for me (quit a year and a half ago) was keeping myself BUSY. I only really wanted cigarettes when I was sitting around doing nothing. When you find yourself craving a cigarette, start doing something that takes a lot of attention and activity. Drag out some sort of arts/crafts thing. Mow the lawn. Clean something. Build something. Dont just sit on your ass and think about wanting a smoke.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Nicotine patches help.

Just be aware, though, that if you eat a bag of baby carrots in a day you aren't really being "healthier" than if you ate nothing instead. If carrots keep you from eating potato chips or candy all day, that's "better", but all things in moderation.

The hardest part for me (quit a year and a half ago) was keeping myself BUSY. I only really wanted cigarettes when I was sitting around doing nothing. When you find yourself craving a cigarette, start doing something that takes a lot of attention and activity. Drag out some sort of arts/crafts thing. Mow the lawn. Clean something. Build something. Dont just sit on your ass and think about wanting a smoke.

Well that's just it isn't it? Most methods of quitting smoking basically boil down to getting another less serious addiction to replace your addiction to cigs, then hoping that somewhere down the line you can rid yourself of that too. That's why people who quit often end up putting on weight. Yeah snarfing down a bag of carrots a day isn't ideal but it's a hell of a lot better than a pack of cigs.

The first few weeks of quitting is the hardest part so you should allow yourself to do whatever it takes short of convincing yourself that "just one more" will make it easier. After that ridding yourself of a dependence on carrots should be pretty easy.

Casual on