As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shmup On] Virtual Console - now with more barrel rolls

• Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    So, what SHMUPs are left for Nintendo to release? :P

As a total random guess-aside: GAF is rumourring that ALTTP is this week's release.

Once again, I'm praying instead for a great game I don't own.

I've never played ALTTP

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    AlphaTwo wrote:

As a total random guess-aside: GAF is rumourring that ALTTP is this week's release.

Well, I don't have it. So I win?

What don't you have that has been rated by the ESRB for the VC?

Well, I'm not sure what exactly has been rated.

Though I really desperately would like to get my hands on Donkey Kong Country (which is available in Europe, right?), Yoshi's Island and Kid Icarus.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    AlphaTwo wrote:

Though I really desperately would like to get my hands on Donkey Kong Country (which is available in Europe, right?), Yoshi's Island and Kid Icarus.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_titles_%28North_America%29

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    AlphaTwo wrote:
    AlphaTwo wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_titles_%28North_America%29

Well, I suppose two out of three isn't bad.

Damn that asshole I let borrow my copy of Donkey Kong Country.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright, this seems like as good a place as any to say it.

Gradius is awesome. Hard, but awesome. Someday, I'll know what comes after those damned Easter Island statues.

And for starting out so weak, it feels completely badass to fly around with lasers, missiles, and three options. I missed out on a lot of shmups as a kid (they always looked too hard), but the VC is making me a big fan.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know jclast if you're having trouble with Gradius, it was the first game to have the now infamous "Konami Code" in it. During gameplay, pause the game and rhythmically input up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B. This will immediately activate quite a few of the upgrades for you.

AlphaTwo wrote:

Lots of awesome SNES games coming up.

EVERYONE needs to download Hagane: The Final Conflict. It's one of the most balls to the walls awesome ninja games ever made. It's in the far future and you're a cyborg ninja that destroys thousands of bad guys. The gameplay is like a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Spirit. You've got a grappling hook, grenades, a fire sword that you don't even have to stop moving to use, shuriken, various special attacks. The enemy and boss design is great as is the sadistic and involving level design. Freaking awesome game. I cannot say enough about how good it is. It has equally challenging (rather than cheap) platforming and action happening simultaneously.

It got released in the US but was put out in somewhat small quantities, I've actually only ever seen it in person a few times. A couple of years ago I just imported the Super Famicom cartridge because it's the exact same game but dirt cheap.

This game is one of Hudon's finest moments outside of their Turbo library.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    You know jclast if you're having trouble with Gradius, it was the first game to have the now infamous "Konami Code" in it. During gameplay, pause the game and rhythmically input up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B. This will immediately activate quite a few of the upgrades for you.

AlphaTwo wrote:

Lots of awesome SNES games coming up.

EVERYONE needs to download Hagane: The Final Conflict. It's one of the most balls to the walls awesome ninja games ever made. It's in the far future and you're a cyborg ninja that destroys thousands of bad guys. The gameplay is like a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Spirit. You've got a grappling hook, grenades, a fire sword that you don't even have to stop moving to use, shuriken, various special attacks. The enemy and boss design is great as is the sadistic and involving level design. Freaking awesome game. I cannot say enough about how good it is. It has equally challenging (rather than cheap) platforming and action happening simultaneously.

It got released in the US but was put out in somewhat small quantities, I've actually only ever seen it in person a few times. A couple of years ago I just imported the Super Famicom cartridge because it's the exact same game but dirt cheap.

This game is one of Hudon's finest moments outside of their Turbo library.

I just dug through my SNES carts because Hagane sounded so familiar. I found it but it didn't have the subtitle part, just Hagane. I remember having a blast with that game though.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I played Castlevania, but can't really say I enjoyed it. It's way too damned easy to miss a jump, which then sends you 3 rooms back. And enemies like to wait perfectly still, where they look like part of the castle. So far, I'd consider my experience irritating.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I think the "The Final Conflict" part only appears on the box and the manual.

Weird storyline. You're the last of the Fuma clan, the Holy Grail is captured by evil warlords and your family was charged to protect it. You're this dorman possessed cyborg that awakens "in the time of darkness when the pathway to armageddon opens."

In true classic game manner you can't know ANY of this from actually playing the game, it's in the manual. I wonder what the Japanese storyline was.

It's notable that the game was developed by Red specifically (Bonk series, Gungrave, etc.).

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hagane1.jpg

Hagane2.jpg

Hagane is indeed an awesome (and fantastic-looking) game you definately don't want miss. And from all I remember, it's also hard as hell.

I heard Military Madness is out for VC? Damn, my brother phoned me about this game back in the day and ordered me to buy it the second it hits store.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    RaginRossRaginRoss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I remember playing Bonanza Bros on my neighbours Amiga when I was younger, is it as awesome as I remember it being, or am I just being nostalgic and it sucks arse nowadays?

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    SinaelSinael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whoa, whoa, whoa--Dragon's Curse is confirmed? We're talkin' Wonderboy III, right? I don't know how I missed that; the SMS version is among my favourite games of all time. Since Sega doesn't seem interested in VC releases of their old Master System titles, this is probably as close as we'll ever get. Still! Glee!

Sinael on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    I've seriously considered this as well. I keep holding out for some smart fellow to devise a way to get Japanese VC games onto a US console via an SD Card.

Importing is a pretty tough road for me, as most of the budget I save up for it goes towards the Turbo CD/Super Famicom stuff that will never get ported/released anywhere else (Shapeshifter, Majin Tensei, stuff like that). Looking at my collection as it stands I might be able to get the original cartridges of what I want for less than what it would cost to get a Japanese Wii.
    Huh, I hadn't thought about that. I won't get another one soon, but maybe when the console drops to $100 in a few years, if there is a large difference between the two VC markets, I'll pick one up. If nothing else, it'll let me play Japanese Wii games as well.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote:

We're getting three games from Sega. Going on Nintendo's current release of two, maybe three games a week, I'm thinking we won't get anything else.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hopefully Bio-Hazard Battle is one of the Sega games that makes it out this week so we can have another shmup.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've downloaded Castlevania and am currently downloading Mario 64 (I've never played it!) right now.

I'm beginning to think this could be a nasty money sink. I've already spent almost all of my first 2000 points. :o

Elendil on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh my god, Castlevania delivers so hard.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    Oh my god, Castlevania delivers so hard.

Yeah. I was really worried I was remembering it through nostalgia-covered glasses, but it is everything I remember it to be. Fucking awesome music, too. Although, I am pretty sure I didn't have this much trouble on Drac back in the day.

Was that Hagane game released in NA? I've never heard of it, but it looks really cool.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dungeon Explorer is now the greatest thing ever. 5 player matches are amazing (as long as I get my Bishop).

Though watch out, the Bard's a dick.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Was that Hagane game released in NA? I've never heard of it, but it looks really cool.

Like I said earlier, it was released but not in mass quantities.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RaginRoss wrote:
    I remember playing Bonanza Bros on my neighbours Amiga when I was younger, is it as awesome as I remember it being, or am I just being nostalgic and it sucks arse nowadays?
    I really like the Genesis version, but it's also extremely short.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Like I said earlier, it was released but not in mass quantities.
    Are we talking sub-Atlus levels?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yes.

Neo Rasa on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it normal for Wii to download stuff insanely slowly? I'm just trying to download the internets channel and Mario has been running across my screen for like 10 minutes now...

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is it normal for Wii to download stuff insanely slowly? I'm just trying to download the internets channel and Mario has been running across my screen for like 10 minutes now...
    Check your connection. It shouldn't take more than a minute.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

Poasting from Wii now... The internet in the opera browser is nice and fast... but the wii shop channel and system updates are slow as hell.

I wonder what the deal is?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A friend brought his Wii over to my place once and we had similar problems. Virtual Console downloads were really fast, but system upgrades and browsing the Wii Shop channel were painfully slow. (It took about half an hour for a firmware upgrade or something to download.) We assigned a static IP to the Wii and put it in my router's DMZ, but that didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    RaginRossRaginRoss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

Poasting from Wii now... The internet in the opera browser is nice and fast... but the wii shop channel and system updates are slow as hell.

Happens to me as well, my Forecast and Internet channels are fine, but the Shop channel runs really slowly and ocasionally will get stuck on the 'Connecting, please wait' screen(meaning I need to pull the plug, as for some crazy reason you can't press Home from that screen)

My theory is that it just happens when the Shop is really busy...

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So no data on tomorrows releases?

UberEv on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Super Star Soldier, you press select and the little triangles on the upper left of the screen change. The manual says it's your speed, but nothing seems to move faster or slower. Anyone know?
    This was bottomed on the first page, and I too would like to know the answer.

ronzo on
  • Options
    lofloloflo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Avris wrote:
    In Super Star Soldier, you press select and the little triangles on the upper left of the screen change. The manual says it's your speed, but nothing seems to move faster or slower. Anyone know?
    This was bottomed on the first page, and I too would like to know the answer.

Unless the VC version of this game is buggy in some way, it should adjust the speed of your ship.

loflo on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jclast wrote:
    Gradius is awesome. Hard, but awesome. Someday, I'll know what comes after those damned Easter Island statues.

And for starting out so weak, it feels completely badass to fly around with lasers, missiles, and three options. I missed out on a lot of shmups as a kid (they always looked too hard), but the VC is making me a big fan.

:^:

I have the original game on my NES. It's one of the only shmups I can actually beat using only 1 life. :)

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    YesNoMu wrote:

Change the channel your router is set to. The shop channel was running like molassas for me too, but once I changed my router's channel away from 6, it started running much faster.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    UberEv wrote:

We've had data for weeks now.

Comix Zone, Bonanza Bros and Gain Ground. No word if anything else though.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

I don't even recognize those titles. Dammit Nintendo, stop holding back.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Dusda wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

They're Sega titles.

You'd do good to get Comix Zone. 2D Beat-Em-Up set in a comic book world.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dusda wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

You don't recognize Comix Zone? D: Oh god.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cymoro wrote:
    Dusda wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

You don't recognize Comix Zone? D: Oh god.

yes, didn't you visit a target 10 years ago? well more like 11-12.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    Dusda wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

They're Sega titles.

You'd do good to get Comix Zone. 2D Beat-Em-Up set in a comic book world.

And by comic book world, he means just that. You have to literally break comic panel sides to get to the next panel. It is awesome.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    UberEv wrote:

What about Link to the Past and that conspicuous screenshot?

After all, the shop page and screenshots of Super Mario Bros. didn't even show up until the week before it was going to be released.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png