As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcyles and the Buying Thereof

Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm kinda interested in buying me a motorbike of some sort in the semi-near future. However, aside from putzing around on my brother's dirt bikes a few times, I've never ridden one before. So what would be a good beginner's motorcycle? Maybe it's just the youth in me (I'm 19), but I'd prefer a "sporty" kinda bike, is that good or bad? How much could I expect this to cost? Is this just a silly idea? I need some advice!

Sangheili91 on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You need to take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, even if your state / country doesn't require it to get a license. You know, so you won't kill yourself.

You'll get to ride some beginners bikes while you do it as well.

adytum on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's like a bajillion threads on this very topic in these very forums. Search for anything as generic as "motorcycle" and you should find one of them.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I second the MSF Basic Rider Course. I took it and it was just plain awesomeness. The had some 250cc bikes there for us to use. I wound up getting a 400cc cruiser because I mostly drive around in town and rarely get it out of third gear. But mostly, you need to look at how you are going to use it. Highway driving, rush hour downtown traffic, a combination of both? My little guy can get up to 100km/h pretty easily on the highway, which is more than fast enough for these roads. And I'd suggest you get a used bike on the cheap. I laid mine down the first day I started riding and jacked up the footpeg.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Definitely take a MSF course. In most (all?) states it counts as the driving portion of the license test, which is nigh-impossible on anything bigger than a moped. Plus it's wicked fun. I'm taking it again with my wife in the near future (last time I took it was 13 years and 2 states ago).

As for a beginner sportbike, look into a used Ninja 500 or a Suzuki GS500. Those are good and cheap so you won't cry too hard when you drop it. I've never ridden a 250cc Ninja but I suspect they wouldn't be great on the highway.

Expect to spend in the neighborhood of $4k for the class, bike, and gear (Snell-rated full helmet, jacket, gloves, boots- anything less is asking to have the skin stripped off of you and your brains pulled out your nose) and insurance. I expect insurance won't be cheap for a 19 year old but with a cheap used bike at least all you'll need is liability.

zilo on