As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Wow, we go through these quick

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Hi! Welcome to the sales thread. Here we talk about how games have sold, marketing, PR comments, analysis of analysts and all kinds of other business-related stuff. Occasionally we make poop jokes.

Behold, June's info.

PlayStation 3 304.8K
PSP 121.0K
Xbox 360 451.7K
Wii 422.5K
Nintendo DS 510.7K

top-20-jun-2010.png

Aaaaaand go.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Review scores. Eh. I'll agree that score inflation is a problem but I don't inherently have a problem with a 100 point scale, as long as there's at least some sort of scientific reasoning behind it rather than pulling a score out of your butt.

cloudeagle on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I give the OP a 6.8.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So when does June's NPD come out?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    July 14, I think.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sometime after DQ IX does, which means I probably won't be here.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RDR still pulling strong. Impressive.

Synthesis on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Still pulling strong? That's from its first month of sales.

I expect it to do well in June but I imagine SMG2 will overtake it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I expected it would have dropped earlier. But I'm a pessimist.

Synthesis on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm quite interested in where SMG2 is sitting at as of June, since May's NPD is only a weeks worth of sales.

The game deserves it, as does RDR, since Westerns don't get enough gaming love.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did they ever explain why May's NPDs took so long?

Opty on
    edited July 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm quite interested in where SMG2 is sitting at as of June, since May's NPD is only a weeks worth of sales.

The game deserves it, as does RDR, since Westerns don't get enough gaming love.

Considering RDR and SMG2 sucked all the oxygen out of the room in May, I'd guess they did just fine in June.

Opty: I think NPD switched computer systems or somesuch.

cloudeagle on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not to mention there wasn't exactly a lot of competition in June.

Dragkonias on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    12. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) lol

DS – 383.7

I fail to see anything significant about your highlight.

jothki on
    edited July 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    12. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) lol

DS – 383.7

I fail to see anything significant about your highlight.

I think that was copied from my posting in the other thread when I posted the top twenty, so the emphasis was mine.

It was more because I find it hilarious how NSMB is still sitting in the top twenty after being out since the forever. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Too bad Mario Kart DS didn't chart as then you can make the hilarious * comment about how it launched the same day as the 360.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To be fair, it's probably the only real Mario platformer on the DS (excluding Mario 64 DS for being an updated port). Not surprising it sells well, though personally I didn't find it that great of a game (I still say it felt like they held back - like the game had this "we are remaking the original Super Mario Bros" mantra to it and anything that strayed just a little too far from that was axed).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited July 2010
    Too bad Mario Kart DS didn't chart as then you can make the hilarious * comment about how it launched the same day as the 360.

Though we can still make the hilarious comment that Mario Kart Wii charted even after all these months and Blur didn't even come close.

cloudeagle on
    edited July 2010

Though we can still make the hilarious comment that Mario Kart Wii charted even after all these months and Blur didn't even come close.

Psh, that because Blur is just too hardcore!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2010

Comments on the stupidity of others are always hilarious

UnbreakableVow on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Blur has legs. You watch! It'll top the charts for June!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thread title reminds me of when Nintendo Power changed to a 5-star rating system, which was very confusing.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited July 2010

It'll toss a blue shell at the top spots!

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It'll toss a blue shell at the top spots!

But there are no blue shells in Blur! It's doomed.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I should be able to get the last 20 or so stars in Galaxy 2 this week, and then I'll have to choose between RDR or Sin and Punishment 2 for my next project. Can't imagine we'll see S&P in the top for June.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can you imagine if Metacritic converted all the 100 point scale rankings into a 5 point scale? That would be awesome.

Weighting so that 40% is 0 and 80% is 3.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    I should be able to get the last 20 or so stars in Galaxy 2 this week, and then I'll have to choose between RDR or Sin and Punishment 2 for my next project. Can't imagine we'll see S&P in the top for June.

The chances of any game by Treasure being in the top ten are slim to none, especially a niche sequel to a hugely niche franchise from the N64.

So in short, probably not. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2010
    Can you imagine if Metacritic converted all the 100 point scale rankings into a 5 point scale? That would be awesome.

Do games even score 40% or less anymore? I mean, other than IGN giving Deadly Premonition a 2/10 because they hate things that are awesome.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Do games even score 40% or less anymore? I mean, other than IGN giving Deadly Premonition a 2/10 because they hate things that are awesome.

Giant Bomb scores things on a 1-5 scale, so anything two stars or less is a 40% or 20%

UnbreakableVow on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Usually a 40 or lower means the game is completely unplayable. I've only really seen games that were horribly buggy messes get that low.

Dragkonias on
  • akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

There is a reviewer named Jim Sterling at destructoid who habitually gives out 0-15% ratings. (Converted from their 0-10 scale mind you)
    It's even the same guy who gave Deadly Premonition a 100% mind you.

Example:
    Alpha protocall -2.0
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-alpha-protocol-174617.phtml

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mega-post because you stupid heads post too quickly.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    And fuck Sega, what do they know about quality? Or high ratings for that matter. Whens the last time SOnic set the world ablaze?
    Sonic 2006. Unfortunately, it was the bad kind of ablaze.

Taking Sega as a publisher was a bad idea. Im sure though that AP is Obsidians IP unless they handed control of it to Sega in exchange for publishing.

I don't know. Really, a lot of AP bad design decisions seemed to have been Obsidian's fault not Sega's.

I mean not wanting to put money into something they don't believe will be profitable for them is a completely understandable business decision.

I'd fault them both. Obsidian went through a bit of strife in the first half of the project, brought in a bunch of others (including Avellone) and they put the game back on track (though at that point they didn't have the time to create new animations or recreate some of the areas that'd already been finished). Avellone mentioned that at the point they were brought on, it was heading straight to cancellation town.

But Sega deserves some of the blame for their shitty marketing, delaying the game without giving Obsidian any extra time to work on it, for expecting critical success for a relatively low budget game and a couple of other things I've forgotten.

As for the AI, while AP's AI is definitely pretty poor, I don't really think it's any worse than the shit you'd encounter in some of the Splinter Cell games. Hell, despite the mediocre gameplay I'd still rate Alpha Protocol higher than Splinter Cell Conviction, which was a pretty poor game.

Oh and Sega do own the Alpha Protocol IP. Chris Avellone mentioned in a post-release interview that the team morale was pretty low partially because they didn't even own all the work they were doing.
    Couscous wrote: »
    It cannot be said enough how much those title names suck. Are all of the Move exclusive launch games produced by Sony?

Yeah, aside from some gun game from Bandai.

And the lone original game in the bunch, that thing where you use office chairs to try to escape from Yakuza or somesuch, wasn't well-liked by people who tried it at E3.

That gun game is Time Crisis Razing Storm. It's meant to have a couple of other Time Crisis games bundled with it as well.

I've heard plenty of positive opinions of the 'office chair game' (Kung Fu Rider), so I'd guess your enjoyment just depends on how much you buy into the wackiness of it.

Oh and Ape Escape 4 was announced last TGS, they just haven't shown anything for it yet. It'll probably make an appearance at TGS.
    Should just be a thumbs up or down from 3 different people. 'I liked it' or 'I didnt'.

And basing your game future off reviews instead of just sales and potential future sales is silly.

Eh, I think thumbs up/down (2 point scale) is a bit too arbitrary for my liking. I prefer a 5 point scale, where 1 = bad, 2 = mediocre, 3 = good, 4 = really good and 5 = awesome. No decimals though, those are fucking stupid and pointless. 7.5/10 isn't a fucking 10 point scale, it's a fucking 100 point scale.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Usually a 40 or lower means the game is completely unplayable. I've only really seen games that were horribly buggy messes get that low.

You mean like God Hand? :lol:

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited July 2010

Sometimes.

Sometimes they just don't understand.

That being said...it was lacking polish.

Dragkonias on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    @Unco

Thats a shame about the AP IP, so Sega just decides to sit on it and let it wither instead of following up and trying to build a franchise. ME1 was popular I know but I thought it was an atrocious and bland game, I enjoyed AP so much more than most games Ive played in the last year and its just killed off by a bunch of douche reviewers and Sega's inability to properly market or manage games.

DarkWarrior on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sakura says Japan can't DO big budget games.

He cites Sin and Punishment 2 being done by 3 people.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited July 2010

They don't have to be horrible or buggy

They can just be straight-up awful

UnbreakableVow on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Sakura says Japan can't DO big budget games.

He cites Sin and Punishment 2 being done by 3 people.

That's a bit of an oversimplification. I really like his actual statement.
    Sakurai explained that he's method of game design is starting with something very, very simple and "perfected for its gameplay qualities" and then trying not to force it into becoming a larger, budget-eating beast.

"Unfortunately, a lot of developers get caught in trying to out do each other and what ends up becoming is a simple competition in graphics or in scale and whatnot," he added.

"I think the most important thing-and maybe my overall message for this answer-is that developers just need to focus on what they're good at. And, while some may be good at these big budget experiences, others are not, and that could be telling of different trends between Western and Japanese game companies."

We're certainly starting to see a trend of Japanese designers developing games specifically for the West. Is that a good or a bad thing though? What do you say, readers?

Also the quip at the end annoys me. Making a Western-styled game isn't the same thing as using a Western-styled budget.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited July 2010
    Not to mention budget is no real indicator of quality.

I mean it can help make an overall better experience, but if the core gameplay isn't there it won't work.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2010
    I think budget tends to overshadow quality a lot of the time in Japan. See Final Fantasy XIII as an example - beautiful game but it's not balanced well from a gameplay perspective. I think the reason you're seeing western games selling so well is that they tend to put more of their "big budget" into gameplay over frivolous things like graphics. Thus you end up with a better game, even if it isn't the most gogeous thing ever.

Warlock82 on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

They don't have to be horrible or buggy

They can just be straight-up awful

Now you're just being stupid.

Shady3011 on