As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deadliest Warrior Aka Bro-shido blade.

JubehJubeh Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Deadliest Warrior
Platform: Xbox Live Arcade

Note this is my first op and its for a retarded game so please go easy on me.

If you're not familiar with the tv show of the same name, it's basically history for bros. They take two warriors, compare their weaponry and skills, and then decide who would win a fight. It's like a forum "vs" thread with production values.

deadwarrior.jpg

What's the deal man

The game plays like you think it would. You pit your favorite warrior against your friend's favorite warrior offline or online, and duke it out for the title of master of the universe. The game seems to be somewhat inspired by bushido blade in that a single blow can be the deciding factor of a round, and instant kills aren't exactly rare. You could have your arm removed in a fight, or even lose your head.

Now there are a lot of problems with the game, mainly stemming from the fact that its obviously a budget title. But that doesn't keep it from being fun. The animations are far from graceful sometimes, especially the finishing moves. The graphics are butt ugly, but it also costs 10 bucks so you know. Weapons constantly clip through walls, and sometimes projectiles get stuck in odd places on your body.

But despite that, its one of those laugh out loud style games that keeps you playing based on just how ridiculous it is. In my first online match I was playing as a pirate vs a knight. We were both critical so I tossed my grenade (which would have triggered a finishing move) right as he slashed me and the knight blew up into 5 pieces. Then I got an achievement for it.

Who can I play as bro

There are 8 characters: Apache, Ninja, Centurion, Spartan, Samurai, Viking, Knight, Pirate with supposed DLC characters in the works. Each pretty much fighting how you think they would, with the exception that they all carry several weapons. A close range, mid range, long rage, and special weapon, just like the show.

You can customize your warrior with weapons and armor you unlock in the arcade mode. Typically you'll just get a slower/faster version of a weapon you already have, or it may deal a different type of damage since the game uses a crushing, cutting, and stabbing system to decide how much damage you do to certain types of armor.

By far the best part for me is slash survival mode. It's your typical fight one guy after the other survival mode but with a twist. Every hit removes a limb, so its possible to be instakilled by a clean headshot or getting de-legged.

Otherwise you could just play versus mode and match up your apache (brocahontas) against your friend's viking, (brodin the wise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axjFHetlQnQ

And of course the best part is that you only pay 10 bucks. So who is playing this ridiculous game.

Jubeh on

• Options
    mofojacksonmofojackson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No one, apparently.

I played as a Spartan in the trial battle mode for a couple rounds. The demo seems to have decapitations disabled?

mofojackson on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In their defense the game is completely retarded.

Anyway about the demo. Maybe, but it's really hard to decapitate anyway. The game seems to randomly decide when a limb gets removed, or I just have no idea how to do it. Like if you pick the samurai and do the low swipe. You can do it over and over again and after maybe 3 hits the limp, but regardless of how many times I did it, I couldn't remove a leg.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard this game was like Bushido blade.

So I downloaded the trial, hopeful and excited.

I was disappointed.

It's pretty much nothing like Bushido blade, and alot like a poorly made beat em up.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I heard this game was like Bushido blade.

So I downloaded the trial, hopeful and excited.

I was disappointed.

It's pretty much nothing like Bushido blade, and alot like a poorly made beat em up.

Quoted for emphasis. This comparison needs to stop happening, in case someone with good intentions gets the misguided idea of purchasing this horrible game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A Spike Channel game sucks ass. News at fucking eleven.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I dont thinks thats gonna happen if you play the demo. You need to unlock slash mode to get something resembling bushido blade, which isn't in the demo at all. And even then that is totally tongue in cheek and not available for two players.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought this, its pretty hilarious. Friend and myself took turns beating up dudes on arcade mode. I've had a few one hit kills and i'm pretty sure its a tad deeper than you need to be aware of to beat up the computer.

Anyway couldn't get an online match last night, another thing worth mentioning i guess.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't wait for the Spike VGA Game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    I dont thinks thats gonna happen if you play the demo. You need to unlock slash mode to get something resembling bushido blade, which isn't in the demo at all. And even then that is totally tongue in cheek and not available for two players.

Still pretty misleading.

I was going oooooooh for awhile there. :(

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's not at all like Bushido Blade.

Slash mode is remescient I guess, but the gameplay isn't anywhere close, and that's what matters.

Bushido blade this aint. It's a poor comparison for a poor game.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Got the demo last night. It's ..... ok?

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    From what its based on its actually pretty good, i don't know who started the whole bushido blade thing, but beyond limping/losing the use if an arm in a fight they're nothing alike.

Then again if you're gonna hate on this for not being bushido blade, thats pretty unfair.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This game is actually fairly decent.

"LOL games is retarded cuz its a spike tv game" is a retarded arguement, and stupid thing to say. Its not perfect, but it is somewhat similar to Bushido Blade and there is some strategy to the fights.

Again, its not perfect but you have to find a better arguement than "Spike TV is for frat boys and I'm a hardcore gamer!!1"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't like it because the trial game gave me the strong impression that it was rubbish.

I guess I'm only posting as such because I was lead to believe it was like Bushido Blade.

But beyond that comparison, it's still pretty bad.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Spoilered for HUGE:
    sbahj5.jpg
    I was taken aback when I saw the preview of this on Live; it looked like flippin' War Gods, the Second Coming. Even as a budget title I can't think of any reason to justify its existence - just like the show! Their entire "scientific reasoning" behind each weapon test pretty much boils down to "which weapon looks like it hurts more", ignoring simple factors like tactical usage, experience of the individual user, and practicality. Looks like the game works in much the same way. I'd download the demo for a lark, but at this point I'd know exactly what I'm going to get.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    No, Tournament of Legends is War Gods: The second coming. This seems to be more like Time Killers 2: Less Dismemberment Edition.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    it is somewhat similar to Bushido Blade

You can't be "somewhat similar" to Bushido Blade, that's like a celestial body being "a bit like" a black hole. Either you are or you aren't, there is no try.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    No, Tournament of Legends is War Gods: The second coming. This seems to be more like Time Killers 2: Less Dismemberment Edition.

Hey now....

"TIME KILLERS..ENGAGE!"

"ONLY ONE MAY SURVIVE..ENGAGE!" still makes me smile :).

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

You can't be "somewhat similar" to Bushido Blade, that's like a celestial body being "a bit like" a black hole. Either you are or you aren't, there is no try.

Then it is like Bushido Blade. I don't see how it isnt really, except your character carries more than one weapon.

Still, in both games:

Fights can end in seconds.

A projectile hit to the head is an instant kill.

Limbs can be crippled affecting move sets and movement speed. (Limbs can be chopped off completely in DW)

I dunno, its a decent game getting some undeserved hate for some reason. Its either "LOL Spike" Or everyone was expecting the game to actually be Bushido Blade.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Then it is like Bushido Blade. I don't see how it isnt really, except your character carries more than one weapon.

Still, in both games:

Fights can end in seconds.

A projectile hit to the head is an instant kill.

Limbs can be crippled affecting move sets and movement speed. (Limbs can be chopped off completely in DW)

I dunno, its a decent game getting some undeserved hate for some reason. Its either "LOL Spike" Or everyone was expecting the game to actually be Bushido Blade.

For me it's the poor graphics, dodgey framerate and floaty controls. And the fact that blood flies around everywhere, and there are health bars which go down with every hit. I can stab a guy in the chest and he'll hardly react, but his health bar will go down. I understand that head blows will be an instant kill, but there's no real way to AIM for the head. So it's pretty much just luck.

It's nothing like Bushido Blade. There is barely a block/parry system there at all. But as I said before, I dont just dislike it because it isn't Bushido Blade. I disliked it for the reasons above, and was disappointed the Bushido Blade comparisons were inaccurate.

[EDIT] - And we dont get Spike TV here, so I am immune to that "LOL Spike" comment.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think anyone is saying it's a terrible game because it's sponsored by Spike TV. Everyone is saying it's a terrible game because it's a terrible game.

The Spike TV endorsement is just icing on the cake.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the game is actually really fun and not terrible. Weird how that works. Poor graphics...well its an Arcade game. The only game Ive seen that has alright up to your godly pars for graphics is Blacklight. When I buy an arcade game I dont expect amazing graphics, I expect fun gameplay, which this delivers. Especially with a bunch of friends.

Also if you COULD aim your weapon and they kept instant head shot kills then it would be bullshit because you know people would discover some cheap ass way to just insta kill you always. I like how they keep it random and how its kind of just a last ditch damaging effort that may or may not work.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mastrius wrote: »
    I think the game is actually really fun and not terrible. Weird how that works. Poor graphics...well its an Arcade game

Braid says hi

As does Limbo

Castle Crashers dropping in to say hello

Alien Hominid thought it'd extend a friendly greeting

'Splosion Man wants to know what's up

Battlefield 1943 coming by to see what all the hooplah's about

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MerculoreMerculore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Its charming, I hope they bro-in more mordern warriors like the mafia/yakuza guys via DLC.
    Good times if you arent overly critical.

Merculore on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's nothing like Bushido Blade. There is barely a block/parry system there at all. But as I said before, I dont just dislike it because it isn't Bushido Blade. I disliked it for the reasons above, and was disappointed the Bushido Blade comparisons were inaccurate.

I play bushido blade 2 on a regular basis so I have a much different opinion on it then most people, but the parry system in that game wasn't much better. I don't know about the first game because I haven't played it in ages.

Deadliest Warrior isn't much better than even that since if you whiff the parry you are still blocking (I think), but I for one am glad fights aren't just tink tink thud tink oh you got the bouncy death animation.

Also yeah there is no defending the graphics of this game. The framerate drops for absolutely no reason sometimes, and a lot of the animations are butt ugly.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the game is actually really fun and not terrible. Weird how that works. Poor graphics...well its an Arcade game

Braid says hi

As does Limbo

Shadow Complex is offended because he wasn't invited to the party.

I have this game by the way, it's dreadful, but I love dreadful games in the same way I love B movies.

But there's no way this can be classed as a good game.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I have this game by the way, it's dreadful, but I love dreadful games in the same way I love B movies.

Let's be bros mr grinch.

Btw if you play online, don't use finishing moves because dudes will disconnect during them haha.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The B movie comparison makes sense.

Its good times though i mean, i've got a friend coming over in a bit he doesn't really play fighters but i'm pretty sure he'll enjoy this.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This did get me thinking that an actual Bushido blade-like game with historical / classic fictional characters such as Yoritomo, Joan of Arc, Blackbeard, Maximus, General Sherman (he'd be a badass and you know it), etc... would be pretty fucking awesome.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Say what you will but crossbowing some dude RIGHT IN THE FACE and scoring a one hit kill is pretty hilarious

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bushido Blade HD would be amazing.

Same game.

Same controls even.

Just in glorious HD.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd settle for being able to buy it on EU psn. Actually Bushido blade 2, i have 1 around here somewhere.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Braid says hi

As does Limbo

I would love to respond with a witty comment here but I think I shall pass. There are tons of games on XBLA and maybe only around 10 - 20 with absolutely striking visuals. Must you really be trying to prove a point on graphics here? How many Arcade games have absolutely high quality graphics? Really? And Im serious. You really thought they would put all the work into visuals for a game like this? Based on a TV show? I get your point and I did mention graphics but to bring up a bunch of best-selling high-quality games such as those (and probably some of the only few WITH excellent graphics) is silly. Its like saying every 360 game should look like Gears 2. When theres like...2 Gears games....

Oh and I agree with whoever said what below. Shadow Complex as well. And Blacklight. Thems be good graphics too. My point here Unbreakable, because I know you love to try to prove people wrong, is that not every Arcade game has hand-drawn visuals made to be a feast for the eyes.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've since put in a few more hours into this. I unlocked all the stuff for Viking, Spartan, Samurai and thats it i think. Also its hilarious that this is in the the "top 10 wanted faqs" for gamefaqs

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm surprised no one has made a Bushido Blade game for online play.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was saddened to come into this thread and see all the silly geese talking trash about it. I'm having a blast playing this game with friends and have been since I bought it drunkenly at 2am today.

I was hoping some people would want to screw around and play online. Apache is where it's at.

Stevemarks44 is my gamertag, send me a friend request, I'll be on all day rotating with a buddy of mine. Everybody lighten up and realize it's not a $60 EVO tournament fighting game and that it's a game where I can take my Viking Axe and cut off the legs of your Samurai in one swoop.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this might be the worst game i've ever played in my life

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm telling you, get drunk and play a round robin draft tournament with your friends and its well worth the $1 each person will throw in.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Or just show it to anyone not into gaming at all and they'll think its goddamn badass and more awesome than street fighter.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the problem with this game is that it could be so much better if they made it an actual disc game as opposed to a download. With what they tried to do here, it's just so much they have to leave out for a space limited download game. Hence the shit graphics, 8 characters, bad hit detection, etc. Even if they do that it may still suck. But I like th idea behind this game and it could be good if the proper care were put into it. The full game itself feels unfinished and sloppy and the fact that it's endorsed by Spike TV only makes it even harder to take seriously, kinda like that racing game released by Burger King.

With all that being said, I downloaded this not really expecting very much so I wasn't too disappointed, and I've had fun with friends just running around and chopping each other to shreds. But once that novelty wears off, this game will be long forgotten.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST