Options

I'm a [CHAT]man (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man, Mark J. Ferrari, the guy who illustrated the backgrounds of Loom and The Secret of Monkey Island has a website with some insanely beautiful pixel art backgrounds.

So awesome, and so many! I wish there was a 'making of', I'm curious how much of it is placed by hand and how many shortcuts might be in use, and what they would be.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prox, have you written a cover letter before?

Yes, mine is way too long. maybe I should post it here.

PROX on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Post it, let's edit that thing!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks dudes:

Dear Art Recruiter at Blizzard Entertainment,

My name is Jeff Chuang and I have the skills, experience, dedication and passion to become the next amazing artist on World of Warcraft. Blizzard is the company I wish to work for above all others. It is a place where undeniably great games are made and where artists are pushed to their limits and grow exponentially. There are many things I can contribute to your art department.

I am skilled digital artist who is obsessive about form and color, applying knowledge of composition and silhouette to both 3D models and the textures painted on them. As a concept artist who is able to wade deep into 3DS Max I have a unique grip on design for games.

I have a large volume of experience working with groups of artist. For two years as an instructor at Art Center I lead daily critiques where I encourage constructive feedback and ask questions for the benefit of the group, and graciously accept feedback from my peers on my own work.

I am dedicated and passionate about working for Blizzard. I have been been meeting with your artists since the 2008 Game Developers conference. When Kevin Griffith recommended taking his environment class, I did. At Blizzcon 2009 Kenny Carvalho told me to improve my painting and learn 3DS max. I learned 3DS Max in two days and spent every waking moment (and some un-waking) in Photoshop honing my skills. At GDC 2010 Kenny told me to add more diamonds. I will tell you now that I have a fever, and the prescription is more diamonds.

My mage, Sandoiichi, has been traveling the fantastic lands of Azeroth for over 5 years, battling the most wicked monsters and befriending legendary heroes. To help shape the future landscape of this world is my greatest wish. To this end I have pushed my artistic skills to their utmost limits, because I am a true Blizzard fan, and wish to contribute to this game to the farthest extent of my ability. Samples of my artwork can be found at www.jeffrey-chuang.com. My resume has been attached to this online submission. If you feel that I am good fit, I would be more than happy to go forward with an art test and interview. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

For the Alliance!

Jeff Chuang

PROX on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Posting it in H/A would also be a good idea...because even though it's art-based, you're still writing a cover letter...and H/A peeps usually have good tips and suggestions on stuff like that.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    Oh man, Mark J. Ferrari, the guy who illustrated the backgrounds of Loom and The Secret of Monkey Island has a website with some insanely beautiful pixel art backgrounds.

So awesome, and so many! I wish there was a 'making of', I'm curious how much of it is placed by hand and how many shortcuts might be in use, and what they would be.

so pretty.

tynic on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    Thanks dudes:

Dear Art Recruiter at Blizzard Entertainment,

My name is Jeff Chuang and I have the skills, experience, dedication and passion to become the next amazing artist on World of Warcraft. Blizzard is the company I wish to work for above all others. It is a place where undeniably great games are made and where artists are pushed to their limits and grow exponentially. There are many things I can contribute to your art department.

I am skilled digital artist who is obsessive about form and color, applying knowledge of composition and silhouette to both 3D models and the textures painted on them. As a concept artist who is able to wade deep into 3DS Max I have a unique grip on design for games.

I have a large volume of experience working with groups of artist. For two years as an instructor at Art Center I lead daily critiques where I encourage constructive feedback and ask questions for the benefit of the group, and graciously accept feedback from my peers on my own work.

I am dedicated and passionate about working for Blizzard. I have been been meeting with your artists since the 2008 Game Developers conference. When Kevin Griffith recommended taking his environment class, I did. At Blizzcon 2009 Kenny Carvalho told me to improve my painting and learn 3DS max. I learned 3DS Max in two days and spent every waking moment (and some un-waking) in Photoshop honing my skills. At GDC 2010 Kenny told me to add more diamonds. I will tell you now that I have a fever, and the prescription is more diamonds.

My mage, Sandoiichi, has been traveling the fantastic lands of Azeroth for over 5 years, battling the most wicked monsters and befriending legendary heroes. To help shape the future landscape of this world is my greatest wish. To this end I have pushed my artistic skills to their utmost limits, because I am a true Blizzard fan, and wish to contribute to this game to the farthest extent of my ability. Samples of my artwork can be found at www.jeffrey-chuang.com. My resume has been attached to this online submission. If you feel that I am good fit, I would be more than happy to go forward with an art test and interview. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

For the Alliance!

Jeff Chuang
    nickelodeon-guts.jpg

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OKay I'm gonna go over there. How are you doing nightdragon?

PROX on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warning: I ain't no professionals in them cover letter writin's. HOWEVA.
    After looking at your post, I'd say that the first two paragraphs need to be trimmed down to the extreme. It feels to me like you're kissing their feet in the beginning, and a bit throughout, as well. The 2nd paragraph doesn't seem to really do much but repeat things already on your resume. A cover letter (as far as I know) shouldn't repeat the resume, but rather act as an extension of the resume. Listing specific examples, skills you may not have had the chance to get into on your resume, you can get into here.

I think you also need to inject a sense of confidence into the cover letter...I would also remove the part about having "pushed your artistic skills to their limits", as it comes across like you're saying "this as far as they'll go
    ". Rather than saying "Kenny told me to take his class, and I did" say "I took a class with Kenny" (obviously written better than that, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to suggest. I'd also remove the "if you feel like I'm a good fit, I'll happily do an art test and interview". Well, of course you would. It sounds like you're asking for one. They'd give that to you anyway if things worked out. I wouldn't mention it.

You say you can contribute many things to the art department, yet you don't mention what those things are. For the most part, I don't know if you're separating yourself from the crowd enough. (Also, if you copypasta'd this, it could use some editing...which I'd be happy to help you with :) ).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wouldn't be able to refuse a guy with that cool a last name CHUANG!

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Warning: I ain't no professionals in them cover letter writin's. HOWEVA.
    After looking at your post, I'd say that the first two paragraphs need to be trimmed down to the extreme. It feels to me like you're kissing their feet in the beginning, and a bit throughout, as well. The 2nd paragraph doesn't seem to really do much but repeat things already on your resume. A cover letter (as far as I know) shouldn't repeat the resume, but rather act as an extension of the resume. Listing specific examples, skills you may not have had the chance to get into on your resume, you can get into here.

I think you also need to inject a sense of confidence into the cover letter...I would also remove the part about having "pushed your artistic skills to their limits", as it comes across like you're saying "this as far as they'll go
    ". Rather than saying "Kenny told me to take his class, and I did" say "I took a class with Kenny" (obviously written better than that, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to suggest. I'd also remove the "if you feel like I'm a good fit, I'll happily do an art test and interview". Well, of course you would. It sounds like you're asking for one. They'd give that to you anyway if things worked out. I wouldn't mention it.

You say you can contribute many things to the art department, yet you don't mention what those things are. For the most part, I don't know if you're separating yourself from the crowd enough. (Also, if you copypasta'd this, it could use some editing...which I'd be happy to help you with :) ).

Thanks for the feedback. Please help me edit.

PROX on
  • Options
    Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just found one of our old Kenner Aliens toys. They're so great. Does anybody remember these?

http://www.toyarchive.com/Aliens/Toys/AliensFigures.html

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I had a bunch of those. The Alien Queen Hive Playset was the best. I was always hoping for an APC and a dropship to carry it.

I even bought the Hot Toys Aliens figures a few years back, but I returned them because they were so brittle.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I totally had that alien Queen! That was it from Aliens though. She had to fight my GI Joes and Star Wars figures.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just found one of our old Kenner Aliens toys. They're so great. Does anybody remember these?

http://www.toyarchive.com/Aliens/Toys/AliensFigures.html

Oh shit!

I love that Bishop has a huge gun.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I had a bunch of those. The Alien Queen Hive Playset was the best. I was always hoping for an APC and a dropship to carry it.

I even bought the Hot Toys Aliens figures a few years back, but I returned them because they were so brittle.

Brittle in what way? They look detailed. It seems like all of our old toys, the ones from the early nineties, are nearly indestructible, like they were carved from solid blocks of plastic. Everything was molded onto the figure; no rubbery janglies to tear off.

EDIT: The O'Malley figure is hilarious.

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have the gorilla alien kicking around uner my bed. And my friend had that bigass silver queen.

those toys were awwwwesome.

except the scorpion alien, whos special ability was to fall apart. Two days out of the box, and he did it if you looked at him funny.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Haha check out this picture of Bishop:
    http://www.toyarchive.com/Aliens/Toys/BishopBio1a.jpg

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thank you Mars, MT and Flay for your good vibes.

The book is a beautiful thing, I'm going to take some pics shortly.

Prox: the cover letter reads too much like a fan letter. There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying you're a fan of Blizzard products but it should be summed up in a sentence and no more.

From your point of view, you are assuming that being a BIG fan is a plus point that is going to give you an advantage over other artists. It is not. I'm sure they get millions of letters like this.

Also, the way you describe your previous interactions with Blizz artists doesn't really come across as professional: it comes across as a teeny bit creepy.

Your letter needs to ensure you come across as a confident, mature professional, who understands how to deliver work in a hugely competitive and commercial market. You are not writing to Blizzard because you are desperate for them to 'give you a chance'; you are writing to Blizzard because you are already delivering the standard of work they are known for, and are keen to be in an environment that would allow you to move onto the next stages of your already in-motion career.

Good luck with it dude.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Grenn, making changes.

Saw some great feedback on the H/A forums. Course it also feels like they descended upon it like a pack of wolves. But that's good.

PROX on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love how there are like a half dozen Alien variants that are completely made up for the toy company.

I also have to wonder why there are so many toys for the Aliens franchise considering it was pretty gruesome and not at all really for kids.

Then again, one of my favorite toys from childhood was this thing

http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/Predator/CrackTuskLooseComp1a.jpg

God I don't remember it being so hideously shitty, but I'm certain that was it.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Brittle in what way? They look detailed. It seems like all of our old toys, the ones from the early nineties, are nearly indestructible, like they were carved from solid blocks of plastic. Everything was molded onto the figure; no rubbery janglies to tear off.

EDIT: The O'Malley figure is hilarious.

Well, the toys come in alien eggs, all disassembled. So you have to put them together yourself. The joints have tiny little pegs and are easily breakable. Which is too bad, because they were awesome otherwise.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I love how there are like a half dozen Alien variants that are completely made up for the toy company.

I also have to wonder why there are so many toys for the Aliens franchise considering it was pretty gruesome and not at all really for kids.

Then again, one of my favorite toys from childhood was this thing

http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/Predator/CrackTuskLooseComp1a.jpg

God I don't remember it being so hideously shitty, but I'm certain that was it.

the past often comes with rose-tinted glasses

I thought my Batman toys were awesome, but after digging them back up, I've discovered that they're shit

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Still no soup?? Fine goddammit! I still have this from the LAST TIME I had to make my own!

poormango.png

Mangoes on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God, material callouts are more work than they should be.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hello wash-a-melon

how are things

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Prox, I'd try my hardest at finding the name of the recruiters at blizzard, then I'd address them personally instead of the generic opener "Dear Recruiter"

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    hello wash-a-melon

how are things

Tiring :P

There are parts of the concept arting job that are like actual work :P
    Material callouts are one of them. You basically go through your image(s) and get photos of actual materials for everything to help the production staff.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember doing material callouts for the EA class....and that was a pain, and I only had like 8 callouts to do! It just took awhile to find the right ones...

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember doing material callouts for the EA class....and that was a pain, and I only had like 8 callouts to do! It just took awhile to find the right ones...

Yeah the document I just finished had 400 some odd layers.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hello wash-a-melon

how are things

Material callouts are one of them. You basically go through your image(s) and get photos of actual materials for everything to help the production staff.

what, like for surface textures?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hello wash-a-melon

how are things

what, like for surface textures?

Yeah as kind of a reference point

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah the document I just finished had 400 some odd layers.

Hahaha, holy eff.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This is the side they don't tell you about on the Westwood College Online commercials.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We have a lot of the Aliens toys (including Ripley, Hicks, and the Powerloader YEAAAAH) but I also have this guy. He glows in the dark.
    http://www.toyarchive.com/STAForSale/NEW2001+/Predator/StalkerPredatorLoose1a.jpg

Red_Arremer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »
    This is the side they don't tell you about on the Westwood College Online commercials.

TIGHTEN UP THE GRAPHICS ON LEVEL 3

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Don't just play video games. Make video games.

THATS WHAT IM TRYIN TO DOOO. thanks for everyone's input in H/A btw. Can you guys recommend what I should do about my site: www.jeffrey-chuang.com.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you make games you can say "Tighten up the graphics on level 4", like in that awful commercial!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    make videogames if you want to work twelve hours a day with not an equal amount of compensation

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    sounds like the life for me.

PROX on
This discussion has been closed.