As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I get above XKCD quality?

youknoweverythingyouknoweverything Registered User new member
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
Or heck, how do I get to XKCD quality?

Are there any reasonably cheap tools or tricks one can use? Tonight I posted an illustration that I penciled then inked, then scanned. It really pains me that I can't even jump over the kiddie bar.

Drawing isn't my thing, but I'd like my next effort (or my next revision of this effort) to reach a higher plateau. Or any plateau.

eh-for-dummies-scaled.png

youknoweverything on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What is XKCD quality?

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    stick figures

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh is it a thing?

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah it's a webcomic

OP, there's no way you're getting over hurdles with cheap tricks
    if you want relatively good skills, it's going to take a lot of time drawing things you see around you or learning to draw shapes and put them together

Tam on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    fixed ^^

m3nace on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    m3nace wrote: »

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    most of the advice you're going to get is:

- DRAW FROM LIFE
    - DRAW EVERY CHANCE YOU GET
    - DRAW PEOPLE
    - DRAW THINGS

- DRAW

Which, while repeated a lot, is all good advice! the old "practice makes perfect" adage has stuck around for a reason (the reason is that practice makes perfect)

obviously it isn't going to happen overnight, but if you keep on drawing and trying new things, then you'll slowly get better!

personally the main thing that stands out to me about the posted image is that you seem very uncertain in your linework

focus on drawing things with one sure stroke, rather than multiple short wobbly lines

sure you'll make mistakes, but eventually you'll get more accurate, and in the long run it'll make your linework look that much more confident and crisp

ALSO if you're going to be hand-lettering, make sure to keep the letters from running over the top of each other. The current occasional mashups of letters (combined with letters that aren't all a uniform size/style), makes the annotations harder to read than you probably intended

those are my two cents, i hope you enjoyed looking at them

Fletcher on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bad day, ken?

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From your post, it seems like you're looking for basic advice, which the OP of this thread is perfect for. Browse through the articles, watch the videos, and preview the books on Google Books (and buy them if they suit your skill level and learning style).

MKR on
  • Options
    Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ripping off the style and humour of another webcomic is not going to get you anywhere,

especially if the webcomic in question is xkcd

there are no cheap tricks, if you want it to look good you are going to have to put some effort on it

Pereza0 on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ken, you make some good points. I have more musician friends than artist friends and I was always a little envious that their talent kept them in a mostly social environment. Drawing is a difficult solitary endeavor that keeps you alone in a room all night working your ass off. I've ended a couple of relationships over the years because some people just can't give you the amount of alone time that your going to need.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    youknoweverythingyouknoweverything Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the remarks. I especially appreciate the link to the thread for novices, and the comment about what needs the most improvement. The comment about crapping in peoples' eyeballs, not so much. ;)

youknoweverything on