As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Washington D.C. on July 3rd

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Only July 3rd my wife and I going on a trip which we'd save time if we drove through Washington D.C.

The problem, and the reason I'm debating it, is that we'd be driving through the area between 7 and 10am (Pending on travel time getting that far) on July 3rd.

Now, I would imagine that attempting such a thing is stupid, but I just wanted to confirm this with you folks here. Especially anyone in the D.C. area. Is there a cut off time on a Saturday morning where you'd say if we pass through the area at time X that we'd be fine, or should we just steer clear of the whole city and bounce from Richmond over to I-81 and head north from there?

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tough call.

No typical morning rush hour, but it is the day before the 4th which is a big travel day.

Personally, I'd avoid the beltway at all costs.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I mean, as long as you're just on the beltway I doubt theres going to be any bad traffic that early. I wouldnt go into the district at all though.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We'd be going I-95>I-495>I-270, so, strictly the western part of D.C.

I'm debating it for scenic purposes and shaving about an hour off the trip, but I also don't want to get stuck in traffic jam hell.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With all the 495 construction you never know how traffic will be any time of day.

adytum on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Last year I drove from Boston to DC on July 3rd. I thought it was going to be a nightmare but we somehow hit virtually no traffic the whole way down. We made it down in 7 and a half hours, which is really good time. We arrived in DC at around 9pm, so I can't speak to the morning, but there was very little traffic on 495 and Connecticut Ave.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm debating it for scenic purposes and shaving about an hour off the trip, but I also don't want to get stuck in traffic jam hell.

I really doubt theres going to be bad traffic that early on a saturday, even if it is on the 3rd. But . . definitely try to get to the beltway closer to 7am then 10.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You should be fine. Do you have a smartphone of some kind? Loan up google maps, it can overlay the traffic for you. That part of the beltway is notoriuously bad at rush hours, but 7-10am on a Saturday you should be fine.

Also, I live in the area just south of where you're going to be driving through. If you don't have a smart phone let me know, I can text you a traffic update or something.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    geckahn wrote: »

I really doubt theres going to be bad traffic that early on a saturday, even if it is on the 3rd. But . . definitely try to get to the beltway closer to 7am then 10.

Well, it could be hell if you go through VA. My suggestion would be to follow the beltway around through MD up 95. They're doing tons of work on the VA side and they have been using holiday weekends as an excuse to get more done.

That said you should be ok as long as you don't go near 395 into DC. But its not really a scenic trip at all >_<

Its only scenic if you go through DC, which the day before the 4th I HIGHLY recommend against.

Also once you get near the DC area tune your radio to 103.5, its WTOP, they do live traffic every 10 minutes on the 8's. If there is a major snafu on any major road near/around DC they'll let you know. You can also check traffic and maps/cameras on their website http://www.wtopnews.com. It'll list all the work zones too.

And FYI when I say into the area I mean when you get near Dale City in VA or Columbia in MD going north to south. West would be Manassas and east would be the Bay Bridge. Its a very bit metro spread.

Edit: Yes I realize its out of the way to go around the MD side of the beltway to get to 270, but they've been actually closing down 495 and 66 east which snarls up 495 during weekend periods. The radio should let you know if its bad prior to even reaching where 95/495 meet on the VA side.

ransim on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never noticed traffic getting particularly bad on the days around the 4th. The 4th, of course, is pretty bad no matter where you go, but I wouldn't imagine that early on a Saturday would be bad, holiday or no.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That route, at that time, regardless of the holiday - you will be fine. Do it.

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh that construction I was talking about:

http://www.vamegaprojects.com/

Unlike last year vdot has not canceled lane closures for the holiday weekend.

If you are really curious about what exactly they'll be doing over the weekend they post the lane closures up on a weekly basis, so I imagine on sunday next week will go up including the 4th weekend.

http://www.vamegaprojects.com/about-megaprojects/i495-hot-lanes/#laneclosures

I live right in this area, right off the beltway near 66, and I really wish I could agree with everyone else and tell you it'll be peachy hunky dory, but I'd be lying. There is a reason I go absolutely no where lately unless I have no choice.

HOT Lane, and new metro line construction are the primary reasons. This whole area is a cluster fark from hell right now. And you never really know when they won't be doing it, the only exception being generally rush hour. Anytime not officially the M-F Rush hour or the actual holiday? Don't count on it not being construction time. State needs money and they want those HOT lanes up fast.

ransim on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    HOT Lane, and new metro line construction are the primary reasons. This whole area is a cluster fark from hell right now. And you never really know when they won't be doing it, the only exception being generally rush hour. Anytime not officially the M-F Rush hour or the actual holiday? Don't count on it not being construction time. State needs money and they want those HOT lanes up fast.

You aren't kidding.. I have to take 395S > 495N to work in the morning, and 495 is a stand still most days.

@OP, One thing you can do is check this traffic website. It's a map that shows how traffic is moving around the beltway, and you can updated it regularly to keep an eye on things.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg