As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PTA] Team Wang! Hey, what do you know? Updates!

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    New OP is New.

Character Sign Ups are Open.

Random Caps are Cool.

Reposting my character, because she's perfect for this campaign

What's gonna be the max size of players for this campaign?

Also I think I didn't allocate a stat point somewhere but I'm not sure, I'll go check

Name- Sara Draggin
    Age- 19
    Gender- Female
    Level: 1

Strength- 6 (-2)
    Dexterity- 5 (-2)
    Constitution- 6 (-2)
    Intelligence- 12 (+1)
    Wisdom- 19 (+4)
    Charisma- 17 (+3)

HP 30
    Evasion Bonus 0
    Perception +4
    Persuasion +3
    Damage Bonus 0
    Academics 1

Base Class: Breeder

Features:
    Breeder – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 CHA, 13 WIS
    Key Abilities: +1 CHA +1 WIS
    Negligent Ability -2 DEX
    Class Features: Egg Factory, Natural Edge

Egg Factory: Breeder Feature
    Static
    Target: Eggs in the possession of the Breeder.
    Effect: You may make up to 7 different Breeding Checks per day; the check for Breeding is 35 instead of 25; and when making Breeding Checks, your rolls are not penalized if your Pokemon spend less then 12 hours together. Your Pokemon must still have at least 8 hours together.

Natural Edge: Breeder Feature
    Daily
    Target: A hatching egg.
    Effect: Add half of your CHA modifier to any of the pokemon’s base stat and add half of your WIS modifier to any different base stat of the same pokemon. This becomes your pokemon’s new base stats.

Short Blade Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Breeder or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 16 CHA
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CHA modifier.

Short Blade Weapons Proficiency: Arms Feature
    Prerequisites: Short Blade Weapons User
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d8 + CHA modifier.

Short Blade Weapons Master: Arms Feature
    Prerequisites: Short Blade Weapons Proficiency
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 2d8 + CHA modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Lotad
    Species: Lotad
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Moves: Leech Seed (egg move), Astonish, Growl

Description:
    Second child, and only daughter, of the prestigious Draggin clan, Sara had never really been loved by her family. Her big brother Lance always got the attention and love she so desperately desired from her parents, always grabbing the spotlight. Oh, she got an A in school? Well Lance got a degree in Biochemistry with a double major in Dragonite Culture! Oh, she made a sweater for Mom and Dad's anniversary? Well Lance got his Garchomp to whip up a sand statue in testament to their everlasting love, preserved for eons! Sara caught a Pidgey? Well Lance wrangled a Zapdos with only his grit, determination, and his iron pokeballs! Fuck Lance. Fuck Lance.

Not like...Brock. <3 The dreamiest of all the Kanto gym leaders, Sara developed a crush on Brock ever since seeing him with that weird Ash kid on TV at the Kanto League finals. Sara quickly developed an obsession with Brock after seeing the video, quickly perusing any and all available media about him. After reading a short story about that Ketchum guy (seriously, who the fuck is this guy and why does everyone care about his goddamn Pikachu?), she read a short blurb jammed at the very end, almost as an afterthought:

"Ash Ketchum is joined by his two friends Misty and Brock, the former the gym leader of Cerulean City and the latter the gym leader of Pewter City and aspiring Pokemon breeder."

Pewter City? Pokemon Breeder?!

Inset was a picture of Brock with his Lotad. Oh my god. Sara knew what she had to do. Ready and raring to go hop on the next ship from Hoenn to Kanto, she quickly made preparations to leave. But wait! She had to make a good impression on Brock. Well, Brock likes breeding...and he has a Lotad...Sara quickly made the connection. She had to breed the best goddamn Lotad EVER to show off to Brock.

Sara quickly perused any and all available media on breeding that she could. She logged onto the Bulbapedia network, learned all about Egg Moves and groups and Natures and such, and after a few short weeks felt sufficiently knowledgable to breed pokes with success. Her first breeding project: a Lotad with Leech Seed.

Lance offered to simply give her one, but Sara didn't need his fucking charity. She didn't get why he always tried to be buddy-buddy with her. Fucking parents' favorite, firstborn, we fucking get it ALL HAIL LANCE fuck that guy. Fucking Lance, his friendly face was all just a charade, an act to put on for the others. Why didn't anyone else GET IT? Why did only she see through his lies? Was she in a world populated by idiots? Maybe he was threatened. Yeah, that's it. He was threatened because he's the best trainer ever (never mind that he got beat by someone with a name that's a COLOR-ooh I bet that stung didn't it Lance fuck you) and now Sara was gonna get some spotlight for once. Well fuck you Lance [strike]I'm[/strike] Sara's gonna be the best Breeder ever! Then Brock will love [strike]me[/strike] her and they'll live happily ever after. You'll see. You'll see.

The first attempts at breeding did not go well. The creations were monstrous- just gnarled hooves and eyes begging for death. Sara nearly broke down in tears- everything was going wrong. So wrong. She'd never make a Lotad, and Brock would hate her and she'd never leave, eternally in Lance's shadow. Fucking Lance.

How could her family have all this money from those trainers who lost to Lance's three Dragonites and couldn't give her enough to make a fucking Lotad with goddamn Leech Seed. Everyone around her is an incompetent! Not like Brock. Brock would be able to breed a Lotad with Leech Seed no sweat, after benching 300 pounds and knocking back a forty of course. ~Brock~

Then, when all hope seemed lost, Lance brought his friend Blue (what the fuck is up with these color names?) and his male Venusaur. Maybe Lance wasn't such a douche after all, she mused. Nah. Probably some ulterior motive behind this too. Fucking Lance. Of course, she played her role too- as the loving sister awed by her big bro's kindness. But behind the mask of friendliness she schemed of ways to show Lance who the real talented sibling was. He'd see. They'd all see.

With Blue's Venusaur, in addition to an Everstone provided by the Draggin estate, she quickly bred her Calm Lotad with Leech Seed. It was the happiest day of Sara's life.

Leaving the Draggin estate, she quickly set out to prove herself to her idol Brock, quickly hopping a ship to Kanto and a bus to Pewter with only her Lotad, five pokeballs, a great ball, her everstone, and her fanatic drive. She'd show them. She'd show them all.

Appearance:
    Black, shoulder length hair, kind face, yet with a glint of...something...behind her eyes. Almost as if she's thinking something entirely different than what she's saying. Very friendly and likable. Very attractive, although wears a lot of very expensive makeup to accentuate her facial features. Wearing a very expensive outfit- 5,000 Pdollar jeans, A denim jacket with a bright colored long-sleeve shirt underneath, cute glasses (the glasses are unnecessary, she can see just fine). Carrying the latest pokegear, the iCatch 4G, adorned with fake rhinestones.

Pokemon Sara'd like to meet:
    Chansey
    Gible
    Spiritomb
    Sableye
    Eevee

Inventory:
    Sleeping bag
    5 Pokeballs
    1 Great Ball
    iCatch 4G
    Knife
    Everstone (can I list this? I'll take a hit and have no money in exchange. If not, no worries)

Rent on
  • Options
    notsoynotsoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Your stats should add up to 65 for a Level 1 character. This is accounting for the Class bonus, since it is a net non-change to the character's stat total (two +1's, one -2).

notsoy on
    Soul Silver FC: 1978 3200 2285
    GT: HitoriLionheart or dailydro
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    Your stats should add up to 65 for a Level 1 character. This is accounting for the Class bonus, since it is a net non-change to the character's stat total (two +1's, one -2).

Oh, so I did it right then

Sweet 8-)

Rent on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too tired right now, I'll post a character whatever in the morning.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll probably post a misguided or outright bad version of a Poke-verse Power Ranger.

Haunter Man, Raichu Man
    Kay Suggested Machop Man

incorporating a pokemon name + man and sounding good is tough O_O

Egos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh I just thought of an interesting idea

If the plan is to play a bunch of thugs and gangsters

Make sure someone in the party has a mon that knows False Swipe

It'll help when you want to shake someone down without killing them

Naturally, you will want to keep a lethal alternative ready to demonstrate that you're not squeamish (something no bad guy should be)

notsoy on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    notsoy wrote: »
    Naturally, you will want to keep a lethal alternative ready to demonstrate that you're not squeamish (something no bad guy should be)

James ? o_O

Egos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    James isn't in PTA

Villains in PTA, especially with the powerful "weapons" they brandish, should have no trouble killing people who cause them problems

Losing to a Team Rocket guy in a fight doesn't send you to the Pokemon Center short some cash, it gets you mugged, hauled off to their boss, murdered, mangled, raped, whatever the thug feels like doing

Use the opportunity to demonstrate that IT'S ON NOW MOTHERFUCKERS without foolhardy plans revolving around legendary Pokemon, since they can kill you without really trying

notsoy on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Name: Jack Williams

Strength: 16 (+3)
    Dexterity: 5 (-2)
    Constitution: 17 (+3)
    Intelligence: 11 (+0)
    Wisdom: 6 (-2)
    Charisma: 10 (+0)

HP: 85
    Evasion Bonus: 0
    Perception: -2
    Persuasion: 0
    Damage Bonus: 3
    Academics: 0

Base Class: Ace Trainer

Features:
    Ace Trainer – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 CON
    Key Abilities: +1 STR +1 CON
    Negligent Ability: -2 WIS
    Ace Trainer Features: Enhanced Training, Improved Attacks

Enhanced Training: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon gains experience points.
    Effect: Each of your pokemon gains 1.2x the amount of experience they would gain normally. This replaces the amount of experience they would normally gain.

Improved Attacks: Ace Trainer Feature
    Static
    Trigger: Your pokemon’s damage dealing attack hits.
    Effect: When adding up damage dealt to the foe, add either half of your STR modifier or half of your CON modifier before your foes subtracts their defense or special defense from the attack.

Chain Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Ranger or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 CON
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Chain Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CON modifier.

Fist Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 STR
    Effect: The Trainer can use Gauntlets, Brass Knuckles, Cestus, Tessen, Cat Claws, Fan, Katar, Chakrams, Tonfa and any other Weapon that would fit into the Fist Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + STR modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Gojira
    Species: Larvitar
    Nature: Quirky
    Ability: Guts
    Moves: Bite, Leer

Appearance: Good looking, in a rough sort of way. 'Bout 64, and 180. Lanky, but strong and enduring, from his years of soul-grinding retail work. Got a well kept (but still bad) teenager beard and shaggy hair that he is totally gonna grow out now that he isn't working for Corporate Kanto, man.

Description:
    The kid was leaning on a mop, giving an old man a Look. A Look that was a mix of cold courtesy and oceanic, boiling hatred. "Two hours." The man stopped in the middle of his ramblings. "What was that, son?" "Two. Hours. It has been two godddamn hours, sir." Haughty indignation flashed across the mans face. "Well excuse me if I just wanted to find my Bulbaflakes." Jack pointed over his shoulder at a neon green sign cheerfully advertising "BULBAFLAKES! Right Here! Half off!" "Well! If this is how you treat your customers!" The old guy picks up some cereal and gives Jack a dirty look as he goes to the registers. "What was that all about?" Ahhh shit, Tim. I hate Tim. "Well, sir, I was just trying to help a customer." "Then why does the customer look unhappy? What is the customer Jack?" "Always right, sir. I'm sorry it's just that I've been here for twenty-six hours. Where the hell is Susan? I need to go home." "That's no excuse for berating a customer, Jack. Susan hasn't called in, so I'm gonna have to make you stay until Tom gets in." "I... I can't do this anymore. If I have to clean up one more puddle of puke I swear I'll--" A wet splatter crawls into the Sales Associates ear. "AAaaaaaagh! I can't do this! This fucking place! Arceus above it's sucking the life right outta me! I quit!" Tim's permasmile falters, blessedly hiding his gap for a half-second. "You can't do that, Jack." "I can't do that!? FUCK YOU! I can do whatever the hell I want! I don't work for you assholes anymore! Hahahahahaha!" Jack rips off his apron and throws the mop into the Bulbaflakes. "Fuck allayall, I'm out!" And with that, he strides into the elevator. "That was quite a show there, young person. Reminds me of the time I..." "Groan."

Jack is a pretty good trainer. Can be fucking nuts, but a good trainer. Hell, if it wasn't for that stunt he pulled in Pewter when he was ten, he could of been champion by now. As it is now, he's got a shit job, shit parents, shit girlfriend (who just broke up with him for like the fifth time. This week. God dammit.), and well, Jacks got a shit life. A life he's tired of. So when he saw that flyer for Team WANG promising a steady paycheck and all the Pokemon he could battle, how could he refuse? Fuck this city, but more than that, fuck this department store. Don't pay him enough to mop up all this... fluid. He's done with all that bullshit about being the very best, now him and Gojira are out for maximum profit.

Pokemon he'd like to meet:
    Nidoran ♂
    Horsea
    Seedot
    Magmar
    Kabuto
    Ghastly
    Yanma

Inventory:
    2000 p
    5 Pokeballs
    Outdated Pokedex
    Three feet of chain
    Two fists
    A bad attitude
    Afghan

Anything horribly, awfully, wrong?

Shock G on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Negative modifier on Wisdom gives your Perception checks a -2 handicap.

Other than that, it's fine. With how pricey TMs and Move Tutoring can get in PTA (not to mention availability issues for criminals), and the nature of the stat-up system, Larvitar won't be so unmanageable, at least compared to his in-game counterpart.

notsoy on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man but it is so nice when you get a Tyranitar

Shock G on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, someone earlier asked about the number of people I'm taking for this.

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's going to be between three to five (probably five, to be honest). I'm looking to make a good, varied, and interesting group.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is intriguing, and I'd like to sign up for it's newsletter

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks interesting.

Especially since this time we get to play as the bad guys in the world of Pokemon.

Working on a submission right now.

One question. How do we calculate/assign stats to a lvl 1 pokemon? Or is that handled by the DM? (OK, 2 questions really) Since I couldn't find the docs for it...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    DM can handle it, but if you want to do it yourself go to http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pokemon_Tabletop_Adventures
    and fetch it yourself.

All Pokemon have set of Base Stats, or what their stats would be at level 1. Each level-up gives you one point to assign to the Pokemon's stats. These stat level-ups must follow a Base Stat Relation, which requires the stat-ups to follow each other in a proportion determined primarily by the Pokemon's species (although other things can influence it).

Start by picking a prospective starter, and assign a name and gender.

notsoy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If it's not full tomorrow, I'll try to get through some of these rules and put together a character. I haven't played a play by post in like 5 years, if that's ok?

Also,
    On a purely hypothetical level, what is your perspective of bribes and do you have any preferences?

Hypotheticly speaking, of course.
    :winky:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Maybe when I get home from work...

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Also, how does inventory work within an organization like this?

Will we be assigned an exact, standard inventory, like grunts?

Or will we be individual operatives, and have to buy/manage our own inventory?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    OK, here's my submission so far. Decided he'd be the sneaky/stealthy guy of the group.

Name- Mitarashi Shino (Shino for short; real name is classified)
    Age- 18
    Gender- Male

Strength- 14 (+2)
    Dexterity- 17 (+3)
    Constitution- 10 (0)
    Intelligence- 8 (-1)
    Wisdom- 10 (0)
    Charisma- 6 (-2)

HP- 75
    Evasion Bonus- 3
    Perception- 0
    Persuasion- -2
    Damage Bonus- 7 (2+5 due to Martial Artist Improved Combat Feature)
    Academics- -1

Base Class: Martial Artist (though following the path of the Ninja)

Features:
    Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 DEX
    Key Abilities: Strength, Dexterity
    Negligent Ability: Intelligence
    Bonuses: +1 STR +1 DEX
    Penalties: -2 INT
    Martial Artist Features: Improved Combat, Improved Endurance

Improved Combat: Martial Artist Feature
    At-Will
    Trigger: You hit a foe with an attack.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers to the damage you deal as a Trainer.

Improved Endurance: Martial Artist Feature
    Static
    Target: Your HP value.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers and multiply the total by 5 HP. Add this to your HP total.

Blade Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Martial Artist - Gift
    Effect: The Trainer can use Swords of any kind, Short Swords of any kind, Two-Handed Swords of any kind, Sickles, Axes, Scythes and any bladed weapon between the length of 1 to 5 feet, and anything else that would fit into the Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d8 + STR modifier.

Blunt Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Researcher or Breeder or Capture Specialist or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 WIS
    Effect: The Trainer can use Maces, Bats, Clubs, Hammers, Morningstars, Staffs or anything else that would fit into the Blunt Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + WIS modifier

Chain Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ace Trainer or Ranger or Coordinator or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 CON
    Effect: The Trainer can use Whips, Bolas, Nunchaku, Chain Whips, Meteor Hammers, Kunai and Chain, Flails or any other Weapon that would fit into the Chain Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CON modifier.

Effect: The Trainer can use Gauntlets, Brass Knuckles, Cestus, Tessen, Cat Claws, Fan, Katar, Chakrams, Tonfa and any other Weapon that would fit into the Fist Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + STR modifier.

Pole Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Capture Specialist or Researcher or Psychic or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 INT
    Effect: The Trainer can use Spears, Poleaxes, Polehammers, Glaives, Halberd, Mauls, Pikes, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Pole Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + INT modifier.

Prerequisites: 14 CHA
    Effect: The Trainer can use Knives, Daggers, a bladed weapon less than a foot long or any other Weapon that would fit into the Short Blade Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + CHA modifier.

Starter Pokemon:
    Name: Zuul
    Species: Zubat
    Nature: Hasty

Pokemon Stats:
    Level: 5
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Moves: Leech Life, Supersonic
    HP- 5
    Attack- 6
    Special Attack- 3
    Defense- 2
    Special Defense- 5
    Speed- 9

Max HP - 30
    Attk Evasion - 1
    SAttk Evasion - 1
    Spd Evasion - 1 (are evasion stats rounded up? if so, all of it's 1, else it's 0)

Pokemon Shino would like to meet/capture:
    Croagunk
    Sneasel
    Spinarak
    Aron
    Rotom
    Magmar
    Treecko

Description:
    The man, now known as Shino, used to be a gym trainer, one of the many under the tutelage of the great Poison master Koga of Fuchsia City's Gym. He joined up after idolizing the way of the ninja, and he always dreamt of becoming one. His excellent, though questionable, use of Poison type Pokemon allowed Shino to excel in the Gym, almost on par with Koga’s daughter Janine. The future looked promising to the young, though headstrong trainer. That all unfortunately changed one day, for the worse...

See, there were rumours abound that Koga was going to step down as a Gym Leader. Some considered that Shino would make an excellent replacement as the aging Gymleader’s position, while the more traditionalists believed that Janine should continue to carry Koga’s mantle. Then, one day, Koga simply disappeared, without even naming the Gym’s heir. And so, the day came that Shino openly challenge Janine for the position of Gym Leader.

Janine gladly accepted, and after the other trainers sat down to watch the match, the battle started. Both combatants were doing quite well in the early stages, until Shino made a fatal error, costing him 2 of his Pokemon in the match. Desperate for a win, Shino did the unthinkable: he cheated in the match (thought by many as wrong, but Shino believed it was necessary: he was a Ninja after all, and Ninjas should never fight fairly). Little is known (or even spoken about) by Shino, as he believes that little secret of himself, should be kept only to him, but his cheating ways managed to turn the tide of battle. And so Shino won the match, though unfairly.

"Enough!", came a cry from the spectators viewing the battle. It was then that one of the trainers nearby stood up from the crowd near Shino, dropped his disguise, and revealed himself to be none other than Koga himself! Many, especially Shino and Janine, were surprised by these turn of events.

Koga then explained that he spread the rumour of him standing down, through his many disguises, to the trainers here in the Gym. He revealed that he was indeed stepping down as a Gym Leader... because he was offered a position as one of the Elite Four! He intentionally spread the rumour, and later faked his disappearance, hiding his true motives from the Gym so as to see what the most likely outcome would be. Fortunately, his speculations were confirmed, as he anticipated that the stubborn Shino would have challenged Janine to a duel. What he didn’t anticipate was Shino’s questionable use with his Pokemon, as well as Shino easily taking the route of cheating in battle. Disappointed with his ‘supposed’ replacement, Koga immediately promoted Janine as the new Gym Leader, as well as disbanding Shino (and stripping him of all titles, Pokemon etc.) from ever setting foot in his (or any other’s) Gym for life.

Half ashamed, half infuriated, Shino leaves Fuchsia City behind him. He was still intent on becoming a ninja, and would not give up on that dream. He left for the wilds, training himself in the arts of espionage, subtlety, survival and stealth. Years later, he has made his way to Pewter City, following the rumours of a criminal organization calling themselves TEAM WANG. Originally Shino intended to find the team and defeat them, like another trainer once did with Team Rocket, to restore his tarnished reputation. But after hearing that they are in need of professional ‘assistance’ and offering jobs, glory and well earned respect to would be trainers, grunts and researchers, Shino decided to join up with Team Wang instead, offering his shinobi training to help and even offer assistance to the group. Leaving his once honourable past (and name) behind him, he named himself Shino, signifying that he intended to start a new life... in crime!

Shino is a pragmatist when it comes to the world of Pokemon. He views Pokemon as tools to be used by man. Sure, he rewards his Pokemon, but only if they have done a job well done, and only then with simple things, like treats. Shino admires and respects the strong willed, especially those who know how to treat their Pokemon properly: as the tools they really are. He shows no remorse to those he fights and defeats, and is even outright merciless to those in battles that treat their Pokemon affectionately. He also favours a Pokemon’s function over appearance. For example, when choosing over a Clefairy or a Koffing, he would go for Koffing, as he might find some use with its Smokescreen move.

As a ‘proper’ ninja, Shino takes every opportunity that presents itself, whether in or out of battle.

Inventory:
    Cat Claw
    Short Sword
    800p
    5 x Pokeballs
    1 x Great Ball
    A Pokedex (shamelessly stolen from a hapless trainer in a forest while said trainer was lost; might be outdated)
    Sleeping bag (never know when you need one)

Smoke Bombs ( a ninja's 'never leave home without' tool)
    Black garbs (for nighttime espionage)
    Civvies (for datime espionage)
    Team Wang outfit (for 'business ventures')

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Name: Verity Jones
    Origin: Kanto, Saffron City

5'8", leanly muscular, straight medium-length brown hair, green eyes. Verity usually wears a beat-up old denim jacket. She also favors jeans and paisley bandanas.

Str 14 [+2]
    Dex 15 [+2]
    Con 10 [+0]
    Int 8 [-1]
    Wis 8 [-1]
    Cha 10 [+0]

HP 70
    Evasion Bonus +2
    Perception -1
    Persuasion +0
    Damage Bonus +2
    Academics -1

Features:
    Martial Artist – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 STR, 13 DEX
    Key Abilities: +1 STR +1 DEX
    Negligent Ability: -2 INT
    Class Features: Improved Combat, Improved Endurance

Improved Combat: Martial Artist Feature
    At-Will
    Trigger: You hit a foe with an attack.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers to the damage you deal as a Trainer.

Improved Endurance: Martial Artist Feature
    Static
    Target: Your HP value.
    Effect: Add your STR and DEX modifiers and multiply the total by 5 HP. Add this to your HP total.

Prerequisites: 16 STR

Prerequisites: 16 CHA

Description:
    Verity was born on the wrong side of Saffron City, to a single mother constantly working long night shifts at the local Pokemart to make ends meet. Verity's had to fend for herself a lot, and as a result she's rather fiercely independent. She always strives to be well-composed, never showing fear or weakness to anyone. Verity is bitingly sarcastic, but maybe a little too soft on the inside. She has a few bad habits, like smoking, cursing, hitting people, and making snide remarks.

Verity has been stealing for a while, taking what she wants with a bit of impunity. She's an expert at swiping stuff from dumb tourists at the pokecenter, especially aspiring pokemon champions. Suckers.

Pokemon:
    Name: Gloria
    Naughty Female Ponyta (Lv. 5)
    Capabilities: Overland 6, Jump 4, Power 2, Intelligence 4, Firestarter, Glow, Heater, Sinker
    Moves: Tackle, Growl

Max HP: 33

HP: 6
    Atk: 13
    Def: 7
    Sp.Atk: 7
    Sp.Def: 5
    Speed: 10

Base Relations: Atk, Spd, Sp.Atk, Def, HP = Sp.Def.

Att-Ev: 1
    Spc-Ev: 1
    Spd-Ev: 1

Verity had been loitering on the outskirts of the city when she suddenly caught a flash of fire out of the corner of her eye. An awesome pokemon! Verity had been waiting for a chance like this ever since she'd stolen her first pokeball. Unfortunately, whenever she went for a pokeball, the damn thing kept dodging her, hovering just out of range, TAUNTING HER. After a chase that lasted almost to Celadon, Gloria relented, and allowed her to capture her.

Since then, the two of them have been pretty good friends, getting into all sorts of stupid trouble. Verity will habitually use Gloria's tail as a lighter.

Inventory:
    1,300 P
    Poketch
    Sleeping Bag
    2 Potions
    2 Antidotes
    5 Pokeballs
    1 Great Ball

I changed some things around, to better fit the theme.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Psst. HP should be 70.

Con 10 - 10*5 = 50

Strmod + Dexmod *5 = (2+2)*5 = 20

50+20=70

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...Whatever do you mean, Kay?

My math is flawless.

:P

Lucedes on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Last edited by Lucedes; Today at 04:08 PM.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh jeez I was going to try and sign up for the second game somebody ran after I saw how the first one worked but it's too soon D:

This seems like an interesting idea, but I think running it "against" the other thread could lead to a lot of problems.
    Also, the team name needs to be something more pretentious and space-related.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    notsoy is running a game here that might work better for you, pigeon.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Whoa I didn't even notice that one

thanks!

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Also, how does inventory work within an organization like this?

Will we be assigned an exact, standard inventory, like grunts?

Or will we be individual operatives, and have to buy/manage our own inventory?

You'll be assigned gear for special tasks, but you'll be expected to outfit yourself with general equipment.

I.E. If you need a McGuffin to capture the Legendary Pokemon, Team Wang will either supply it for you from their mad scientist, or they'll tell you where to find it.

But, you should probably own your own knife if you want one.

So, you'll start out with...

2000p
    5 x Pokeballs
    1-2 weapons
    A Pokegear/Pokedex/Poke-something-or-other-that-lets-you-figure-out-what-damn-pokemon-that-is
    Some random flavorful stuff.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Jesus three separate games already?

Goddamn Marsh

Goddamn

hey cap can I have 2000p or does my Everstone tilt me out of the money? Just wonderin'

ed: Everyone should get the iCatch 4G! It has four...gs in it! That's like more than a Findroid! Plus it has apps! :lol:

Rent on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh noooo which game do I try out for?

I'll write up a new character for team Wang in a bit, probably going to go the mad scientist researcher/breeder route

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Updated my submission with regards to inventory and pokemon.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alex Marshall
    Country of Origin: Hoenn

Appearance: Average build, black hair. Dirty clothes, smells a little. Wears a headband and a bandanna, kind of like a jackass would. Doesn't look like he takes especially good care of himself.

Description:
    Things were going pretty alright for Alex. Living out of a camp in the desert of Route 111, he and his Trapinch got by constructing traps for passing travelers, robbing them of their valuables and Pokemon. The work, combined with his large amounts of free time, gave him an opportunity to learn a lot about the mechanics of Pokeballs, something that often came in handy when targeting wealthy trainers with fancy anti-theft balls.

Then one day, the whole operation went tits-up. He discovered that two men had fallen into his Trapinch's hole, and with them a briefcase full of incredibly rare Pokemon. Figuring he had hit paydirt, he didn't even bother looting the rest of the unconscious men's valuables, and moved them out and away from the trap, trusting the sandstorm to cover his tracks as usual. He wiped the serial numbers from the balls and left immediately to unload the hot goods. He ate like a king for about a week, but that's when some friends of the guys he mugged showed up, only they were wearing the unmistakable uniforms of Team WANG. Seems he accidentally horned in on their smuggling operation.Through some smooth talking, he was able to convince them to let him try and set things right. An agreement was reached: he would be taken on as a Grunt, working to pay off the money he lost the gang. If he worked out, he'd become a bona fide member of Team WANG. If he didn't, he'd be gutted alive and the murder would be pinned on that guy who testified against one of their now-incarcerated bosses. It's a win-win situation!

Personality-wise, Alex is a charmer, and mentally always seeks to be a step ahead of those around him. He is constantly doing what he can to give himself the high ground through lies and underhanded tricks.

Stats:
    Strength- 9
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 7
    Intelligence-14
    Wisdom- 9
    Charisma- 12

Derived Stats:
    HP: 35
    Evasion Bonus: +2
    Perception: -1
    Persuasion: +1
    Damage Bonus: -1
    Academics: +2

Class: Capture Specialist

Features:
    Capture Specialist – Class Feature
    Prerequisites: 13 DEX, 13 INT, Poke Ball Tool Box (2,500)
    Key Abilities: +1 DEX +1 INT
    Negligent Ability: -2 CON
    Capture Specialist Features: Poke Ball Repair, Capture Point

Capture Point: Capture Specialist Feature
    Static
    Trigger: You throw a Poke Ball.
    Effect: Subtract either half of your DEX modifier or half of your INT modifier from your d100 rolls when throwing any Poke Ball.

Poke Ball Repair: Capture Specialist Feature
    Daily – Every 5 levels gained, you may perform this Class Feature another time per day.
    Target: Any Poke Ball that has failed to capture a pokemon and broke.
    Effect: Roll d20 and add your DEX and INT modifiers to the roll. If the total exceeds 15, the Poke Ball is fixed and is treated as if it had not broken.

Throwing Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Capture Specialist or Psychic or Researcher or Ninja
    Prerequisites: 14 DEX or 14 INT
    Effect: The Trainer can use Darts, Throwing Stars, Throwing Knives, Kunai, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Throwing Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d4 + INT modifier.

Pole Weapons User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Capture Specialist or Researcher or Psychic or Martial Artist
    Prerequisites: 14 INT
    Effect: The Trainer can use Spears, Poleaxes, Polehammers, Glaives, Halberd, Mauls, Pikes, or any other Weapon that would fit into the Pole Weapons category. These weapons deal 1d6 + INT modifier.

Starter:
    Nickname: Sarlack
    Species: Trapinch
    Nature: Naughty
    Ability: Arena Trap
    Description: Alex's long-time partner in crime. Trapinch are known for digging pits to ensnare their prey. Alex has just taught Sarlack to loot his victims instead of eating them. Well... most of the time anyway.

Stats:
    HP- 5
    ATK- 12
    DEF- 5
    SPATK- 5
    SPDEF- 3
    SPD- 1

Capabilities:
    Overland 3, Burrow 3, Jump 1, Power 1, Intelligence 3, Sinker

Inventory:
    Pokedex
    5 Pokeballs
    1 Great Ball
    Pokeball toolkit
    1 Pocket full of sand that he hasn't gotten around to cleaning out yet
    Camping gear

Pokemon Requests:
    Diglett
    Voltorb
    Snorlax
    Mr. Mime
    Sudowoodo
    Oddish
    Pineco
    Ditto
    Rotom

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thought I would come up with some better class names for team Wang
    Ace Trainer --> Grunt
    Capture Specialist --> Theif
    Researcher --> Mad Scientist
    Coordinator --> Taskmaster
    Breeder --> Geneticist
    Psychic --> Medium
    Martial Artist --> Thug
    Ranger --> Bandit

Speed: We could just assume that the pokemon world just doesn't have the term wang as slang, and it's just some random word. It could still work as the Wang cell of Team Rocket

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Team We Are Not Good or something.

Like how Rocket became "Raid On the City, Knock Out, Evil Tusks" in the manga for some inexplicable reason.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One thing I'm wondering about that I've seen marsh mention a couple of times is loyalty. It seems that any non-starter pokemon have a chance to disobey commands, and this chance lowers if you're nice to your pokemon and raise their happiness. How is this going to work with a gang of criminals thieves and murderers who probably aren't going to play nice with creatures they view as tools?

Maybe change it from loyalty to fear, or respect? I'm not sure on the specifics of it

e: and as a side note when do signups close?

DontShootToasters on
    digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Still trying to understand the rules. Leaning towards making either a hacker with a porygon, or a ranger (to be a "detective") with one of the ghost starters, who will talk like he's in a cheesy noir movie.

Or a big dumb martial artist who thinks he's actually being a good guy while beating up people and stealing stuff.

Or a psychic grifter with a ditto!

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Awright. Starters are supposed to be level 5, yeah?

Name: Kingsley "The Beak" O'Malley
    Class: Bandit (Ranger)

Stats:
    Strength: 8 (-1)
    Dexterity: 17 (+3)
    Constitution: 9 (-1)
    Intelligence: 8 (-1)
    Wisdom: 8 (-1)
    Charisma: 15 (+2)
    HP: 45
    Evasion Bonus: +2
    Perception: -1
    Persuasion: +2
    Damage Bonus: +0
    Academics: -1

Features:
    Befriend: Ranger Feature
    At-Will
    Trigger: You restrain a wild with the Styler.
    Effect: Once you successfully Restrain a pokemon, you may give it the Helpful title. Until this ally is attacked, severely distracted, or has helped the Ranger in a significant manner once it is under the Ranger’s control. You do not get a complete list of the Helpful’s attacks, and it cannot be taken from the area you found it in or it will run away. You may only give the Helpful title to one Pokemon at a time.

Companion: Ranger Feature
    Static
    Trigger: You restrain a wild with the Styler.
    Effect: Once you successfully Restrain a pokemon, you may give it the Companion title. You may only have one Companion at a time. If you give a new pokemon the Compainion title, you free the other pokemon and replace it with your new Companion. To make the wild a Companion you must sacrifice half an hour upon giving it the Companion title to bond with the wild. The Companion gains experience and levels exactly like a Captured pokemon.

Bow User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: Ranger
    Prerequisites: 17 DEX
    Effect: The Trainer can use Bow and Arrows or any other Weapon that would fit into the Bow category. These weapons deal 1d8 + DEX modifier.

Slingshot User: Arms Feature
    Gifted To: DEX 11
    Effect: The Trainer can use Slingshots. These weapons deal 1d2 + DEX modifier.

Starter:
    Name: Giza
    Level: 5
    Species: Murkrow
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Super Luck
    Capabilities: Overland 2, Surface 1, Sky 4, Jump 2, Power 1, Intelligence 4, Stealth
    Moves: Astonish- Ghost, Peck- Flying, Pursuit- Dark

Background:
    Kingsley was born on the wrong side of the Magnet Train tracks, and never got over the fact that other kids had nicer things than he did. Constantly looking for ways to get what he felt was rightfully his- anything he wanted- Kingsley often resorted to violence and theft to achieve his aims. Known around Goldenrod City, his hometown, as "The Beak" for his long nose and penchant for unexpected headbutts, Kingsley further increased his nickname's aptness with the theft of a newly-hatched Murkrow from the Pokémon Daycare just south of his borough. Kingsley and Giza, as he calls his feather partner in crime, became fast friends and rapidly became infamous for taunting police and fellow criminals with exceedingly cruel practical jokes and taunts. Kingsley's fondness for felonies rapidly attracted attention from many criminal groups, not the least of which is Team WANG.

Inventory
    Recurve Bow (looted)
    50 arrows (unlawfully taken)
    Caputre Styler (stolen)
    5x Pokéballs (you guessed it)
    1x Great Ball (gift)

Corncob Pipe
    Flask of Whiskey
    Rigged Dice
    Double Sided Coin

Pokémon He'd Totally Steal
    Yanma
    Gligar
    Gible
    Skorupi
    Carvanha
    Nincada

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How do you figure out what your Pokemon's starting stats are? The Pokedex doesn't list anything and Marsh's guide only says how leveling up works.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    there's a 750 page doc somewhere with all the base stats

Squall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Do you have a link? I'm not seeing it anywhere. The only doc I can find is the 701 page one that lists pretty much everything other than base stats.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you have the splatbook, it's in the GM only section, just lists pokemon stats. It's a spreadsheet.

Lucedes on