As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

gmail hacked... what now!

desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my gmail was hacked by a Hungarian ip address the day before yesterday.

I changed the password but didn't think to change anything else.

So my facebook was just hacked!

So I changed the password on that too.

I've never been a victim of Hungarian-based CyberCrime before. What next? Should I just change every single one of my passwords?

Your advice appreciated!

desperaterobots on

• Options
    ShellyBeeShellyBee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So my gmail was hacked by a Hungarian ip address the day before yesterday.

I changed the password but didn't think to change anything else.

So my facebook was just hacked!

So I changed the password on that too.

I've never been a victim of Hungarian-based CyberCrime before. What next? Should I just change every single one of my passwords?

Your advice appreciated!

How did you discover you had been hacked?

ShellyBee on
    I want to get away, I want to fly, away.
    I also want more sleep!
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I tried to log into gmail and I had to tell gmail my mobile number so it would send me a verification code to log back in to it. Pretty awesome actually. They suspended the account because it had sent out about 500 emails to my address book in about 2 minutes.

And facebook because I was spamming peoples walls with stupid shit while I was watching Toy Story 3. People started sending me text messages about it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you think of how they would have gotten your password(s)? Is it short and/or simple? Are you using the same password for different sites? Are you accessing facebook and hotmail from more than one computer? Have you run a virus scan lately?

Good and easy to use free virus scans are Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. If you are using a 32 bit windows operative system (not 64) there is also ComboFix. ComboFix will track down most threats and remove them and create a log file of everything else going on, that you can post on a techie forum, in case it missed anything. It will sometimes track down and eradicate non threats as well, so ComboFix is not advisable to use unsupervised by the completely computer illiterate.

Siska on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get to a known clean computer and change your passwords. Then either run a few virus scans or nuke it from orbit and do a fresh re-install.

I see two situations on how it happened-

A) Your Facebook account is linked to that Gmail account, and they got it off an email, or

B) You have a keylogger on your computer and they might have most of your passwords.

Either way, it'd be a good idea to check everything that you need a password for to make sure it hasn't been fucked with yet, and it'd be a great idea to change them up- on the known secure computer.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Assume that every single account with every single site or service that you used your gmail account to register with is now completely compromised. React accordingly. Set up a new gmail account, change passwords and route all mail to that new address immediately, and where your credit card(s) or banking might be concerned, make phone calls to put up a potential fraud alert.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Assume that every single account with every single site or service that you used your gmail account to register with is now completely compromised. React accordingly. Set up a new gmail account, change passwords and route all mail to that new address immediately, and where your credit card(s) or banking might be concerned, make phone calls to put up a potential fraud alert.

Yeah, this. And ideally do it from a different computer, one you "know" isn't infected. Then nuke yours from orbit.
    It won't make any difference.

MichaelLC on