As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dallas police officer actually receives consequences for his illegal actions!

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Dallas Police Officer Fired for Raping Prostitute
DALLAS — Sex... or arrest. A prostitute says that's the choice a Dallas police officer forced her to make on Friday night.

The department moved quickly Tuesday to fire Officer Jeffrey Thorn because he is still on probation.

As News 8 first reported, undercover officers were working on Friday night as part of their summer crime initiative when they allegedly found Thorn in a compromising position.

"A sergeant — to his credit — saw one of our cars idle for an extended period of time," said Dallas police Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson. "He went to investigate, and this is what we have."

Sources said the sergeant saw Thorn allegedly having sex with a woman believed to be a prostitute while on duty. Sources said investigators have a video recording from Thorn's in-car camera. It allegedly catches Thorn telling the woman she has a choice: Have sex with him or go to jail.

"She is obviously upset, and she obviously believes she was violated, and we obviously believe her," Simpson said. "That caused us to move forward with our investigation."

Dallas police declined to release the video, saying this is a serious case and they don't want to compromise the investigation.

Thorn was charged with sexual assault. The law considers it rape when a public servant coerces a person to have sex while under threat.

Thorn was quickly fired after his arrest.

"Dallas police officers will respect the rights of our citizens," Simpson said. "Anything, in my opinion, less than that is unacceptable."

The former officer now faces a life sentence in prison if convicted of the first degree felony.

So he's already been fired, and he's actually been charged with the felony of sexual assault. Amazing! And in Texas, no less.

Does this set a new precedent? It was, after all, an officer who investigated the idling cop car and reported the intercourse he saw. Do you think perhaps he just didn't have a choice at that point somehow?

I personally think this officer should be congratulated for doing his damn job. Granted, the officer in question was already under probation, but this is the sort of thing we ought to encourage wholeheartedly.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't see the Cops Gone Wild thread, but this is more a case of Cop Being Good, so I still think it deserves its own thread and mention.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Props to the detective for busting him and props to the department for firing him. I suddenly have a lot more respect for Dallas.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Actually, on re-reading that OP, this really does deserve to be there. This can be locked.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I fully approve of the actions of the police department in this case.

I also find it amusing that the officer was so confident he wasn't going to get busted that he threatened and had sex with this woman knowing there was a freaking camera inside his car.

But good on the police department for not only busting him, but doing it before civilians complained about it. Spot cop car acting oddly, go check it out. Yay.

kildy on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to throw a parade.

With snoopy floats. And Buzz Lightyear.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dallas needs some good press right now, even though "Dallas PD busts rapist member of staff" isn't the best headline you could hope for.

Our brand-new police chief just had his son killed by police when his son randomly opened fire on pedestrians with an assault rifle, killing several people, one of which was an officer sent to stop him.

Atomika on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does this set a new precedent? It was, after all, an officer who investigated the idling cop car and reported the intercourse he saw. Do you think perhaps he just didn't have a choice at that point somehow?

I personally think this officer should be congratulated for doing his damn job. Granted, the officer in question was already under probation, but this is the sort of thing we ought to encourage wholeheartedly.

Of course he had a choice. Considering the heinous shit cops have covered for other cops on before, he could not only have not reported it, he probably could have actively helped cover it up...and (had we found out later) nobody would have been surprised.

At least nobody with a brain.

So yes, he should be congratulated. We may have actually found us one of those "good cops" you hear rumors of.

At least assuming he's not one of those cops who lets his buddies off on speeding and DUIs, and only draws the line at sexual assault. Not to be a Debbie Downer, or anything.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So yes, he should be congratulated. We may have actually found us one of those "good cops" you hear rumors of.

At least assuming he's not one of those cops who lets his buddies off on speeding and DUIs, and only draws the line at sexual assault. Not to be a Debbie Downer, or anything.

Look, I'm happy just seeing this. Even the little things are a good step, no?

And it's kind of mixed PR, but I'd hope that people recognise that some officers are questionable anyway. Yes, I know that this is not such a safe assumption.

Linden on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Linden wrote: »

And it's kind of mixed PR, but I'd hope that people recognise that some officers are questionable anyway. Yes, I know that this is not such a safe assumption.

I'll still say it's a net negative. I mean, yeah it's awesome that a cop turned a fellow cop in...don't get me wrong. But cops are supposed to stop sexual assaults in general, so really the fact that the rapist in question was a police officer stills drags this into the red overall.

Just less far into the red than some of us have come to expect.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What a shitty thing for an officer to do. I'm glad he got busted. :?

Henroid on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Linden wrote: »

I'll still say it's a net negative. I mean, yeah it's awesome that a cop turned a fellow cop in...don't get me wrong. But cops are supposed to stop sexual assaults in general, so really the fact that the rapist in question was a police officer stills drags this into the red overall.

Just less far into the red than some of us have come to expect.

I suppose this is the critical component. Much of the police situation makes me wonder whether the whole thing isn't cyclic – the atmosphere sustaining itself through the need for trust and the like, rather than most people being actively malicious.

Linden on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Sounds like that cop watched The Bad Lieutenant one too many times.
    Show me how you suck a guy's cock! Show me with your mouth!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

What else would you show someone with?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I've never seen that movie, but the idea of Harvey Keitel saying that makes me giggle

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Suck a man's cock, he'll jizz for a day

Show a man how to suck cock, he'll come for life

Or something like that

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Houk wrote: »

Suck a man's cock, he'll jizz for a day

Show a man how to suck cock, he'll come for life

Or something like that

What the fuck Houk.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WELP, I knew this thread was left open for a reason

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So we go from Bad cop does bad, to good cops going against norm to actually do something against bad cop, to...men sucking dicks.

se++, a paragon of its kind

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    So we go from Bad cop does bad, to good cops going against norm to actually do something against bad cop, to...men sucking dicks.

This is D&D!

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

This is D&D!

No, I think this thread is channeling the spirit of se++.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's probably significant that he was caught and arrested by undercover detectives, who usually work separately from the line officers.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Without the recording, no one would have even listened to the prostitute. So sure, this is a step forward.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Of course he had a choice. Considering the heinous shit cops have covered for other cops on before, he could not only have not reported it, he probably could have actively helped cover it up...and (had we found out later) nobody would have been surprised.

At least nobody with a brain.

He didn't really have a choice. The crime was recorded in video by the car's camera. So if he tried to cover it up, he would be fucked.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cops have tried to cover up video surveillance before, but yeah, that's what I meant

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cops have tried to cover up video surveillance before, but yeah, that's what I meant

Cops have succeeded in covering up video surveillance before.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Cops have succeeded in covering up video surveillance before.

It's not like it's hard.

Most departments don't request the in car tapes unless something goes down.

Example: I used to work with a Deputy that was busted for some in car tapes he had at his house that showed him doing inappropriate things.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All I take from this is that in order for a cop to face justice there has to be a perfect storm of obvious, provable guilt and the officer in question has to be on probation and thus can't be protected by police union lobby.

Regina Fong on