As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine: Basically, a Gears of War Mod?

widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Details are pretty thin at this point; pretty much an "action RPG" with your standard genetically modified bromance where Orks invade Forgeworld/uncovering chaos conspiracy/exterminatus/the end plot, but this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tH9PUa1D44

Gameplay looks a lot like Gears of War oddly enough, but this did not diminish the width or girth of my massive nerd stiffy.

Anyone know any other details about this?

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
widowson on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It has massive potential to be an Action RTS hybrid like Battlezone and Brutal Legend. As in, controlling a super-strong Hero unit while commanding an army of humans or Orks.

I really wish that's the direction it goes in. If it does that it will be a must buy for me. If not, it's a generic 3rd person shooter and I pass.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could seriously dig if they just made it like Republic Commando.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    It has massive potential to be an Action RTS hybrid like Battlezone and Brutal Legend. As in, controlling a super-strong Hero unit while commanding an army of humans or Orks.

I really wish that's the direction it goes in. If it does that it will be a must buy for me. If not, it's a generic 3rd person shooter and I pass.

Yea uh... I hope it does not. Cause Brutal Legend... yea. Not really a good game. Not really known for its good gameplay. Not really. Not uh, not that game's thing.

Graphically, I think Space Marine looks good if you compare it to really zoomed-in Dawn of War 2. That sorta comparison really works in its favor. But... compared to something like Gears of War 2, there's a lot of detail that it's lacking. The textures don't look quite as impressive as Gears of War's.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not really a 3rd person shooter IIRC. It's a 3rd person action game, I don't think it's really cover based. Whilst you'll be using Bolters you'll also be using chainswords and thunder hammers. The earlier trailer also showcased jump packs.

Details beyond that are thin on the ground beyond that it's a console action game from Relic, but they may port it to PC if there's enough interest.

Oh, and that it features the UltraMarines.

subedii on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    It has massive potential to be an Action RTS hybrid like Battlezone and Brutal Legend. I really wish that's the direction it goes in. If it does that it will be a must buy for me.

Yea uh... I hope it does not. Cause Brutal Legend... yea. Not really a good game. Not really known for its good gameplay. Not really. Not uh, not that game's thing.

Only if you completely skip the multiplayer, refuse to clear the slight learning curve, and wedge your head deep in your ass. Brutal Legend is Sacrifice on a console. They combined Action with RTS, nothing more, and nothing wrong with it. Like it's PC predecessor. Everyone and every reviewer that attempted to learn it, enjoyed it. Everyone, and every reviewer who didn't enjoy it automatically knocked it for having light RTS elements and made no effort to learn it or tell it apart from Halo Wars.

If they announce this game gave you command over AI units in the middle of the action, would that automatically make it shit?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's hoping it plays better than gears of bore.

klok on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    klok wrote: »
    Here's hoping it plays better than gears of bore.

LOL good one brosef *fist pound*

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I figured it was more like Dynasty Warriors with Space Marines and Guns and Explosions and Flying parts and Better everything.

Previous trailer had Jump Pack Marine with Thunder Hammer jumping headlong into Ork swarm.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well the good thing is that Relic have a good starting position when it comes to anything 40K related. If you've played any DoW or DoW2 you know they've got a good idea of how brutal the universe is. The flipside is that as far as I'm aware, this is their first action game.

subedii on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    Well the good thing is that Relic have a good starting position when it comes to anything 40K related. If you've played any DoW or DoW2 you know they've got a good idea of how brutal the universe is. The flipside is that as far as I'm aware, this is their first action game.

There was that WW2 game they did on consoles. The fact that neither you or I can remember its name probably says enough about the quality.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not really a 3rd person shooter IIRC. It's a 3rd person action game, I don't think it's really cover based. Whilst you'll be using Bolters you'll also be using chainswords and thunder hammers. The earlier trailer also showcased jump packs.

Details beyond that are thin on the ground beyond that it's a console action game from Relic, but they may port it to PC if there's enough interest.

Oh, and that it features the UltraMarines.

Wouldn't that be kind of a... a departure for Relic though? Cause you play Dawn of War 1 and 2, and they really drill it into your head that you're supposed to take advantage of cover in the environment and hide behind crates or concrete blocks and stuff. Now they're gonna make a game that's even closer to the battlefield and just forgo a cover system? I can't see that happening.

You're right about the multitude of melee weapons, but I'm not sure that that really forces it out of a 3rd person shooter category. Many ranged weapons like heavy bolters and meltas and stormbolters and plasma guns exist. If you strap on a heavy bolter, it probably won't feel much like a 3rd person action game, right? Transformers War for Cybertron is a pretty good example of a game that really does justice to both ranged and melee attacks. It's a shooter, but the close combat attacks are really powerful and satisfying to use. There's a very nice balance between the two.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »

There was that WW2 game they did on consoles. The fact that neither you or I can remember its name probably says enough about the quality.

It is The Outfit that you are thinking of.

Which if you read the reviews say it has good multiplayer but lackluster single player. Kind of like Company of Heroes I guess in that regard?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

It is The Outfit that you are thinking of.

Which if you read the reviews say it has good multiplayer but lackluster single player. Kind of like Company of Heroes I guess in that regard?

Hey I liked the singleplayer in CoH, especially Opposing Fronts.

EDIT:

Anyway, I could imagine this game looking pretty cool if done properly (watch fullscreen HD for best results):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZKTRGY-f0

subedii on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For some reason Relic never seems to realize that bolters are not machine guns, they are rapid-fire rocket launchers. The rocket launcher from Doom 1 is the closest approximation to a bolter in games.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always thought of Bolter ammunition as hyper-explosive super bullets. Kinda like rockets but more like bullets.

I hope this is a great game that gets an awesome PC port. I want to slug a WarBoss with a Power Fist.

Drake on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolts from Boltguns are rocket powered projectiles that explode after they penetrate something.

/nerd.

Mr.Sunshine on