As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Nevermind, ALL HAIL SYSTEM RESTORE!)

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
Early this morning I got hit by a pretty nasty hijacker, that AV Security whatsit. and had to kill the power since it was actively going after Task Manager. Three hours and a sweep by Spybot and MSE later, and I'm supposedly clean...except that now I can't connect to anything. Rather, I can't - my computer thinks otherwise, and says it's got a connection when I check the appropriate sections. Steam will launch without giving me the initial "Steam cannot connect to the internet" business it gives in a total disconnection, but any serious attempt to go anywhere leads nowhere.

The bugs in question were Win32\FakeSpyPro, CVE-2009-3867, Tracur.C and Bamital.E. They didn't actually go after any system files directly, at least according to MSE, just a bunch of temp stuff, and the only thing more permenant that was affected was overlay.xul in Chrome (which I don't even use).

Googling around didn't give me much of a lead, so hopefully one of you folks might be able to report something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Windows 7 64,

Sorenson on

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hooray for periodically backing up your system state

Now if only more people would do this

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    System Restore has come a long way. Not everyone knows this, unfortunately.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Change all your passwords and assume anything stored has already been uploaded to a server in Moscow. If you stored any CC info accessible using said passwords, call your bank.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif