As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a 360 racing game

desertofdirtdesertofdirt Registered User new member
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
My choices are Burnout Paradise, Blur, or split/second. What should I get?

desertofdirt on

• Options
    smokealbertsmokealbert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forza

smokealbert on
    Xbox GT: Smokealbert
  • Options
    bigheadzachbigheadzach Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you want a simulation-style game, Forza is it.

If you want an arcade-style racer with tactical elements, Blur wins hands down. Plus it's cheap now!

bigheadzach on
  • Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Plus, for Blur...

http://www.blurgamepromotion.com/

Note the coupon requires a software install - run it on a machine you don't care about, just in case.

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got the PC version of Burnout Paradise a few days ago and it's really good. There's an open world type thing going on and you're rewarded for racing, and exploring, and pretty much just messing around.

Racing is fairly arcadey, with an emphasis on going really fast and slamming other racers off the road or into oncoming obstacles while evading oncoming traffic. There are events that focus on just the racing part, just the vehicular violence, getting from one point to another while being stalked by inhumanly strong and fast cars, and doing stunts.

There are also a ton of billboards all over the city, and you have to somehow drive a (usually airborne) car through all of them. Well, you don't have to. But it keeps track of how many you've destroyed! Why would you not want to? Although the game seems determined to make you ADD. It's hard to stay focused on destroying signage when the A-Team van goes wizzing by, just begging you to chase it down and run it off the road to unlock it.

Plus there's a "your car just exploded and now you must guide it's carcass as it flips end over end down the street, hitting as many other cars as possible and also getting airtime and multipliers from colliding with buses and street signs" minigame. Which is surprisingly deep for a minigame.

Frem on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you want a simulation-style game, Forza is it.

If you want an arcade-style racer with tactical elements, Blur wins hands down. Plus it's cheap now
    !

Valleo on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess Dirt comes in somewhere in the middle... At least in Dirt2 you can rewind time a limited amount to correct massive screw-ups. Its more dirt track racing though, if you can imagine!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For arcade racers I see a huge difference between Burnout and Blur. Blur is a cart racer. That is its own thing. I could want to play an arcade racer but not a cart racer and vice versa. Burnout is a pure arcade racer.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Burnout is probably the best arcade racer, with split/second coming in second. I really like the blur demo, but the actual game was retarded. In blur I continually got last place yet got the fastest lap award at the end of the race. If you get in last place it's almost impossible to catch back up. There is some rubber banding in split second, but it makes it more actiony having to blow shit up. And burnout is just plain damn fun with it's crashes and free roam world.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to go the opposite way of you and say Blur is much better than Split/Second as long as you have multiplayer. Split/Second is fun for the short campaign but that's about it. All the geometry destruction stuff gets old fast. Blur on the other hand is mass chaos and remains fun for a long time. If you're the type of person that can only have fun when you're winning however, Blur is probably not for you.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    If you're the type of person that can only have fun when you're winning however, Blur is probably not for you.

100% this. Blur is a game where your objective is to fuck up the guy in front of you, not to win. Winning is just a byproduct of successfully fucking over everyone who is now behind you.

Veevee on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blur is amazing. Buy it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PGR 3
    PGR 4
    FM3
    Grid
    Dirt 1 or 2
    MotoGP 08
    Shift
    Race Pro

All good racers IMO.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's an unpopular opinion, but I believe Dirt 2 is one of the best games of last year.

Also, there are demos of a lot of these games on XBL.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dirt 2 is of great appeal to us people who...er...suck at racing games, with its rewinding feature. You aren't obligated to use it, but it's there. Like quicksaving in any FPS.

It's also a very good game in its own right, but it is rally racing, so if you don't want that, something else wold work better. PGR 3 and PGR 4 are also good in the area of classic Need for Speed-esque ridiculously expensive car racing.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's an unpopular opinion, but I believe Dirt 2 is one of the best games of last year.

It also looks fantastic.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My choices are Burnout Paradise, Blur, or split/second. What should I get?

Of those three choices, Burnout Paradise is definitely the best.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jamesways wrote: »
    PGR 3
    PGR 4
    FM3
    Grid
    Dirt 1 or 2
    MotoGP 08
    Shift
    Race Pro

All good racers IMO.

Very obviously not a fan of arcade racers.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Jamesways wrote: »
    PGR 3
    PGR 4
    FM3
    Grid
    Dirt 1 or 2
    MotoGP 08
    Shift
    Race Pro

All good racers IMO.

Very obviously not a fan of arcade racers.

How so? All those listed are arcade racers except for motoGP, Forza, and Race Pro

Veevee on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Burnout Paradise.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png