As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airlines in America

CristoCristo Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I was hoping you guys could help me out with this one.

I'm flying from New York JFK to Kansas City airport around the 6th - 7th August but I don't know that many American airlines and was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions??

I don't really know any American airlines (aside from AA and Delta) but in the end I just need to get from NY to Kansas as cheaply as possible.

Cheers! :)

Cristo on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    kayak.com says the cheapest around there will be a $222 one way flight at 8:30 am with 2 stops lasting just under 7 hours on the 6th

with Delta

oh on the 7th there's a 12:30 pm flight with 2 stops lasting 9 hours for $207

Delta again

Raneados on
  • Options
    TrillionGramsTrillionGrams Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Southwest is THE airline (if you can fly out of LaGuardia instead of JFK)

The don't charge for checked bags. You can change your flight without any fee at all up to 24 before the flight. They have excellent customer service. Check the website everyday and you can find some really CHEAP flights.

If you're flying SW, make sure to check in 24 hours ON THE DOT online. SW doesn't assign seats, it's first come first serve. So you want to check in as soon as possible so that you get a better place in "line" to pick your seat.

Southwest is the only way to fly here.

Edit: Raneados suggested Kayak to search for flights. That's also a really great option, but Kayak doesn't search Southwest. So use Southwest.com in conjunction with Kayak.

TrillionGrams on
  • Options
    CorcoranCadetCorcoranCadet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Frankly, whichever one is the cheapest. A lot of people like Southwest, but I found their service to be roughly the same as every other airline. The market for air travel is not terribly competitive, so you get a pretty similar product no matter which airline you fly.

CorcoranCadet on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I personally love Delta. They've always done a great job whenever I've flown. That and they have and they have the super cute redhead wagging her finger at you in the safety video.

Esh on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you're tall, fly Southwest. I'm 6'4, and Southwest is the only airline with seats I can sit comfortably in. The rest, the seats are so close together I have to sit almost sideways, my knees hit the seat in front of me. Plus their beverage and snack service is still free, and if you ask nicely, it's basically unlimited. They'll literally bring you the box of snacks and let you grab handfuls. And, no fee for checked bags.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks fellas, I'll check out Southwest and Delta :))

Cristo on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Southwest is great and I am sad whenever I fly another airline. High points for me are decent leg room and flights that arrive on time.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jet Blue is a great one for cross-country flights as they have free satellite television on the backs of every seat on the airplane. Caught the England-Germany futbol game during my flight from NYC to Phoenix.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think this really applies for your flight, but I recently flew on Midwest Airlines and they baked cookies in their on-plane oven. And they do this for every flight. I had three flights in a row.

:D

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Southwest is the only airline I've flown with suicide seats (i.e. facing the rear of the plane), and that was kind of freaky. They're generally the cheapest around, though they aren't as comfortable as some of the other airlines I've flown. Also, due to the price, they have a higher propensity for annoying fliers: the mother with seventeen screaming kids, the guy who gives the stewardesses hell because he always wants something for nothing ("what do you mean I have to pay for X?"), etc.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23