As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is the [Chat] Black Enough?

• Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywCX6znxUWQ

This depresses me a little.

everything is heavily processed

America's ethnic foods are defined as being barely edible plastics

Exactly what I was thinking.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Man, all it took was browsing through Ebert's thumbs up/thumbs down designations for movies that are currently out to remind me that we have pretty different tastes in movies.

Occasionally they intersect, but for the most part I can determine how much I'm going to enjoy a movie (particularly action movies) by how much he dislikes it.

Our local movie reviewer guy for the paper has horrible taste in movies and is pretentious as fuck. The same thing applies, really. If he has all these high-minded-sounding bullshit reasons why a movie was terrible, it will probably be the best movie I've seen all year.

ebert is rarely like this though. he enjoys action movies all the time.

Oh, I don't feel that way about Ebert... I just have a similar relationship with this guy as VH does with Ebert.

Actually, it probably means VH and I have fairly disparate tastes.

oh my bad, misunderstood

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Speaking of Skynet and nerdery

Stolen from reddit but still awesome.

I get the 1337 part and that the answer is 42, but I feel like I'm missing more intricate parts of the joke.

No that's pretty much it.

Douglas Adams reference and geekery

But the fact that the answer is 42 is kinda neat

Oh... well sweet then.

I guess throwing in Pi for extra geekery works.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What, no peanut butter?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Quittin' time!

Later homos and homettes and Thanatos!

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    The loudest plane does not inspire as much as the quietest bird.

Did you turn into a 1,500-year-old Chinese man sometime this afternoon?

One who doesn't inspire perspires.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »

Your whole idea seems to be that you trust his review because you think he has passing knowledge of the show. I'm saying he doesn't, I've been saying this from the beginning. Knowing what it looks like is not passing knowledge, and is yet another indication that he doesn't know about the original series. It's like saying I know Mike just because I saw a video of him eating a bacon sandwich.

I trust his review because he has professionally reviewed movies for longer then I've been alive. I believe he might have a passing knowledge of the series from a paragraph in his review, while you have no evidence to your viewpoint you still maintain it.

I'm at a lack as to why you think I based my opinion his potential knowledge. He ripped the movie for being a bad movie (shitty special effects, bad acting, and a lame 3d tie in amongst other things). I'm really at a loss to what you are saying other then a made up point of view not supported by anything other then your opinion.
    A half star from ebert is pretty nasty, he tries to view a movie for the audience, that doesn't bode well for the movie. Especially since he seems to have more then a passing knowledge of the show.

This right here. This is why I thought you based your opinion on his potential knowledge, since that's all you've mentioned up 'til now.

As I said before I don't think that you have to have watched the series a movie is based on to critique the movie. I'm just not going to trust a review solely because the reviewer might have watched the opening credits. Past experience of the reviewer's going to have more influence, as well as whether or not I agree with their reviews on other films.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    desc wrote: »
    There is a lot of super interesting stuff in that area. Frank Moore Cross in particular wrote a lot about it (EG: Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic). And Robert Oden (who was his student way back when) has written about it and included some of the discoveries from Ugarit in his excellent series of lecutres on the Old Testament.

Hmm. Add to Wishlist, click!

I am fresh off a Roman history bender. This sounds interesting.

Cross' work is quite difficult as a starting point. But once you have the background is very interesting.

I would recomend searching for the series of audio lectures by Robert Oden (wherever fine mp3's are to be found).

Another very interesting tie in is the book The End of the Bronze Age. It's not the main point of the book but the raw data there strongly supports some of the ideas Oden mentions.

edit: The End of the Bronze Age is also nice because it is approachable without a lot of background knowledge. Very, very well sourced too (half the volume of the book is footnotes and references).

Life in the Ancient Near East is great to get an overall picture of the "story" of the bronze age and where all the names belong and when.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "He's dead now"

"I've killed him before"

ch-chk boom

man if I ever end up in a remote location cut off from the world and there's a murderer hunting me and if I somehow end up last man standing after seemingly killing the murderer I am going to slice that guy up into pieces too small to kill me in any imaginable way

I have watched enough movies to know this that I don't have to learn it the hard way

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in a two sentence post you read the second sentence but figured the first just didn't have any impact. Ok good good.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in a two sentence post you read the second sentence but figured the first just didn't have any impact. Ok good good.

If that were the case then I would have cut the first sentence out completely. Considering that the second sentence modifies the first, no, I wouldn't say I'm ignoring the first sentence since the second one makes no sense without it. How else was I supposed to read it?

Edit:
    A half star from ebert is pretty nasty, he tries to view a movie for the audience, that doesn't bode well for the movie. Especially since he seems to have more then a passing knowledge of the show.

Means - Ebert gave this a half star after trying to see it from an audience perspective, this seems even more bad/credible because he seems to also know the series.

I ask again, how else am I supposed to have read this?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hello again [chat].

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    edit: The End of the Bronze Age is also nice because it is approachable without a lot of background knowledge. Very, very well sourced too (half the volume of the book is footnotes and references).

Life in the Ancient Near East is great to get an overall picture of the "story" of the bronze age and where all the names belong and when.

Sweeet. Also bookmarked these two.

desc on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chocolate syrup is great : D

Frosteey on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i hate checking voice mail

but i hate the new voice mail notification just a bit more

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Hello again [chat].

yo

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hello again [chat].

Hello lady.

How goes?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If that were the case then I would have cut the first sentence out completely. Considering that the second sentence modifies the first, no, I wouldn't say I'm ignoring the first sentence since the second one makes no sense without it. How else was I supposed to read it?

You know I'm just not going to bother, because the world you live in, is not the world I do.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i hate checking voice mail

but i hate the new voice mail notification just a bit more

Do you have [1] new message?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You know I'm just not going to bother, because the world you live in, is not the world I do.

Ok, if that's what you wan to do. *shrug*

Passerbye on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hello again [chat].

Hello lady.

How goes?

Just fine. You?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hello again [chat].

Hello lady.

How goes?

Just fine. You?

Not too shabby. Enjoying my day off. :D

Passerbye on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh shit Terminator 2 on instant watch! Guess I will be watching that for the next 2 hours!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010

what

why

Organichu on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey there are people in [chat] right now who seem like they would know the answer to this question

If I have never played a Persona game before, should I get the PSP version of Persona 3 coming out in a few days?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh shit Terminator 2 on instant watch! Guess I will be watching that for the next 2 hours!

You don't just have the dvd? Man I thought I knew you.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, Arivia, thanks for the relationship dynamics thread. Some interesting reads in there. :^:

Passerbye on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I can't own every DVD ever.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    oh, i just saw the explanation

who cares if it's processed

meh

oh, you homps i guess

Organichu on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    :O

The upcoming WoW expansion is in Beta now.

I hope I get in.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

I hope I get in.

Despite how much I keep telling myself that I will not buy Cataclysm

I will probably buy Cataclysm

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's terminator 2 man, thats like not having die hard, or Lord of The Rings.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I hope I get in.

Your pathetic.

I will buy it too.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

what

why

yeah I don't get it either

a section like that would be awesome for expats

you don't really know how attached you are to the subtle things like that before you're elsewhere

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I hope I get in.

So is that what prompted all the talk about it lately (ie: the beta)? I thought I read it wasn't coming out for nearly a year so I was wondering why people are already chatting about it so much.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I hope I get in.

You are a weak chopper, always have been!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Some robot you are. :P
    It's terminator 2 man, thats like not having die hard, or Lord of The Rings.

Neither Dyr nor I own any of the Terminators, Die Hards, or Lord of the Rings movies on DVD.

I do have a copy of The Hobbit and the Silmarillion, though. In book form, that is.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey there are people in [chat] right now who seem like they would know the answer to this question

If I have never played a Persona game before, should I get the PSP version of Persona 3 coming out in a few days?

Yeah. It has most of the gameplay improvements from Persona 4, and has some new story stuff sooo~

Zandracon on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, for a good while a lot of stuff about the expansion was being steadily leaked, and occasionally there are official releases as well.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh, i just saw the explanation

who cares if it's processed

meh

oh, you homps i guess

processed food tends to have the nutritional value of a slab of cardboard

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.