As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mario who is Super and Papery loves to waggle

ChenChen Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
933012_20060509_screen001.jpg

2D...

933012_20060509_screen002.jpg

3D!

933012_20060509_screen003.jpg

zomg!

933012_20060509_screen004.jpg

lol wut is going on n hir gaiz
The story of Super Paper Mario is as yet unknown, but the game follows a similar layout to the Bowser levels in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, which recaptured the basic “jump on your enemies” Mario gameplay. Rather than being a gimmick though, this time there are fully-fledged levels featuring an array of secrets and puzzles – a standard for Mario titles.

To solve puzzles during your journey, Mario has the ability to turn the level by a ninety degree angle, allowing players to see Mario’s surroundings from a 3D perspective. This feature has a time limit, and must be reset by returning back to the 2D perspective. The ability apparently comes in handy when trying to cross obstacles. What otherwise looks like a mountain in the background for instance, acts as a pathway when switched to a 3D view, allowing you to cross over a trench which you previously couldn’t jump across. Another example: a tall warp pipe blocks your path, yet by using the 3D perspective, you can simply go around the warp pipe. Paper-thin ladders are also revealed for Mario to climb on to reach higher points. Controlling Mario during these moments is done in exactly the same way as in other Paper Mario games: by pushing up and down on the analogue stick.

The gameplay is deeper than this, however. There are some things that not even our favourite plumber can overcome and as such, you’ll need to enlist the help of Bowser and Peach, both of whom you can switch to at any given moment. Bowser has his classic fire-breathing ability to singe enemies, while Peach’s umbrella comes in handy to hover over long distances to reach platforms.

Besides the familiar faces, there’ll also be some new ones as well. If you’ve watched the trailer, you may have noticed two odd figures following the trio around. These two creatures are called “Fairens”, and act a bit like partners from the other Paper Mario games. One that looks like a butterfly acts as a guide and gives you information about the level you’re in. At this stage it's unknown if this particular Fairen feeds you information on enemy stats too, as Goombella did in The Thousand-Year Door.

The second Farien has multiple functions, in the form of Fairy Abilities. For instance, Fairy Toss allows you to pick up and throw enemies at one another when the Farien changes its form to look like a hand. Fairy Hammer, another example, allows you to use a hammer (like you couldn’t have guessed that by the name) when the Farien mimics that shape. For the time being, we can only assume these two Fariens will play larger roles and have more abilities than what has been revealed, but we’ll wait and see when the final product is released.

And what would a Mario game be without items? Mushrooms will no longer make Mario bigger, but instead act as a health food for his HP level. Not all RPG elements have been completely wiped out - aside from the mushroom change, Starmen have also been tweaked. Instead of making you invincible and glowing like it’s the festive season, you’ll become giant-sized in a similar fashion to New Super Mario Bros., though with one main difference - the giant versions of Mario, Peach and Bowser will be 8-bit versions of their classic NES sprites. Footage even shows Peach wearing her old white-coloured dress for those of you that passed the last castle, something which many of you will probably relive on the Wii’s Virtual Console. Fire Flowers this time come in two colours: classic red and the new blue. Instead of letting you shoot fireballs at enemies though, they now speed up your character if you obtain a red one, or slow your character down if you obtain a blue one.

As with New Super Mario Bros. many of the Mario staples are included in Super Paper Mario. Koopas, Goombas, and Hammer Bros. all return and look like their Thousand Year Door counterparts. Even the old 1-coin and 10-coin boxes return for those coin collectors out there. It really captures the glory days of Mario, so much so that there’s even a level that matches the 1-2 world from Super Mario Bros. perfectly, right down to the secret warp zone at the end of the level. Fans will no doubt enjoy spending some time exploring the level in 3D.

Aside from the classic-styled levels, Mario will also find himself at some stage floating in space shooting a raygun at enemies while wearing a space helmet. Presumably on another planet (we’re getting the Super Mario Galaxy feeling here), he’ll be able to walk up and down on walls. Boss-wise, there have been a few leaked details of some fights you’ll be up against. These include a giant blooper battle under the sea, a battle against a giant snake that you have to climb on top of to find its weak spot, and some sort of mummy.
GoNintendo wrote:
We have seen lists that say Super Paper Mario was on the Cube, lists that say it was moved to the Wii, and so on. It has been a back and forth issue for a long time now. Finally we can officially lay this rumor to rest, Super Paper Mario is indeed on the Wii. The latest issue of Nintendo Power confirms the title for April 07, and lists a slew of details. Check out some info below thanks to Andre.

Takes place in the town of Flipside, where a giant black hole looms overhead, complete with floating math equations (that old story again huh?!)

Mario gains the ability to change perspective at will, switching from the normal side scrolling 2d view to a 3d view of the 2d “paper mario like” world

Switching camera from 2d to 3d is necessary. Some puzzles can only be solved by switching the camera to reveal new paths on a level

Wiimote is held sideways, 2 button is used to jump, A button to switch view.

Mario collects friends called Pixis that give him special abilities. These abilities make use of the Wiimote capabilities. One Pixi named Tippy allows you to point the Wiimote at the screen to learn more about enemies, or discover hidden passages.

Shaking the Wiimote at the right time when you jump on an enemy allows you to get more points

Graphics have received a noticeable upgrade since E3 videos

Thanks Nintendo, now I have another damn game that I can’t wait for!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0dY_Ro5B-M

Boss Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxB_BwE9fjI

Let's keep it on-topic this time.

Seriously, I mean it.

V0Gug2h.png
Chen on

• Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks totally awesome. After how Twilight Princess turned out I'm looking forward to seeing how they adapt the special abilities to the Wii Remote.

I was somewhat disappointed at its move away from the Gamecube (as it would have been a great final "big" game for the system) but after how much the Wii has taken off it would be stupid for Nintendo to not get a new Mario game on there as soon as possible.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That's hot.

Seriously.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This better come out in April or I will be a very disappointed little monkey.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo's all about the April/May barrage. I doubt they'll pass up the oppurtunity to have the new DS Pokemon games and this out in the same couple of months.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If this comes out as scheduled and the rest of the games planned for '07 come out so much as before the end of the year, the Wii has no risk of "drought" whatsoever as far as I see it.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If we're lucky, us PAL gamers might see this game in April or May...

[spoiler:f68c896d6f]of next year.[/spoiler:f68c896d6f]

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man!! Is there going to be another shower scene?

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This will go a long way to filling up the dead launch period.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    TEC: :o :winky:

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Because it needs to be said again:

This is being done by Intelligent Systems.

Who co-developed Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

Which had awesome uses of the Wiimote.

Which also had stupidly nice-looking 2D animation for the intro/outro.

Unless a miracle of Satan is granted, this game will be damn good.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So, this'll probably convince me to finally get a Wii.

Blakout on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game makes me aroused.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Because it needs to be said again:

This is being done by Intelligent Systems.

Who co-developed Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

Which had awesome uses of the Wiimote.

Which also had stupidly nice-looking 2D animation for the intro/outro.

Unless a miracle of Satan is granted, this game will be damn good.
    Also, Intelligent Systems is one of the best developers ever.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    papermario26mk.jpg

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ahhhhhh want.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    I see what you did there
    :winky:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is the same team that translated the GC Paper Mario Game, right? They had some pretty funny stuff in that game (the ravens talking about surfing the internet was funny stuff)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GibberxGibberx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This reminds me: I was playing Second Life yesterday and wound up taking this snapshot. I still have no idea where the fuck all these Marios came from.

MariosEverywhere.png

Gibberx on
    Its+Tryke.png
    PSN: ItsTryke
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man I can't wait. This is going to be the best Mario game to come out for the Wii yet!

The art looks really nice in this game. Beautiful.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's getting more lovecraftian by the minute

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    God damn tease... wasn't this supposed to be for the GC originally?

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Will buy this.

Yes.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    God damn tease... wasn't this supposed to be for the GC originally?

Yes. But then Nintendo got un-stupid.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gibberx wrote:
    This reminds me: I was playing Second Life yesterday and wound up taking this snapshot. I still have no idea where the fuck all these Marios came from.

Hideous Polygons

Is the rest of Second Life that goddamn awful looking? Ignoring the Marios, it looks like someone has taken random polygons and textures and squished them together to create a hideous mess.

It looks like something I might have created in a 3D modelling program back in 1999. If I was blind.

It's like the 3D equivalent of a Myspace page.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oh god i have been waiting soooo long for this game.

so long

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    It's like the 3D equivalent of a Myspace page.
    congratulations, that is the most accurate description of second life ever, ever

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks so awesome.

I kinda wish it were still a GC game, though. I don't know when I'm going to be able to get a Wii. :(

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks so awesome.

I kinda wish it were still a GC game, though. I don't know when I'm going to be able to get a Wii. :(
    Tomorrow is your lucky day.

JJ on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    This looks so awesome.

Tomorrow is your lucky day.
    Not unless tomorrow I stumble across a couple thousand dollars.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WTH did you guys do to my thread?

Oh well. I'm so glad we finally heard something about the game, let alone when it'll release.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The new screenshots of the game,

56081520070123_023314_0_big.jpg

http://www.jeux-france.com/news18905_super-paper-mario-confirme-sur-wii.html

Too small to really see details, but it really doesn't look signifigantly better than the cube version. A little smoother, cleaner, crisper, but not terribly signifigant.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    GeraldoGeraldo Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    This is not the post you're looking for

He can go

move along

Geraldo on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Thank you for that.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I anticipate entirely appropriate re-interpretations of the old mario tunes. This game will be the very definition of a nostalgia trip. Looks to me about as graphically unique as Okami, albeit differently.

:^:

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Forget the shower scene I want to play as

[spoiler:fe2696a32c] naked, invisible Peach [/spoiler:fe2696a32c]

again.

Cullen on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Aside from the classic-styled levels, Mario will also find himself at some stage floating in space shooting a raygun at enemies while wearing a space helmet.

Fuck yes.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That goomba is leaving a circular shadow for some odd reason...

Edit: Oh, Sigma leans towards mushroom, man how did I miss that!

Meiz on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Goddamnit final boss of Paper Mario: TTYD, I HATE YOU!

Yeah, it's cool that this isn't an RPG as long as I see Mario 7 Stars RPG on VC soon. Plus, the math equations! *drool*

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Big Dookie wrote:
    Oh man I can't wait. This is going to be the best Mario game to come out for the Wii yet!

I... I would hope so...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SynapseSynapse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This looks like a dream come true. I remember seeing the vids back when, but I had forgotten about it in the haze of the Wii launch and so forth. I have no doubt it will be great, considering Intelligent Systems is involved.

Synapse on
    brawl code: 1719-2854-9722