As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shane better keep up those bombs or otherwise he's done for. His greatest asset isn't doing working out at all.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow from arm in Guillotine to Triangle choke win. Crazy

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sub finally landed right at the end there. Fantastic fight!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What a god-damn fight.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Gee I bet the sports bar in Arizona where everyone is wearing an Amped shirt is surprised they won that promotion.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cruz is really sticking his chin out like he wants to get knocked out...

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cruz is stealing these rounds with those take-downs.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    I don't think this has been posted, and it's well worth a quick listen. It's a little excerpt of a radio interview with Forrest Griffin about Jonny Bones and Anderson Silva. Absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube .com/watch?v=V1R50LpFh_M

How can you not like him. He's hilarious. At least he can laugh about getting his ass kicked as bad as he did.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pretty much. Benavidez is missing by half an inch each time Cruz ducks in for a hook.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good defense by Cruz. Benavidez couldn't figure out the angles or handle the takedowns.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I didn't expect this outcome because I felt that Cruz couldn't keep up that pace consistently for five rounds straight. That's alot to demand from somebody.

Cruz's the little engine that could.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jesus christ Cruz's ear looks FUCKED UP

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That last judge should be punched. The 49-46.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Who won?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great night of fights. Not surprised, as it is WEC.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cruz is slippery as an eel. Unless you're very patient and accurate, it seems like it'd be hard to draw a bead on him.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Cruz is slippery as an eel. Unless you're very patient and accurate, it seems like it'd be hard to draw a bead on him.
    He was doing less damage than Bene... Bene would counter his kick with a hard punch to the head every time. Cruz was like wild-swing-wild-swing-miss-miss dance a bit dance a bit. He got a few takedowns and did almost nothing. I can't see how you can award a 49-46 to him, and I didn't see him winning (although 49-48/48-49 seemed reasonable from the other two judges).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Who won?

Cruz won.

Wooo now Knockout Sports World is on, awesome!

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As much as I love Jorgensen, I don't think he has much of a chance against Cruz.

I'd rather have seen Benavidez / [strike]Cruz[/strike] Jorgensen for the title fight.

My DVR cut out in the second round of Pettis / Roller :-/

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, Brad Pickett looked very impressive with his boxing. He was easily out-boxing Jorgensen. Hadn't noticed him before, but he's on my radar now.

Palaszewski / Micklewright was stopped too early. But Mazzagati was reffing, and him making stupid calls is expected at this point.

adytum on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Also, Brad Pickett looked very impressive with his boxing. He was easily out-boxing Jorgensen. Hadn't noticed him before, but he's on my radar now.

Palaszewski / Micklewright was stopped too early. But Mazzagati was reffing, and him making stupid calls is expected at this point.

Yeah Picketts a beast, I actually think he won round one and it should have been 29-28's at best but w/e, it was a fucking awesome fight from both guys.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Pickett/Jorgensen was FOTN for me.

Great event as always. The last minute of Cruz/Benevidez was awesome - how the hell did they have the energy?!

Someone better GIF the fuck out of Pettis's breakdance moves.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fuck, the WEC fighters make almost nothing. Shameful shit.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Fuck, the WEC fighters make almost nothing. Shameful shit.

One more reason why the WEC and the UFC will probably be folded into each other in the next few years. These guys are starting to get more exposure and will start demanding UFC esque compensation for their efforts.

And I don't blame them. Even when the little guys go to a decision, they're still more exciting than a lot of UFC bouts.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I easily get 3x as much pleasure out of a given WEC card than a given UFC card. Therefore, I support the WEC fighters getting 3x as much pay as the UFC guys.

GungHo on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    I easily get 3x as much pleasure out of a given WEC card than a given UFC card. Therefore, I support the WEC fighters getting 3x as much pay as the UFC guys.

I totally agree with this.

What a great night of fights. Sucks that the next WEC isn't until the end of sept.

And Forrest Griffin... he is the coolest dude in MMA.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Recorded this, gonna watch it this weekend. The WEC is great, I almost hope they don't fold it into the UFC just so that the cards stay free. I know it's come up before but they've got to get a better network deal, VS is just not their best option.

Peen on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't watched the fights yet. Guess it's something for me to do tomorrow.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And I don't blame them. Even when the little guys go to a decision, they're still more exciting than a lot of UFC bouts.

Except for Mendes. Christ, he's boring. I think that's the only standup from side control I've ever agreed with. He wasn't even throwing Fitch-like pitter-patters, he was just pinning Cub. Even in amateur wrestling they don't let you pin a guy for 3 minutes.

And then the announcers had the gall to say Mendes was copying Chael Sonnen. Chael Sonnen landed the most strikes in any UFC fight ever, Mendes threw less than 5 in 3 minutes.

Good night of fights other than Mendes. Maybe there should be a way to take boring maincard fights off TV, the way they insert good undercard fights into the broadcast.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As Metal Jared mentioned, Urijah Faber was everywhere last night. Commercials. In the fighters corners. Screaming into the cage. In the stands spectating.

Everywhere I looked.. butt-chin!

Stephan Bonnar did a respectable job commentating.

adytum on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonnen may also have applied the "smother him" strategy, but Sonnen also absolutely stayed busy. There's no comparison.
    adytum wrote: »
    As Metal Jared mentioned, Urijah Faber was everywhere last night. Commercials. In the fighters corners. Screaming into the cage. In the stands spectating.
    They're using him as their "face". Considering the old "face" of UFC (Chuck Liddell) looked like an escaped prisoner, this is probably an upgrade. Still, they're getting dangerously close to overexposing the guy.

GungHo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Especially because, like Chuck, they may be overexposing him when he's past his prime. I say that only because Aldo treated him like a bitch and I think Faber's stuck in a weird spot in that weight class (ala Rich Franklin), not because I think Faber's not good.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm okay with his overexposure as long as Kenny Powers stays involved.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just noticed a major mistake in my post earlier.

I'd rather see Benavidez / Jorgensen for the title fight, as I don't really see that Jorgensen has much of an answer for Cruz. Benavidez / Jorgensen would be a more exciting match-up.

Too bad Cruz is so good!

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know I mentioned this earlier, but Bellator is on tonight for those of you that can see it.

Continuation of the women's 115 lb. tourney and the heavyweight tourney. Catch it if you can.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it bellator every thursday night?

Hamare on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Where is it being broadcast?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hamare wrote: »
    it bellator every thursday night?

As long as this season lasts, yeah. And I believe this season lasts until last September/early October.

And it's broadcast on Fox Sports Net here. I'm not sure where it would be for everyone else.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In Canada it's on The Score.

Hamare on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As fucking always, Bellator is being preempted by the MLB, so I'll have to watch it on tape delay. Blah.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie