As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COVERT AFFAIRS] Spies! Sex! No Buy Mores!

DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Covert Affairs is USA Network's new show about CIA spies on Tuesdays after White Collar. So far it's taking a more grounded approach to spy work than Chuck or Burn Notice, And so far, no the main character doesn't have father issues.

The first episode is up on Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/164108/covert-affairs-pilot

Let's do a quick cast summary!

Annie Walker
annie_02.jpg
No relation to Sarah. Literally fresh out of training, Annie's specialties include foreign lanuages and deception techniques. She joined the CIA after a bad break up and was looking for meaning in her life.

Auggie Anderson
auggie_01.jpg
Blind guy who happens rather suave despite it. He provide operations support. Amusing guy, and is good at hitting on women.

Joan Campbell
joan_01.jpg
Joan is Annie's and Auggie's boss. Married to Auther Campbell, who may or may not be cheating on her.

Auther Campbell
arthur_01.jpg
Joan's husband and department director. May be cheating on his wife.

Danielle Brooks
danielle_02.jpg
Danielle is Annie's older sister whom Annie lives with. Danielle is well meaning, and has so far set up Annie with one bad blind date that we know of. Thinks her sister works for the Smithsonian.

"I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
DragonPup on

• Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I watched it and enjoyed it. She doesn't have father issues as you say, but ..
    secret boyfriend is the same thing, imo.

It was pretty standard, but 2 things made me laugh:
    1) Dude with the mustache. That was hilarious. What kind of sister sets up her little sister up with a mustache like that.
    2) JoAnn's going to the NSA to futher persue her husband's "affair"

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Meaning to catch this. Haven't seen any yet but, just a curiosity based on the promo pictures. They even going to try and make the lead look like she could actually shoot someone/beat someone up? Rookie or not, she should look a little more capable of self-defense than a secretary.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    2 minutes in and I'm thinking:
    God, the bf better not be a spy.

I'm also wondering if this will get all nsfw on me.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Catalase wrote: »
    Meaning to catch this. Haven't seen any yet but, just a curiosity based on the promo pictures. They even going to try and make the lead look like she could actually shoot someone/beat someone up? Rookie or not, she should look a little more capable of self-defense than a secretary.

Piper Perabo said that she had to train in krav maga for the role, and that's a legit martial art that's used by military and law enforcement all around the world. That gives me some hope.

Anyway, as for the premiere, I'm intrigued, but I'm not completely sold yet. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see if I want to add it in to White Collar and Psych on my list of USA shows I watch on Hulu.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »

Piper Perabo said that she had to train in krav maga for the role, and that's a legit martial art that's used by military and law enforcement all around the world. That gives me some hope.

Anyway, as for the premiere, I'm intrigued, but I'm not completely sold yet. I'll give it a couple more weeks to see if I want to add it in to White Collar and Psych on my list of USA shows I watch on Hulu.

Krav Maga?

archer-fx-320.jpg

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Danielle Brooks
    danielle_02.jpg

Is that Cutthroat Bitch from House?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wonder how the actress feels about the fact that the role she's most known for is 'Cutthroat Bitch' :P

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes it is. Hopefully she won't get typecasted as "Cuthroat bitch" :p

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Eh, it was ok. kinda gave a similar blandish vibe to that witness protection one they have, and I'm not sure if the supporting cast can really carry it, though the lead wasn't that bad.

I think that they jumped into that sideplot with the boss a bit too early, before we'd actually care about them

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Boy, we sure love agents/police with the last name Walker, don't we? This is the third one on TV, right?

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I will be giving it another week or two before I decide if I want to follow this. There are too many spy/cop shows as it is...

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Boy, we sure love agents/police with the last name Walker, don't we? This is the third one on TV, right?

Walker and Shepard are great generic main character names.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »

Walker and Shepard are great generic main character names.

Not just any shepard, John Shepard

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A little bland but intriguing enough to keep me watching. Auggie is currently my favorite character by far.

I agree that the spent too much time on the bosses this early. But the show was 17 minutes longer than usual, too, so on re-airing some of that will certainly be cut.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The main character is pretty horrible.

Every supporting character is great.

I'm really not sure if I like this show. I'll have to give it a few episodes.

[/spoiler]Did anyone else notice that she didn't have a mark on her after her big fight scene? Punched in the face multiple times, choked at full strength multiple times. Nothing. Her sister just seems to think she had a bad day.[/spoiler]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    First (mid?) season just wrapped up last night. Watching the last episode right now but I'm glad I stuck with it after the pilot. It has been pretty entertaining and a nice variety of episodes.

(waiting for the Covert Affairs/Burn Notice crossover :) ).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Seems like you were the only one here who did stick with it. I'd like to hear some more opinions. I dropped it after the first ep, it didn't really grab me.

I'm hoping Undercovers will, though. >.>

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zetx wrote: »
    Seems like you were the only one here who did stick with it. I'd like to hear some more opinions. I dropped it after the first ep, it didn't really grab me.

I'm hoping Undercovers will, though. >.>

The thing you were afraid of was true.

I like the show because they do different spy stuff every week and try to keep it somewhat realistic (outside of the fact that a single person wouldn't be doing all of those jobs). It's fluff TV I wouldn't miss, but it is enjoyable enough.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I started with the third episode. It was some random day, I had just watched the latest burn notice on demand and it was also on the new release screen so I gave it a shot. It was ok. A few weeks later I decided to give it another chance but by this time the first two episodes had "expired" so I still haven't seen the pilot and follow up.

Anyway, the show seems to be missing something. Everything just seems kind of boring. Maybe it's Piper's acting, I don't know. I just find myself not really caring about any of what's going on. I still have yet to see the most recent episode, and it has seemed a little better now that they seem to be introducing a longer arc, but nothing I've seen so far makes me want to watch it live (i'mnot even sure when it's on, Tuesday?).

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Eh, I've been watching it, rather like it. Auggie is pretty awesome, and the damn opening theme song gets stuck in my head for days at a time. I finally had to look up the full thing, it's on the EP of some new band called Apple Trees & Tangerines, which is weird enough I suppose.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I agree the opening them is great

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Auggie was the only redeeming quality of this show. I gave up after three or four episodes.

If she just carried a goddamn gun, half of her problems would be solved. If she had a partner and/or knew how to actually fight/use a gun, that would solve the other half.

Seriously, in one episode they just assign a random agent with a gun to go along with her. When the bad guy pops up? He shoots the fucker in the head and saves the day. We never hear about Agent Hughes ever again. We immediately go back to everyone being astounded by how great the main character is at her job. Even though she is horrible at it in almost every way (she can actually drive a car pretty well).

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I believe most of the time she doesn't carry a gun because, you know, it doesn't fit her cover. If she was checked for such things, oops, blown!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Auggie was the only redeeming quality of this show. I gave up after three or four episodes.

If she just carried a goddamn gun, half of her problems would be solved. If she had a partner and/or knew how to actually fight/use a gun, that would solve the other half.

Seriously, in one episode they just assign a random agent with a gun to go along with her. When the bad guy pops up? He shoots the fucker in the head and saves the day. We never hear about Agent Hughes ever again. We immediately go back to everyone being astounded by how great the main character is at her job. Even though she is horrible at it in almost every way (she can actually drive a car pretty well).

are you talking about the subway scene.

cause if you are, then you are totally wrong and should have kept watching

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It is the best name. Everyone should have it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This show is ok, but living in the DC area there are numerous unintentionally-hilarious moments in each episode.

It's painfully obvious that it is being filmed somewhere in Canada. There have been numerous train station/airport scenes where the signs are English and French and there's no attempt to hide it. In exterior shots you often see phone booths Bell Canada logos, and at one point you see a street sign that says something like "18th St. N" (hint, DC streets aren't named that way). Most hilarious was a scene in which the main character is exiting the airport. In the distance you see the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and Capitol Building all in a line. For that view to be possible, the airport would need to either be in the middle of Arlington Cemetary or on top of a highrise in Rosslyn.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    All hail Vancouver and its affordable and friendly filming industry!

I'm sure if Burn Notice didn't need all the beach shots it would be filmed in Canada, too.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

I'm sure if Burn Notice didn't need all the beach shots it would be filmed in Canada, too.

You cant have mooses in miami.

mooses dont belong in miami

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

A good spy uses the environment around him or her to its fullest. If you have an animal on hand that's not typical to the landscape it is best used to confuse your enemy. Fire a shot in the air and watch your crazed distraction you borrowed from the local zoo make an opening for you and your team. The last thing a nicaraguan hit squad suspects is a moose on south beach.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »

A good spy uses the environment around him or her to its fullest. If you have an animal on hand that's not typical to the landscape it is best used to confuse your enemy. Fire a shot in the air and watch your crazed distraction you borrowed from the local zoo make an opening for you and your team. The last thing a nicaraguan hit squad suspects is a moose on south beach.

:^::^:

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Dammit... I was reading this in Michael's voice before I finished the first sentence.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dranyth wrote: »

Dammit... I was reading this in Michael's voice before I finished the first sentence.

I love how my inner monologue reverts to Michael's voice every now and then.

Anyway.

My wife likes Covert Affairs. And because she controls the remote in this household, I've caught a few episodes.

I don't really get why the blind hacker dude is blind. As in, I don't understand what plot device his blindness serves.

I don't understand how Agent Walker actually managed to become an agent. She's like, the worst spy in the history of spies.

I don't understand Private Webster's importance to the story. Granted, I didn't give the 2 hour season finale my fullest attention, but really, he kept popping up all season and I never figured out why he was important aside from, OMG Annie Walker was in love with him.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What I find really funny is that almost every episode she tells someone she works for the CIA--usually after busting them for something. She's blown her cover about 5 million times.

I mean, I don't work for the CIA or anything, but I think that if you're spying on someone and get some good shit, you have SOMEONE ELSE walk up to them in a restaurant and say, "nyah nyah we know you're selling state secrets!" Spying is not Candid Camera.

And as my wife keeps yelling at the TV -- STOP TAKING YOUR BRIGHT RED VW GOLF ON SECRET MISSIONS!!!

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't understand how Agent Walker actually managed to become an agent. She's like, the worst spy in the history of spies.

Your jokes are bad and you should feel bad.

I kinda like the show. It's no Burn Notice/Leverage/White Collar, but it's enjoyable in its own right.

RUNN1NGMAN, I did notice that craziness with the monuments. Most people won't know the difference though. ;-)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    are you talking about the subway scene.

cause if you are, then you are totally wrong and should have kept watching

No. The second or third episode, with the soccer player and his sister.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png