As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a graphic calculator

japanjapan Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm getting back in to studying and I could do with getting a graphic calculator to replace the TI-83 I lent to my sister and never got back.

Basically, I'm inclined to get another TI, probably a TI-89, purely because it's what I'm familiar with. I've searched about to see what's what with other calculators, but all the advice I can find seems to boil down to three things:

1) Whether it does RPN. I really don't care. Maybe one day if I'm so inclined I will teach myself to use it if the calculator I get supports it, but as it stands it isn't a feature that interests me and I'm not interested in having a debate about whether it's a superior input method or not.

2) Whether it's permitted in exams by a particular body or institution. Not a problem I'm going to have. I'll be doing distance learning where assessment tends to be coursework based rather than examination based. It is really unlikely I'll have to sit in an examination hall at any point.

3) What is in use by the institution/those you're studying with. Again, not really relevant because of the above. From experience, the coursework is invariably very carefully not geared towards specific hardware/software/whatever, so if I need calculator help it'll come from the manual or the internet at large.

So, with that in mind, what are people's experiences of working with graphics calculators? I'm interested basically in finding out if there's a better option than TIs, given that most people seem to use them because they're stuck with them. Are there any cool features that they lack? Can I get something of equivalent power while spending less money? (I notice that the TI-83 has managed to get more expensive since I bought one more than ten years ago, in defiance of the usual consumer electronics logic)

I studied engineering before, and for now I'm digging out my old maths, mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials textbooks to get my brain working again. Ultimately I'd like to study Physics this time around.

japan on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The TI-89 is pretty much still the industry standard for just about everything.

I'd wait until August when all of the back to school sales will have them at about 20 to 30 percent off.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd feel bad if I suggested anything other than a TI89

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do you really need a graphing calculator?

I got by in engineering with a scientific calculator, and when I was a physics major I never needed a calculator at all (they weren't allowed on tests anyways past freshmen level).

I think the real answer is Excel + Matlab + Mathcad.

Boutros on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't desperately need one, in that I could use mathcad/maple/octave/whatever.

I'm going to buy one anyway, because I'd prefer to have one with me rather than rely on always having my laptop with me or access to a computer.

japan on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used an HP 50g throughout my electrical engineering undergrad. Not so much for the plotting but more for the numeric solver, RPN, programming it to do long equations, etc.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TI-89 Titanium

Just get this.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Indeed. TI-89 Ti is sufficient, and can be had for somewhere between $100-150 depending on new vs. used.

I also have a super debatable, probably wrong, minority opinion: if you will always be at your PC when doing math, you might consider paying $140 for Mathematica Student. (Or $70 for a one year license, or $45 for a one semester license.) Mathematica is hugely powerful and has many layers of complexity. Most of those layers you don't need to explore.

But exploring graphs of relations across 3-space is much easier with a fast renderer and keyboard-and-mouse control, for example. The TI-89 requires significant time to redraw a graph at low resolution.

It's extremely unlikely you will need anything beyond the TI-89. If you get Mathematica or Maple or any other CAS you risk setting yourself apart from other students by using different tools than they use. It's just a thought.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    I also have a super debatable, probably wrong, minority opinion: if you will always be at your PC when doing math, you might consider paying $140 for Mathematica Student. (Or $70 for a one year license, or $45 for a one semester license.) Mathematica is hugely powerful and has many layers of complexity. Most of those layers you don't need to explore.

I would agree, for the most part. I'm certainly not intending to use a calculator instead of a decent mathematics package of some kind.

However the nature of distance learning is that it is extremely helpful to be be able to squeeze in an hour of studying while at work or whatever, and it's much easier to constantly carry around a calculator than a laptop.

japan on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Would an iPhone/iPad have any decent calculating functionality/apps?

GungHo on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TI89. Just make sure to backup your functions/programs because teachers have begun to get wise and clear them out before tests. Nothing like a graphic calc's ability to solve matrices.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Have begun?

We were having to clear out shit from our TI-81 blue monsters when I was in school and that was 20 years ago.

I'm so old. :(

GungHo on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    in the 90s we had an app that made it look like you cleared your memory, but really didn't. hehe

+ 1 for Ti-89

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My school didn't have advanced placement classes until the mid 90s. So they were still new to it when I hit.

I think there was an option to archive your programs to a part of the memory that couldn't be cleared so all you did was add a whole bunch of garbage programs that didn't do anything to the list and they'd think you were all set when it was cleared.

My TI89 was also where I learned BASIC. ;-)

Oh god so many gotos. I also made a pretty accurate stopwatch with it. I think it had an accuracy of +/- .5 seconds after a half hour.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So many cheat sheets programmed into my TI-85 back in the day.

Yeah, I'd probably go with the TI-89.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The best is that the new TI-89s use a regular USB-to-miniUSB wire. You have no idea how awesome it is to type up a text file with all the equations and facts with a full keyboard and just transfer it instantly to the calculator. Sure, you could do that with the old, stupid, proprietary wire, but still.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, I was jealous of my friends to find out they had the USB one.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

I'm not buying a hugely expensive phone and tying myself into a contract for graphic calculator apps, equally I'm not buying an iPad because I have a laptop. I'm also pretty certain Apple would bar any kind of programming functionality.

Also, not directed at you, but just because it bears reiterating given some of the advice, it is totally irrelevant what other students are using, because I will at best be in contact with a few of them online, the materials will not be geared towards any particular calculator or software, and I will not be using this in any exams.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    There's a reason it's so popular. Comparing it to the 49g from HP is like comparing a Cessna turboprop aircraft to a boeing 757 that's on sale for the price of a bushel of bananas. And Casio? Hurg.

Your best bet is to stay with TI, they've been doing it forever and are pretty much the standard for graphic calculators.

bowen on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey, when I was in high school my HP 48GX was about a million times better than the TI 86, which was their state of the art. HPs might not be as good these days, but up until ten years ago they shit all over TIs.

Boutros on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For almost triple the price, I'd hope so!

bowen on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you have internet connectivity,

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

It's free and awesome.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    japan wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    I'm not buying a hugely expensive phone and tying myself into a contract for graphic calculator apps, equally I'm not buying an iPad because I have a laptop. I'm also pretty certain Apple would bar any kind of programming functionality.
    I was mostly asking in case you/someone else reading the forums in the same situation already had an iSomething.

GungHo on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got my engineering degree with a TI-84+. Really, anything 83 or better will have all the functionality you'll need.

The advanced stuff is much easier on Matlab anyway. When it comes to Matlab vs. Mathematica, I am firmly on the side of Matlab.

[Edit: Also, it doesn't really matter, but for the record it's "graphing calculator", not "graphic calculator".]

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [Edit: Also, it doesn't really matter, but for the record it's "graphing calculator", not "graphic calculator".]

That's a US/UK difference. The US term is "graphing calculator". "Graphic" is more common in the UK.

japan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got my engineering degree with a TI-84+. Really, anything 83 or better will have all the functionality you'll need.

The advanced stuff is much easier on Matlab anyway. When it comes to Matlab vs. Mathematica, I am firmly on the side of Matlab.

Just got my chemical engineering degree. An 83 is sufficient but you're going to want the 89 for extra functionality and ease of use. Systems of equations on an 89 are a breeze; none of that manual iterative crap.

Also, fuck Matlab. One of my least favorite programming languages. You know when a language starts indexing arrays at 1, you're in for a less than happy experience.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Indeed. TI-89 Ti is sufficient, and can be had for somewhere between $100-150 depending on new vs. used.

But exploring graphs of relations across 3-space is much easier with a fast renderer and keyboard-and-mouse control, for example. The TI-89 requires significant time to redraw a graph at low resolution.

It's extremely unlikely you will need anything beyond the TI-89. If you get Mathematica or Maple or any other CAS you risk setting yourself apart from other students by using different tools than they use. It's just a thought.

I know that in school, while I did use my HP48/50G s for most things, like tests, because RPN is one of the greatest things ever created, whenever I was going to be doing complicated stuff that was likely to take more than 10 minutes, I always booted up Matlab.

That said, the TI89 is slick as hell, and if you don't care about RPN, they're definitely the best calcs out there

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »

At amazon, the HP50G is 125 vs 144 for the TI 89.

Heck, the MSRP is 175 vs 200

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

At amazon, the HP50G is 125 vs 144 for the TI 89.

Heck, the MSRP is 175 vs 200

Weird, I remember back in the day the TI89 was $110, and the HP models were close to $300. Guess market demands changed that.

bowen on