As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AGP video card recommendation

kitchkitch Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an old motherboard lying around that I want to put into action, but it has an AGP videocard slot. Any recommendations? Are any AGP cards even capable of acceptable HD video playback?

I would prefer it to be nvidia, as I've heard ATI cards have a hard time being compatible with linux distros. If that's not true for whatever particular card, go ahead and recommend it.

kitch on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kitch wrote: »
    I have an old motherboard lying around that I want to put into action, but it has an AGP videocard slot. Any recommendations? Are any AGP cards even capable of acceptable HD video playback?

I would prefer it to be nvidia, as I've heard ATI cards have a hard time being compatible with linux distros. If that's not true for whatever particular card, go ahead and recommend it.

Well, I see a bunch on Newegg with HDMI/HDCP, presumably some do hardware acceleration for video playback as well. You'll pay a bit more for them, of course. I'll leave it to others to let you know which to go for.

mcdermott on