As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck Yeah Healthcare!

NumerosNumeros GoodnessGraciousRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have just received the unfortunate news that I am no longer covered under my parents' health plan, which is sucks because I gots the 'beetus. This is a problem! Connecticut (where I am from), has a law that says I can retain my parents' coverage until I am 26, but only if I am a resident of the state. Which I no longer am, bummer.

However, I am also aware that the recently passed healthcare reform act (woo!) makes that state law into a federal law, meaning that I get my old insurance back provided that my job doesn't offer me any (they don't). Great! Problem is, I have heard differing reports on when that law is supposed to take effect; some say it was as soon as the Obaminator signed the bill into law, while others are telling me it starts in August 2010, while others are telling me January 1, 2011. Craziness!

Secondly, if this law does come into play before January 1, 2011, what the eff do I do so I can keep taking care of myself?

Numeros on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is a really easy question to answer. I relate it to you in the context of my search history so you can be more self-sufficient in the future.

So I know what the bill is called, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. So I google PPACA and 26 year old coverage

I get this link :
    http://ebn.benefitnews.com/blog/daily_diversion/ppaca-extension-turning-me-into-grumpy-old-lady-2683577-1.html

I read the comments. The commentors seem knowledgable - it's a trade blog - discuss things in terms of plan year. So I figure it's the 2011 plan year that matters. I'm not sure though. But it gives me the idea to use plan year as a search term.

So then I search "PPACA timeline 26 year old plan year" And the answer is in the 4th link.

The WaPo link is more direct and succint, but it doesn't let you figure out that the operative date is probably going to be with the new plan year in september, the start of the 2011 plan year. I'd double-check that your parents' company's HR is on the ball with everything.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It looks like you live in NY.
    If so, are you poor?
    You may qualify for Healthy NY, which is pretty much the only way you can score health insurance directly in the state without making $TEXAS

Deebaser on