As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: HR spoiler-wary people stay out

1565758596062»

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Facebook thing or the Sarif industries site?

the sarif site.

ok, i could only trigger one mini game; the power implants one.
    looking forward to knifing people ;p

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Slortex wrote: »
    I know you get upgrade points for straight up murdering or knocking people out, but what about sneaking past them entirely? Its always frustrating when games effectively punish stealthy approaches by failing to give them upgrade points. The shifter mod for the original handled this by giving skill points for coming close to enemies without being seen and rewarding you en masse at the end of levels. Is there something similar here?

You get a huge XP bonus for finishing sections without being seen or heard. A bonus that far exceeds what you'd get cumulatively for killing them, but which precludes accessing some areas of the level because to do so you'd have to 'go loud'.

It's a neat balance, rewarding both styles of play without punishing a grab bag approach known as 'adaptive play'. You don't have to go full stealth or full combat, you can mix and match and be rewarded for good play in both.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, when did May become, "games I want come out all at once" month? Usually that was November, but shit my wallet just can't handle this kinda pain! Of the three I really want (this, Noire, and Witcher 2), I think I want this most just because it sounds so awesome.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more people posting their impressions after having played the game. I read the last few pages but didn't see much.

C'mon you jerks, tell me how much awesome fun you're having! The fridge stuff is encouraging, but I wanna know more specifics about how the game itself plays.

Edit: Oh, crap... I was sure I read this came out today, and then I saw posts about people playing it and I just... well, nevermid. So only 2 games I'm really excited about right now.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, when did May become, "games I want come out all at once" month? Usually that was November, but shit my wallet just can't handle this kinda pain! Of the three I really want (this, Noire, and Witcher 2), I think I want this most just because it sounds so awesome.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more people posting their impressions after having played the game. I read the last few pages but didn't see much.

C'mon you jerks, tell me how much awesome fun you're having! The fridge stuff is encouraging, but I wanna know more specifics about how the game itself plays.

Pretty sure this comes out in August.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I think you're confusing release dates with Witcher, which did just come out. No one's going to be posting gameplay impressions aside from previewers like Jintor until late.

It's going to be an agonizing wait. D:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, I missed all the puns.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't worry, they're just on ice.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You get a huge XP bonus for finishing sections without being seen or heard. A bonus that far exceeds what you'd get cumulatively for killing them, but which precludes accessing some areas of the level because to do so you'd have to 'go loud'.

It's a neat balance, rewarding both styles of play without punishing a grab bag approach known as 'adaptive play'. You don't have to go full stealth or full combat, you can mix and match and be rewarded for good play in both.

That... exceeds my wildest expectations. I'm officially convinced that this game won't disappoint.

Slortex on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know you get upgrade points for straight up murdering or knocking people out, but what about sneaking past them entirely? Its always frustrating when games effectively punish stealthy approaches by failing to give them upgrade points. The shifter mod for the original handled this by giving skill points for coming close to enemies without being seen and rewarding you en masse at the end of levels. Is there something similar here?

Yeah, exploration bonuses, baby

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    14jotud.jpg

Doodled this over a working lunch. Need a quote to display the image. Someone do a proper version with photoshop because I suck at drawing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jintor wrote: »

What about the guy like me who has a 99% chance of screwing up on the last guy and biffing the ninja bonus XP? Is there XP for avoiding individual enemies, or is it all or nothing?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Jintor wrote: »

What about the guy like me who has a 99% chance of screwing up on the last guy and biffing the ninja bonus XP? Is there XP for avoiding individual enemies, or is it all or nothing?

It's not whole levels. It is sections, between checkpoints.

For example, you'd get the bonus for infiltrating the warehouse unseen, but if you wanted to shoot your way back out again to complete the mission, that's fine too.

It basically punishes sloppy play. If you want to be gung-ho and murder dudes, you're going to get your XP mainly from kills and exploration. If you want to be sneaky sneaky, you don't get XP from kills or incapacitations, so they reward you for being unseen consistently, over an extended period.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Now, to figure out if I want to play this on the 360 or PS3. Since I have both.

I'll be interested to see if there are any performance differences between the two.

PC all the way, here. Already have it preordered.

As soon as the PC press started saying that the game was good even with the current mouse issues and crashing, I cancelled my 360 pre-order and bought it on Steam. To hell with pre-order bonuses!

Now excuse me while I go and pick up my pre-ordered copy of L.A. Noire from Gamestop....
    There's no other way to play this other than the PC.

You'll see why when you click on the spoiler.
    Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-action-shot-1.jpg

BlackDove on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So wait. Can you both be stealthy and an explorer? By can you, I mean would it still be optimal?

Because I like playing metal gear style, but I also don't like missing stuff.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    BlackDove wrote: »
    There's no other way to play this other than the PC.

Hotkeys?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Man those casing are going high.

Also first time I think I've seen the PC ui, nice and neat compared to the hugeness of the console one.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quickbar is like the... like... you can't play the game without it man. It would just be wrong.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Guys, guys, it's the future.

In the future all guns discharge casings from the top.

I mean, how do you not know this.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Quickbar is like the... like... you can't play the game without it man. It would just be wrong.

So you don't like pressing down a button to open a giant radial menu? Or how about exactly four weapons/items/equipment arranged in a cross shape even though the 1-4 keys in no ways resembles a d-pad? But those are the best.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

So you don't like pressing down a button to open a giant radial menu? Or how about exactly four weapons/items/equipment arranged in a cross shape even though the 1-4 keys in no ways resembles a d-pad? But those are the best.

No, no, I mean, that's obviously my first choice, it's just that I am a masochist and want to suffer, therefore I'm advocating the quickbar.

Pfft. The radial menu?

That's where it's at.

If there's not enough of something in this industry, it's radial menu's.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That reminds me of how the guns in Black had the casings discharged from the wrong side of the gun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They should have a crossbow with the mechanic of pinning ragdolls to walls/objects.

1. Drag body to refrigerator.

2. Line body and refrigerator up in crosshairs.

3. Take out crossbow.

4. Pin the body to the refrigerator.

5. ??????

6. PROFIT!

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    That reminds me of how the guns in Black had the casings discharged from the wrong side of the gun.

Lotsa games do that, because having hot brass ejecting in front of your face is hardcore yo.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I can't really complain. I too believe that design choices should be dictated by the rule of cool.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Real life side note: I'm left handed and left eye dominant. You get used to brass ejecting towards you.

As for that PC screenshot... I can't wait.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

CS:S did that, too.

the guy that did the viewmodels was left handed, so he modeled them how they would look if you held the guns left handed, then he flipped the models turnways, thus making every gun in the game their own bizarro world counterparts.

themoreyouknow.jpg

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They should have a crossbow with the mechanic of pinning ragdolls to walls/objects.

1. Drag body to refrigerator.

2. Line body and refrigerator up in crosshairs.

3. Take out crossbow.

4. Pin the body to the refrigerator.

5. ??????

6. PROFIT!
    I think we just figured out how to disguise ourselves as a guard while doing a fridge runthrough

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the DX site for the 'unlockable goodies' Facebook thing, the second item is a video of the dev team going to a firing range for a day. Apparently the casings thing was missed, but seeing as one of them said he was surprised the guns kicked up because he "thought the recoil would be straight back," I'm glad they went.

I...I think this actually happens. Might not work with fridges, but I seem to recall one of the earliest PC Gamer play sessions mentioned pinning a guard to a container by crossbow.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New thread. Post there lest you get iced.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On the DX site for the 'unlockable goodies' Facebook thing, the second item is a video of the dev team going to a firing range for a day. Apparently the casings thing was missed, but seeing as one of them said he was surprised the guns kicked up because he "thought the recoil would be straight back," I'm glad they went.

This is a fantastic thing and every dev team ever should be forced to do this. Then maybe we'd have more shooters that aren't filled with nothing but airsoft guns.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Disregard, posted in the wrong tab. Damn me and my tab obsessions.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png