As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hockey helmet too tight

mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've had to buy all my hockey gear internationally due to pricing so taking this back isn't really an option. I could resell it, but it's so close to fitting I'd rather not.

At first when I'm wearing it it's fine. After about half an hour though it really starts to hurt. Is there a way I can shave a few mm of the foam out of the inside? Stretch it out by putting something in it? Will it just break in, in time?

Any ideas? My hockey coach said to put baseballs in it to stretch it.

edit: or is taking 1-2 mm off enough to completely ruin the helmets structural integrity? It doesn't sound like it would be, but who knows. I'm only playing beginner level non-contact hockey for reference.

edit2: insane waste of water but:

"1) put the helmet in the bathroom while running the shower on hot for about 20 minutes ~ this will make the foam inside the helmet more pliable; then,
2) form the foam by applying pressure using the backside of a tablespoon. "

mooshoepork on

• TheAngryDealerTheAngryDealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what kind of helmet is it? Mine has two screws that allow for slight expansion and contraction... other wise I wouldn't think shaving the foam would be too big of a deal. Especially in a non contact league, you'll probably need it more for banging your head on the ice or getting hit in the head with sticks but beginner league shouldn't be too high impact in either case.

TheAngryDealer on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what kind of foam is in it?

if closed cell then go ahead and shave it a little. though keep in mind it mind, it just needs to get broken in. foam will compact with use

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, my helmet has been shaved randomly in all sorts of places as I have a giant head. Structurally it isn't going to make any real difference. The bigger thing is making sure your chin strap is done up well enough the helmet doesn't come off when you wipe out.

hawkbox on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sure what type of foam it is, and I've already loosened it as much as possible with the screw system.

It's an Easton S7 :( I've tried putting the baseballs in it, but it isn't making much of a difference. Hopefully I break it in, or I'll have to figure some way to cut this foam properly... It's kinda squishy foam.

mooshoepork on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know squat about hockey helmets, but a properly fitting motorbike helmet should be sort of painful until you break it in with your head. Try just wearing the helmet for a while, maybe with a little ibuprofen?

Fats on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    there are two types of foam generally in hockey helmets

this kind
    mats-sundin.jpg

and then there is gel foam i believe
    if your helmet is made up of the former then it shouldnt be too bad if you just shave off a small amount till it fits comfortably, but it should also start to form to your head.
    also most helmets also have velcro-able padding on the inside, so you may be able to order smaller padding and just replace the ones you have in there now

if you arent in a contact league then i would say you are fine shaving down the foam on the inside

humble on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks like the gel kind with velcro.
    Was there any thinner pads in the box?
    Otherwise theAngryDealer is right, there should be screws to loosen it up.

Also, I played ice hockey for over 15 years and all "new" equipment took some getting used to so my suggestion is to persevere.

Aridhol on
    edited July 2010
    I've already loosened it as much as I could.

I tried it again today and it's pretty much unbearable after about half an hour. If I take it off for 2 minutes, put it back on, I'm good for another half an hour.

I guess I'll have to start hacking it up. It's like a gel foam I suppose.

mooshoepork on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How long is your hair, and how attached to your current hairstyle are you ?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    Kinda long and not very. I'm getting a haircut tomorrow, but won't be going insane. It definitely feels like it's pulling my hair. I'll see if that makes a difference.

mooshoepork on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    just give it time. take it off between periods to give your head some time to relax. theproblem is if you hack it up too much now when the foam compressess from its normal use/break-in you risk it being too big.

if after a couple weeks it still hasn't loosened up then start hacking.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Finally got a haircut, and it seems a fair amount better. I can easily last an hour without taking it off :) Mission accomplished I guess. Stretching it seemed largely unsuccessful though. I'll keep breaking it in.

mooshoepork on
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Where is it too tight? Is it too tight on one axis or another, or is it too tight all the way around?

chromdom on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally got a haircut, and it seems a fair amount better. I can easily last an hour without taking it off :) Mission accomplished I guess. Stretching it seemed largely unsuccessful though. I'll keep breaking it in.

This is basically the reasoning behind the hockey mullet )

( it's amazing the difference chopping the mop off can make in comfort)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just had an idea! Trade helmets with somebody? Surely someone there has a helmet that also doesn't fit right. Maybe you can work out a swap. Plus, you'll be able to try it on before saying yes.

Plus, I mean... you're a skater, not a goalie. When your helmet starts to hurt you, go to the bench. Enjoy a latte, get a mani-pedi, do whatever it is you guys do over there. But take a minute and pull your lid off, rub your head, and get yourself ready again.

chromdom on
    edited July 2010
    chromdom wrote: »
    Where is it too tight? Is it too tight on one axis or another, or is it too tight all the way around?

Seems to be kinda tight on the left side a couple of inches above my ear.

I just had an idea! Trade helmets with somebody? Surely someone there has a helmet that also doesn't fit right. Maybe you can work out a swap. Plus, you'll be able to try it on before saying yes.

All of the people in my hockey training are using rented gear. The scene is tiny here in Australia unfortunately :( I think it'll be okay now though :)

Plus, I mean... you're a skater, not a goalie. When your helmet starts to hurt you, go to the bench. Enjoy a latte, get a mani-pedi, do whatever it is you guys do over there. But take a minute and pull your lid off, rub your head, and get yourself ready again.

Haha, believe it or not all that skating around is kinda tiring :P Must be great just chilling down there. ;)

In all seriousness though, I could never be a goalie. I am a giant wuss.

mooshoepork on