As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet connection issues

WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
How do I troubleshoot this?

My wife and I recently moved to Albany, NY and our internet connection has been fairly on the fritz. My computer is on a wire, while my wife's and the 360 are on the wireless. Both lose connections, but my wife's and the 360 do it more often.

We have a wireless router, could that be the issue? Could it have been damaged in the move? There are also a lot wireless connections here - could they interfere with each other? But that wouldn't account for the line connection losing it as well, correct?

I'm not even sure where to start. Im fairly ok at troubleshooting computer issues, but network and internet connection issues are generally beyond me.

Wassermelone on

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Would it be possible to hardwire your computer directly into the modem for a day (or whatever is a bit longer than the normal interval where issues would occur)?

What router make/model and what firmware are you using?

BoomShake on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Its a Belkin N Wireless router. Good point about the firmware, I updated that after I read your post. We will see if it helps.

As for hardwiring the computer for a day, we can try, but my wife won't be happy :P

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    typically belkins are terrible.

I wouldn't be surprised if the shake rattle and roll of moving some how broke it.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When you moved, did you bring your modem with you and just hook it up at the new location? Or did the company you're with exchange your modem? When I moved from Chicago to Waukegan (about 30 miles away), Comcast had to give me an entirely different modem that was "set up" for the area I'd moved to. The one I had in Chicago would connect, but not actually provide me with any access.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When you moved, did you bring your modem with you and just hook it up at the new location? Or did the company you're with exchange your modem? When I moved from Chicago to Waukegan (about 30 miles away), Comcast had to give me an entirely different modem that was "set up" for the area I'd moved to. The one I had in Chicago would connect, but not actually provide me with any access.

Take it from someone who knows.
    If he got internet access, the modem is fine for where he is.
    The only reason you had to switch modems is because whoever you talked to is stupid. If you can get the "welcome to comcast" screen, you can get internet.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Take it from someone who knows.
    If he got internet access, the modem is fine for where he is.
    The only reason you had to switch modems is because whoever you talked to is stupid. If you can get the "welcome to comcast" screen, you can get internet.
    I couldn't. I'd get 4 solid greens and the "pc activity" light would flicker, but everything came up as unable to find page. I couldn't ping anything, either.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Were you using a router? the comcast DNS redirect trick don't play so good with routers.

The alternative is that you crossed a boundary between an area experiencing the "world of more" transition from one that was not, and your modem was using docsis 1.1 or older protocol.

I say this because, docsis 1 transitions aside, cable internet ALL uses the same Data Over Cable System Interface Specification, and it doesn't matter if you're talking comcast, frontier, buzz or whatever other cable company you might have, the modems are the same.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No, just straight modem to the PC. The installer said something about them being zip code locked, but as he didn't charge me for the modem swap I didn't really push for more info.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Regardless, its a new modem we got here.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Are you in a house? Apartment? Other wireless routers could interfere with the signal, if you're all on the same channel.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Go to 192.168.100.1

screen cap

post here

???

profit.

Captain Vash on