As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: Vietnam on the 18 for Steam. Donate now! New Maps are live!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    I think it's stupid as hell to not allow 4x and red dot scopes on the M14EBR. Oh it's too easy because it's possible to shoot someone far away with one or two shots now?

If this is the logic then there shouldn't be any sniper weapons in the game at all then.

and if the logic is because it would allow classes other than recon to snipe... why is that a bad thing again? Why should snipers be the only one who can shoot long range? The very fact that they disallow other classes this capability makes the recon OP.

But with the regular red dot sight on my LMG (I don't know which one it is) I can counter-snipe recon that annoy the shit out of me. I don't need no stinkin sniper rifle. :rotate:

No doubt the M60 dominates snipers. As does my UMP Although I don't think that purpose is what either of those guns are supposed to be meant for.. But I have a hard on for the M14. So I don't like seeing it gimped for gameplay purposes that make no sense.

Turns out I use the MG36, not the M60, because it comes with a red dot sight so I can use something else in that slot instead.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I snipe snipers with my revolver.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Playing rush sucks

I can't believe the game has been out for so long and people still don't spot

tofu on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've had people actually say they don't spot because they will get their kill stolen.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I've had people actually say they don't spot because they will get their kill stolen.

Goddamn people are stupid

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If there was some way I could only play with not-morons this game would be a lot more fun

tofu on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love my Q key. Because it gives me free points. Because I suck too much to get them for myself.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love spotting because it lets me see where a guy went if he gets away from me, so I can head him off myself.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TheExAm wrote: »
    I love spotting because it lets me see where a guy went if he gets away from me, so I can head him off myself.

Exactly. I always mash "Q" before I even think to start shooting so if he kills me at least everyone else knows where he is and can kill him for me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it's stupid as hell to not allow 4x and red dot scopes on the M14EBR. Oh it's too easy because it's possible to shoot someone far away with one or two shots now?

If this is the logic then there shouldn't be any sniper weapons in the game at all then.

and if the logic is because it would allow classes other than recon to snipe... why is that a bad thing again? Why should snipers be the only one who can shoot long range? The very fact that they disallow other classes this capability makes the recon OP.

But with the regular red dot sight on my LMG (I don't know which one it is) I can counter-snipe recon that annoy the shit out of me. I don't need no stinkin sniper rifle. :rotate:

No doubt the M60 dominates snipers. As does my UMP Although I don't think that purpose is what either of those guns are supposed to be meant for.. But I have a hard on for the M14. So I don't like seeing it gimped for gameplay purposes that make no sense.

Turns out I use the MG36, not the M60, because it comes with a red dot sight so I can use something else in that slot instead.

Pretty much anything with easy-to-use iron sights (which is almost every gun in the game, but IMHO not the m60) can be used effectively to counter snipe if you have a clear view or have a spotted target. First shot is always accurate, just tap-tap-tap and you either get a kill or force the target to run.

Seriously, the iron sights in this game are almost all fantastic. That feeling of actually aiming and being accurate is a big part of what makes the game fun for me. The red dot sights feel much worse than irons to me and so I never use them.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know how you can call the M16's iron sights fantastic but to each their own I guess. I actually don't mind the M60's iron sight.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yup, pretty much. I was kinda hoping that most of "those people" would go over to BLOPS once that was released, but sadly the no-spot mentality is still quite pervasive.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When I'm in an environment where targets have ledges, low walls, or rocks for cover, I rock the red dot so I can see their heads easily, and pretty much I use iron sights for everything else.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Pretty much anything with easy-to-use iron sights (which is almost every gun in the game, but IMHO not the m60) can be used effectively to counter snipe if you have a clear view or have a spotted target. First shot is always accurate, just tap-tap-tap and you either get a kill or force the target to run.

Seriously, the iron sights in this game are almost all fantastic. That feeling of actually aiming and being accurate is a big part of what makes the game fun for me. The red dot sights feel much worse than irons to me and so I never use them.

I think the M14's sight ring is too thick and obscuring (though I use it over the Garand because two extra bullets and vastly increased reload time are too much to give up for a clean sight picture), and the Rex's sight post is too wide for me to aim it quickly. Every time I try the Rex again, I always find that I have better luck at all ranges with the 1911, and especially at close ranges.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

You're kidding? I thought that was just an exaggerated meme..

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Not kidding, this is mostly true for sn1p4rz.

The most potentially effective spotters are the ones who don't spot.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Why would anyone not use a red dot sight? It's so much easier than iron sights, you just put the red dot where you want the bullet to go and the bad men stop moving.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why would anyone not use a red dot sight? It's so much easier than iron sights, you just put the red dot where you want the bullet to go and the bad men stop moving.
    'Cuz I'd rather have a second grenade, or more AT mines, and none of the iron sights bother me much. Some I like quite a bit, actually.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I feel so much deadlier when using a RDS, but I feel much more limited to just killing mans. I find the other perks available much more useful than it.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been using the M4 with acog to great success. I still wish I could use C4 with an assault rifle. Though I do enjoy smoke or the 40mm shotty.

Angry Weasel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »
    'Cuz I'd rather have a second grenade, or more AT mines, and none of the iron sights bother me much. Some I like quite a bit, actually.

That's why I use the MG36, it comes with red dot sights and is fairly accurate. Then I can take another perk while still having the RDS and stay deadly. I know that's not an option for non-medic classes but I never play as anything else anyway.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    How many more real American dollars do we need to pay the server bill?

Distram on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've been using the M4 with acog to great success. I still wish I could use C4 with an assault rifle. Though I do enjoy smoke or the 40mm shotty.

Assault Smokin' err'day 8-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Distram wrote: »
    How many more real American dollars do we need to pay the server bill?

Yeah, if you really want people to donate you need to be more like Microsoft. Say like 1300 Spacebucks, and people will pay you more than you need because they only come in block of 1500.

Angry Weasel on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I've discovered something. Playing on a full server is what is killing my frame rates. My CPU is no slouch at 6.3 performance index, but the fact that it is an AMD with only 2 cores might be the problem? I don't know.

I just know that the other day I had so much fun having a smooth, playable game when the server had 10-12 people on it, and then I get on to servers with 32 people and I can't hit a thing any more and die a lot.

Does anyone else have this problem? I seem to recall going through this before and the PA server admins lowered the limit to 24 people, which helped. I don't want to be the downer if I'm the only one, I was just curious to see if anyone else had this same experience with performance.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I finally fully unlocked a class - Recon. And the only reason was the shotgun slugs. I suck at sniping. Guess I should move onto fully unlocking the other classes now.

El Guaco - the game is optimised for quad cores. Dual cores run it, but not particularly well. I guarantee your problem is the fact that you aren't rocking a quad core.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, my game does suffer when there are the full 32 players on the server. Seems to be more of a bug than anything, because it's not like all players are always on screen.

I've got an Intel C2D running @ 3.6ghz.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »

That's why I use the MG36, it comes with red dot sights and is fairly accurate. Then I can take another perk while still having the RDS and stay deadly. I know that's not an option for non-medic classes but I never play as anything else anyway.

Yeah but you have no peripheral vision as a consequence of the MG36. I just try to rely on some Assault for ammo.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The game runs damn good on my tricore.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Since I play on 32 player servers 95% of the time, I hadn't noticed, but then I went on to a 26 player one, and the game was running a lot smoother.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

If you use the M14 or the Garand or I think the G3 they don't have grenade launchers on them so the game gives you C4 instead.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Aaaaand server is empty :(

-Loki- on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hanging out here practicing mah bolt action no scopes

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anyone interested in starting a few games?

Angry Weasel on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Good games on the AOD server tonight, PA squad!

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought this game for $20

and i have to say that

so far it really fucking blows

Butterfly Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

and i have to say that

To be fair, you were following KimChi around (and nothing good can come of that ;-)). Also pretty much everyone around you has spent way more time with the game then you have, so you're having to overcome both the basic learning curve and the skill gap. If you've never played a Battlefield game before, this one can be a rough introduction to the series.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

and i have to say that

Attach C4 to vehicles and drive them into people or buildings.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hated this game until I got some decent unlocks. And then I played MW2 which is absolute trash in comparison.

</2cents>

hailthefish on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

and i have to say that

It's always difficult coming into an online game ( I am assuming you are discussing multi not single player) more than a couple months after launch for pretty much the reasons carbonfire said.

At first you *will* get slaughtered as you don't know the maps - and so won't be so aware of just how visible you are at certain points on the map - or that you are taking the common path that all the enemy are watching..plus if you haven't played a BF game before the bullet drop and recoil/accuracy may screw up your hit rate.

My recommendation, which will probably be wrong but watevah..If I were starting the game now, and felt overwhelmed, I would start off by doing two things:

a) Find empty servers and run around the maps to get a feel for them plus use the environment to practice shooting (cans, barrels, windows - things that you can see get hit from a distance). Also if there are vehicles on the map you can firkle about with them and see how they respond.

b) Play as Recon initially so that you can hang back from the main attack and watch how the map plays out - see which paths tend to get used most, look to see what visibility you have in different areas, practice long shots to get used to bullet drop - just don't forget to spot every enemy you see.

Now, I am *really bad* at this game (and online-FPS games in general) when it comes to 1-on-1 shootouts, I will pretty much lose every time (as my sig stats show), but I can still progress and have fun in the game by playing my role and working to help my team mate, K/D ratio be damned.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png