As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh dear God: former Marvel CEO splices Pac-Man with 90210 for TV series

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
With all the news about Kinect, Move and the 3DS, it turns out we managed to miss one of the more fascinating announcements to come out of E3.

Namely, that Avi Arad has lost his fucking mind.

More specifically, that he wants to make a new Pac-Man series. With an updated version of the character. How is he updated? Hoo boy. All I can say is that this doesn't appear to be some sort of elaborate joke.
The latest news out of E3 is that Avi Arad, former CEO of Marvel Studios and now executive adviser for Namco Bandai, is developing a new television show starring Pac-Man. Variety reports that Arad showed a three-minute teaser of his vision for the new Pac-Man at an E3 event celebrating the game's 30th anniversary.

This wouldn't be the first time Pac-Man has made his way to TV. Back in the 1982, at the height of the game's popularity, the character starred in a Saturday morning cartoon. The new show would improve on that with computer animation and stereoscopic 3D. Arad's goal is to "create a show that speaks to teenagers and tells the story of a hero who doesn't know his own strengths."

According to Variety, the plot centers around ghosts who are trying to overtake Pac-Man's world. It's up to Pac-Man, who's a high school student, to save the world. In this mission, he'll be assisted by his Pac-friends and four friendly ghosts -- Pinky, Inky, Blinky and Clyde. Yes, you read that right, in this version the game's ghosts would be Pac-man's allies, not his enemies.

At this point, the project has only gone so far as Arad's imagination. Now that the big announcement has been made, though, he'll be approaching potential partners with the trailer that premiered at the E3 event.

"We feel we have a unique opportunity to have an action adventure, human interest story," Arad said. "As a filmmaker, it's a unique opportunity to get to know the characters you play. … We don't know what happened to Pac-Man's parents. He's the only yellow one in Pac-Land; what does that mean? Is it a social statement? We'll find out."

Pac-parents? A social statement? Sounds pretty complex for a spherical character known primarily for chomping pellets and avoiding ghosts.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/109/1099961p1.html

Want to see the horror for yourself? Go here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-pac-man/700876

I.... what? I mean... there are no words.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i'm gonna go hit myself in the temple with a hammer until the hurting stops.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did you see the new character design?

6880pose_02_render.jpg

I miss the all-black eyes.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think he missed April Fool's Day by a couple months.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's nice to see in this day age that someone is willing to go out of their way to prove that one can still make a strong career out of the position of Village Idiot.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i don't know if you guys can tell but i am vomiting repeatedly

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Avi has been chomping one too many pellets.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    this sounds like the best thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what? I mean, let's ignore the completely ridiculous plot for a second. Pac-man's parents? Why is Pac-man yellow? Isn't um.. Ms. Pac-man yellow too? Are they saying he married (and had babies with) his sister or something with this? Seriously... WTF?

Also, he is freaking yellow because the game was developed on crap hardware in the 1980s that could only do so much with graphical detail. Don't ask me why they invented a bunch of random, irrelevant extra characters YEARS later and they were not yellow. I mean, seriously, what's next? We going to ask why Peach is the only non-mushroom person (or turtle person) in the Mushroom Kingdom?

P.S. - You want to know what happens when you try to convert a non-sense video game franchise into something like this? This happens.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well I'm gonna cry myself to sleep tonight.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man this can't get any worse.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The guy must be incredible in the sack to convince somebody to let him make this, um, thing.

Also, I find it delightful that the show is going to feature a hero who eats everything to win when we can't hear enough these days about how fat kids are. Brilliant.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA

The split-off show will be Ms. Pac-Man.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I - wha - Buh? I... I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would think this is a good idea. I can't even rationalize why someone would think this is an idea that should be vocalized in public. They tried a Pac-Man TV show. It is best forgotten, lost to the tide of pop-culture history along with parachute pants and Nintendo breakfast cereal.

I'm pretty sure this T-Shirt based interpretation of Pac-Man is more accurate and interesting than anything Avi's project will spawn:
    i6bk94.jpg

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA

yDvV1.png
    Personally, I'm neutral to this. :P

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There Will Be Brawl?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I kind of liked Super Mario Bros.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA

yDvV1.png
    Personally, I'm neutral to this. :P

Welp, time to go try and dig this image out of my brain with a spoon.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So ..... it's real..

I'm guessing a big increase in bleach sales after this?

Also, even the trailer is in 3D. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    WHY IS EVERYTHING IN 3D I DONT NEED TV OR MOVIES IN 3D

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So ..... it's real..

I'm guessing a big increase in bleach sales after this?

Also, even the trailer is in 3D. :P

That wasn't terrible, to be fair. If I was 8 I'd be into it.

It's just a slightly more terrible version of Sonic X, it seems.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i just watched the trailer.

I need a bigger hammer.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brilliant.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So. "Ghosts" are invading which apparently not everyone can see and Pac-Man has to get wasted on magic pills so he can pig out using his super-munchy-hungry powers.

Hey kids! It's okay to be crazy! Just take lots of drugs and eat tons of food!

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jesus wept.

I don't for a second believe that his is true.

Also those dudes in the audience clapping.

Fucking sycophants.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, they'll carry anything, gaming community, because I pitched them a show where Pac-Man and the ghosts were teenagers, and I was a teenager too, and we were all pirates, but every week we would have different jobs and identities. And they called back and said it was brilliant!

Gilder on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There are no words to describe my current feelings

Gumpy on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No facet of my childhood is sacred from these fiends.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ugh. That video.... UGH.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Random thought: anyone have some of those ugly 3D glasses from the theater? Do they work on the trailer?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That seriously looks like a parody that The Onion would make of 80s video game cartoons.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Wait, what? I mean, let's ignore the completely ridiculous plot for a second. Pac-man's parents? Why is Pac-man yellow? Isn't um.. Ms. Pac-man yellow too? Are they saying he married (and had babies with) his sister or something with this? Seriously... WTF?

Also, he is freaking yellow because the game was developed on crap hardware in the 1980s that could only do so much with graphical detail. Don't ask me why they invented a bunch of random, irrelevant extra characters YEARS later and they were not yellow. I mean, seriously, what's next? We going to ask why Peach is the only non-mushroom person (or turtle person) in the Mushroom Kingdom?

P.S. - You want to know what happens when you try to convert a non-sense video game franchise into something like this? This happens.

In other words:
    IT'S FUCKING PAC-MAN! WHO THE HELL CARES?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't

I don't

What the

Huh?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You people are seriously overanalyzing this and overreacting accordingly.

It's a fucking kids cartoon. Right up there with Sonic X, the old Mario cartoons and that abomination of a Kirby cartoon.

It looks fucking better than your beybladez and yugiohs and whathaveyou at least.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's a fucking kids cartoon. Right up there with Sonic X, the old Mario cartoons and that abomination of a Kirby cartoon.

It looks fucking better than your beybladez and yugiohs and whathaveyou at least.

Kids cartoons don't have to make your brain dribble out your ears. See: Batman: The Animated Series, SpongeBob, Flapjack, the entire output of Pixar, etc. etc.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Kids cartoons don't have to make your brain dribble out your ears. See: Batman: The Animated Series, SpongeBob, Flapjack, the entire output of Pixar, etc. etc.

Of course they don't have to, but with the exception of Batman the rest of those shows are original concepts. Adaptations of existing media for children are generally terrible. You folks are acting like this will be the first terrible cash-in kids cartoon ever.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Of course they don't have to, but with the exception of Batman the rest of those shows are original concepts. Adaptations of existing media for children are generally terrible. You folks are acting like this will be the first terrible cash-in kids cartoon ever.

You have to admit, this is pretty bad. The only way I made it through that trailer was without the sound. It's not as bad as yugioh is but it's pretty bad.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yet the word "terrible" still applies.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are his eyebrows supposed to look like ears?

Couscous on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I made it halfway through the trailer but decided to kil.......

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isn't this more like Buffy than 90210?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)