As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony Move Bundles -- Playstation Move Kills Mii Commercial in OP -- CLASSIC!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dantree wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Vray wrote: »
    Any word on a shortage or if Sony is just releasing at a slow trickle? I had to go to five stores before finally finding a bundle at a practically dead K-mart. Everywhere else had only extra eyes and navigation controllers. I haven't seen much in terms of adverts and I can't really imagine them flying off the shelves like when the Wii first gained steam.

Best Buy had it on Sundays ad, but they only got like 6 controllers and the same number of bundles, my guess is they are going to try to do the whole "create demand by having limited release" sort of thing, which is just stupid.

Do you know for sure that BB only got 6 units, or did the ad just say "minimum 6 units per store"? Because the latter is only there for legal reasons, it isn't an indication of actual supply.

Yup, I asked one of the floor guys how quickly they sold out, he said pretty quick, they only gave us 6...

Fair enough, I just couldn't tell from your previous post. Provided it's not the Best Buy in East Nowhere, Nebraska, it does make me wonder about Sony's supply chain.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As an uggo, I'm a little afraid of the augmented reality component of both Move and Kinect. Love motion controls, but that camera shit makes me leery. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vray wrote: »
    Any word on a shortage or if Sony is just releasing at a slow trickle? I had to go to five stores before finally finding a bundle at a practically dead K-mart. Everywhere else had only extra eyes and navigation controllers. I haven't seen much in terms of adverts and I can't really imagine them flying off the shelves like when the Wii first gained steam.

Best Buy had it on Sundays ad, but they only got like 6 controllers and the same number of bundles, my guess is they are going to try to do the whole "create demand by having limited release" sort of thing, which is just stupid.

Do you know for sure that BB only got 6 units, or did the ad just say "minimum 6 units per store"? Because the latter is only there for legal reasons, it isn't an indication of actual supply.

Yup, I asked one of the floor guys how quickly they sold out, he said pretty quick, they only gave us 6...

Fair enough, I just couldn't tell from your previous post. Provided it's not the Best Buy in East Nowhere, Nebraska, it does make me wonder about Sony's supply chain.

Salt Lake City, UT, at one of the busier stores no less, I think their timing of the release was crap as well, right around the HALO game coming out. The place where I work (Shopko, smaller retail department store) received 4 controllers and no bundles.

I really just hope they don't fumble the launch as I like the product, there is a lot of potential there, but it runs into the vicious circle of developers waiting to see how it will do, and sony possibly screwing things up with a crappy launch.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Really enjoy mine -- I only bought the Move by itself because I have an Eye and wanted to try out the demos. Definitely going to pick up Sports Champions and probably EyePet, even though it hilariously didn't work for me sometimes. Was doing it wrong, I assume

Also enjoyed Tumble and echochrome 2 quite a bit. Looking forward to people really using this hardware for new ideas.

Omfg I'm laughing so hard. That was ME earlier tonight. Thought it was faulty calibration now I know it was not.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How well does it calibrate for sitting down? The time I used it in a store I was, well, standing.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just played with it. One thing I can say the the "ball" is really bright, and uniformly lit. The colors that it makes are very vibrant. I was looking for a seam in the rubber, or a shadow from the inside and there isn't one.

It's sexy, and Sony has always done sexy well, more accurate than a wiimote.

The sports game I can sum up in one word... Charmless.

One of the strangest things about Sony is how the company perceives their demographic. It's reflected in the characters from home and from this game too. It's like at the board meeting they put up a slide of some 23 year old douche-bag with a popped collar leaning against his BMW his dad bought. Breaking the silence, someone pipes up, "How can we better target these people?" like 90% of the population is like that.

I wonder of they even bother with demographic research. It's like they don't even realize they are marketing to a caricature.

Oh, and to calibrate the move, you have to stand in the frame. They show video of yourself from the eye so you can see where you are supposed to stand. Then you put the glowy ball to your shoulder, then to your side, and then to your beltbuckle. No sitting here.

halkun on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Really enjoy mine -- I only bought the Move by itself because I have an Eye and wanted to try out the demos. Definitely going to pick up Sports Champions and probably EyePet, even though it hilariously didn't work for me sometimes. Was doing it wrong, I assume

Also enjoyed Tumble and echochrome 2 quite a bit. Looking forward to people really using this hardware for new ideas.

Omfg I'm laughing so hard. That was ME earlier tonight. Thought it was faulty calibration now I know it was not.

It sorta worked the first time I did it! My camera was really grainy, so maybe my lighting is bad or camera sorta messed up or something. Maybe the set up is wrong and I need to wiggle at the bottom, or SOMETHING.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sports champions is for the most part awesome, my arms are jelly right now from playing archery and the sword fighting, for both I feel that two controllers are a must. I am madly in love with the sword fighting using two controllers, and felt it was so so the other day when I tried it with just one.

One controller is the shield the other the sword, with archery you use one controller to pull an arrow out of a quiver, and notch and aim it with the other. Very natural control set up.

I was a little disappointed that I bought the navigation controller, mainly because I don't have any games that use it yet, but I have discovered its my favorite way to, well, navigate my PS3, like a simplified remote. I know more games will be using it in the next while.

To me, this seems like a big challenge, knowing what controller setup needs to be/should be for the various games. Which games support simultaneous play, how many moves are necessary per player vs. how many are preferred, can the move controller(s) be hot potatoed, which games support the navcon, etc.

Seems like this info would be very useful in the OP of our Move thread (which I'm assuming is this thread?). I can certainly help gather this info up... as soon as I go buy the bundle.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    1018200207_VLS3r-L.jpg

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gabe says the Move is too inaccurate to play games like Killzone. True or False?

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    apparently the people playing MAG with it are suggesting if anything it'd be a massive advantage

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The reason I'm interested in the move is that I'm REALLY terrible at aiming with the analog stick. Heck, I even struggle with slow paced games like Resident Evil. I blame it on growing up without a console.

I'm hoping that the Move will allow me to play shooters on my PS3.

CrewMember169 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gabe says the Move is too inaccurate to play games like Killzone. True or False?

No, he said it has great tracking (where the accuracy comes from) but doesn't know how it will work as a pointing device. That doesn't mean it's not accurate. Really though, if you can point a Wiimote, you can point a wand.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    boo, i was going to buy a wand today so i could hit up some of the demos and see what the whole thing's like. but eb was sold out as

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just three starred every match in gladiator duel.

Those last few fuckers are completely psychic, and the biggest reward I got was a dead, useless left arm. Ouch.

I tried the Heavy Rain Move Demo (you can get it on the PAL PSN Store) and I don't know if anyone else has, but on my PS3 the pointer kept drifting to the right. I couldn't get it to stop, and thus couldn't really play all that well. What I DID see, though, was that they added some new stuff, at least to the tutorial. Scott gives a bum some cash.

Also, I kind of hate using the PS3 controller as a navigation controller. It makes perfect sense, except lefties are once again stuck in the lurch. You can set the game to recognized that you're using the motion controller in your left hand, but it still expects you to manipulate the left side of the Dual shock which is awkward to do with your right hand, to say the least. Both sides are identical! Why cant it just flip based on handedness?

Princepeach on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    They said there's an additional 45 minutes of 'movies' in the Move edition. People assumed it was behind the scenes stuff, but hey, the game is like one big movie, so it could be 45 minutes of additional game content.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just found out that the Move patch for Heavy Rain went up, so I'll be trying it later. The only thing I saw so far was a new (and rather slick) menu screen.

I did try the demo though, and was pretty darn impressed. The move controls work really well, and I like the extra level of interaction (like knocking on the air to simulate knocking on a door, or do a "reach for your wallet" motion when reaching for my wallet).

Can't wait to see how they handle the "toweling off" motion. :lol:

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked the move actions over the dual shock, but did find myself struggling a bit with some actions, such as knocking on the doors and a few others, I need to try out more of the demo to get the hang of things.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can't verify this yet, but I think if you basically imitate the action that the character is attempting to do rather than follow the motion prompt, you should be golden.

Just a theory.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't bring myself to even try this. Feels too much like I'd be cheating on Nintendo, and they've always been so good to me.

"Hey, but what about the Gamecube?"

Shut your dirty whoreish mouth!

Seriously though, I can't reward a company with my business when it's so obvious they just looked at what Nintendo was doing and straight ripped it off. That just rubs me the wrong way. Which is a shame, because I could see them doing some damn good FPS's on here.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sony have always done that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You know, it is possible that they were working with something like this before the Wii came out. The EyeToy is at least eight years old, after all.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's possible we'll all die from a comet tomorrow too, but you can't count on the improbable.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What is the release schedule for new Move game like?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Weird, I was just watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNdkm9s8AY

That's a PS2 EyeToy tracking, I dunno, a maraca or something.
    So I guess Sony were working on this stuff for a while. Who knew?

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Companies work on lots of different shit they never use. I wouldn't be surprised if Move was something Sony had researched but decided only to invest much money into when the Wii became popular.

Couscous on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

No need to be quite that pessimistic, I'm sure that multiple games are probably in production.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

No need to be quite that pessimistic, I'm sure that multiple games are probably in production.
    That was a hilarious typo.

I'm thinking of Move games where it isn't optional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_compatible_with_PlayStation_Move
    Those are... some games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't bring myself to even try this. Feels too much like I'd be cheating on Nintendo, and they've always been so good to me.

"Hey, but what about the Gamecube?"

Shut your dirty whoreish mouth!

Seriously though, I can't reward a company with my business when it's so obvious they just looked at what Nintendo was doing and straight ripped it off. That just rubs me the wrong way. Which is a shame, because I could see them doing some damn good FPS's on here.

Nintendo are the innovators (rumble, analog joystick, motion control)

Sony refines those innovations and make them better (naturally these come at a later date)

I have respect for the former, but I'll likely stick to the better product in the end

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So for people using this in Heavy Rain - do you still need to play standing up? Or is that only for games like Sports Champions.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can sit. In fact, I think Sports Champions is the only game that requires you to stand up.

And even then, I'm still wondering if you could just sit down after the standing calibration.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    and by "refines", UV means "Steals"

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    and by "refines", UV means "Steals"

And makes better, yes

Don't have a problem at all with someone taking a good idea and making it better

And neither do you apparently based on your sig, Alan Wake is essentially a not-shitty Alone in the Dark

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alan Wake is nothing like Alone in the Dark

Like, wow. Man. Wrong

Also I'm not especially in love with Alan Wake so I don't really care what negative things you say about it? It's an okay game but not like THE BEST THING EVER

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Alan Wake is nothing like Alone in the Dark

Like, wow. Man. Wrong

Also I'm not especially in love with Alan Wake so I don't really care what negative things you say about it? It's an okay game but not like THE BEST THING EVER

Alan Wake took a lot of cues from the newest Alone in the Dark

Like the episodic television-style format

Using light/fire as a weapon against beings of darkness

Objects coming to life and trying to kill you

Puddles of "darkness" that hurt you

Even retarded driving sequences and spots where you have to stay in a helicopter's spotlight

But no, I wasn't even ragging on Alan Wake. Like I said, I like when people take good ideas that may not have been executed well and make them better (like Alan Wake did).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But the newest Alone in the Dark was fucking terrible. That's a bad analogy. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

So was the N64 joystick and the rumble pak, so the analogy stands

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

What? Since when?? Just because they put the rumble pak in the controller, doesn't mean it was better because of it. And the joystick was good.... It's basically the same one they have been using on all their controllers.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New Alone in the Dark is halfway to being awesome. The open ended hunt around Central Park followed by traveling through the tricksy end "dungeon" was pretty awesome. If the game had been less linear during the first parts it would've been the bomb diggity, easily.

EDIT: To keep this topical, I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the Move is actually not a straight wiimote ripoff. It's similar, yes, but it's also obviously superior in a lot of ways, in addition to the augmented reality (annoying name, yes, but I don't have a better term).

In Tumble, the game uses an onscreen Move controller as your cursor, just floating. The thing is the cursor moves and angles and points with 1-to-1 accuracy with your own motions, and that includes depth. There just hasn't been anything like that on the Wii, and considering the way things are going on the system, it seems unlikely that there will be.

Also it's funny to see all the frantic hand-waving going on when the EyeToy is mentioned.

"Sony was doing motion controls before anybody."
    "Yeah well they're not Nintendo so we refuse to give them appropriate credit."

Princepeach on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

What? Since when?? Just because they put the rumble pak in the controller, doesn't mean it was better because of it. And the joystick was good.... It's basically the same one they have been using on all their controllers.

No, the GC one is the one they've been using in all their controllers. It is not a flimsy piece of shit and is awesome.

And yes, that's exactly why it was better, it was internal and didn't make the already terrible controller even bulkier, that and the fact that it didn't need batteries like the rumble pak did.

UnbreakableVow on