As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D]Only in Dreams - Act I: Dream Country

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Bedgar. Call me Bedgar. And right here's fine. I'll keep it short, since it looks like you have a brain on your shoulder. Now-"

"BEDGAR!"

The bellow came from behind your new acquaintance, from a massive half-orc, and yet Bedgar doesn't turn his head. He simply lowers it, grasping his brow for a second. Then he turns. "Look, Rock, you'll get your-"

He doesn't get a chance to finish, as he takes a solid blow to the jaw. "Time for excuses is over. Now is time for pain."

Bedgar looks up at Aemille. "Little help?"

Farangu on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai spun on her heel as she heard the all-too-familiar sound of a fist impacting a jaw. She dropped a handful of coins in the barkeep's hand, cutting their negotiations for a room short as the half-orc sent the human sprawling to the ground.

Wordlessly, she watched events unfurl, a faint breeze ruffling her hair. Her eyes skimmed the room, looking for anyone who might cause more violence if a fight should occur.
    Perception: Who looks s/well-armed/holding concealed weapons? Gwyn-Lai doesn't know! http://4e.orokos.com/roll/21418

Insight: Who looks dangerous and willing to fight? Insight: 1d20+1 20 Better!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai:
    Apparently this "Rock" is a recurring figure here, because no-one seems to be making any moves to assist the man on the floor.

There are a few figures that might look able to help, but time will tell if they actually will.

(Although hopefully they will, because they're the other players)

Farangu on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aemille takes a moment to gauge the situation before taking a step back and continuing to speak as if a violent outburst had never occurred.

"Rock, is it? I'm Aemille and it seems you already know Bedgar. Perhaps we could discuss what seems to be the problem over a shared drink? I find that a cool glass of spirits provided by a new friend does a lot to settle the nerves. Your business with my new friend can surely wait a few moments can't it?"

Aemille states all of this with cool confidence, but does it while speaking towards the other patrons in the bar and backing herself up nearly fifteen feet to the other end of the bar.

"Barkeep? Can I trouble you for a drink for myself and my new friend, Rock? I'll even sing a new song for you to drink to and then we can go our separate ways for a few moments..."

Aemille unsheaths her harp and adjusts her quiver of arrows at her side. Her soothing voice sings a short song that echoes throughout the inn.
    Diplomacy: 28

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    28? Damn.

"Rock's face mellows a little bit. "Rock like music." He sits at the bar, drink in hand, waiting patiently."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok...unfortunately that will have to be my last post for the weekend. Heading out the door for Tahoe as we speak (or I type and my fiance gives me dirty looks :P). Be back on Monday morning!

If someone else wants to do the heavy lifting conversation-wise with Bedgar though, we could assume I having my drink with Rock.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elle - or was she the Maiden now? even she didn't know - turned her head in the direction of the scuffle, leaning away from the bar and peering around Gwyn-Lai's shoulder to get a closer look at the lumbering brute and his unfortunate target. She'd been ready for a fight, her fingers drumming impatiently on the silver hilt of her rapier.

Much to her surprise, however, the situation apparently defused itself in a matter of seconds. "Gods be good," she muttered under her breath, within earshot of Gwyn-Lai and maybe Nimaran, "Did she slip him something?"
    that is some Extreme Diplomacy

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai shrugged, the fluid motion calming the breezes moving around her. "She... speaks well." She turned back to the bar and the maiden, where the barkeep had already poured her a drink, apparently acknowledging that she had paid too much for the room. She took a sip, enjoying the taste of the slightly-chilled drink, whatever it was.

The sound in the bar had gone back to the quiet murmur of before, and she was curious about the offered song. Actually talented minstrels had never frequented the Galloping Bucket, and the woman had a voice like an angel.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    ZaximusZaximus Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nimaran watched the scene unfold from the relative safety of the counter. He had no idea how that minstrel defused the situation so quickly and efficiently, but he made a note to himself - now there goes a showman. Or show-woman, rather.

The woman at the counter before exchanged words with a roguish-looking young maiden.
    "Gods be good. Did she slip him something?"
    "She...speaks well."

Nimaran chimed in, "Good thing we didn't have to see if she could fight just as well" as the music filled the tavern. Momentarily neglecting his business at the bar, Nimaran got some ice from the barman and moved to the human on the floor, who was still nursing his jaw.

"Hey. You all right?"
    "Uh. You want this ice?"
    Nimaran kind of just stands there, weakly offering the ice.
    Let's get these low rolls out of the way then, shall we?

Zaximus on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Inspired by the spontaneous song, Laineth drains her glass and reaches into her pack, pulling forth her lyre. Strumming a basic harmony, she sets a framework against which the bard's skill ascends to greater heights, raptly seizing the attention of all in attendance.
    Aid another on Diplomacy, take 10 = 21, +2 to the original Diplomacy roll = 30

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bedgar slowly stands up. "Yea, it'll be fine...had plenty worse done to..."

It is now that he begins to take stock of who surrounds him.

"You're an odd looking bunch. Especially that Genasi; don't get much visits from your realm. But while you're here, I think I can talk with all of you about the subject the little songbird and I were about to discuss. Although..."

He wobbles a little.

"...I think we will take that table in the corner this time."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It doesn't even occur to Nimaran to mention that he's not affiliated with anybody else at the bar. He is much too focused on the fact that this is one of the only times in years that he's made a free choice about his future.

"Wonderful. Let's talk," he says, as he follows Bedgar to the corner.

Zaximus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai almost refused, before remembering that she was here for a purpose. Perhaps this man would help her to her goal, or perhaps he would not. It was better than wandering blind, however. She walked to the corner behind the others, keeping a wary eye on the half-orc. If he decided to get angry again, she wouldn't let him hurt anyone else.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Laineth approached the bard when the song had completed. "That performance was magnificent. I've never heard a minstrel with such skill. Why, back in my home..." Laineth drifted off for a moment, a look of melancholy briefly passing over her face before she snapped back to reality. "Oh, excuse me! Where are my manners? My name is S-- uh, is Laineth." Flushing slightly, she extended her hand in a gesture of friendship.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elle the Maiden followed along behind the rest of the group as they made for the table, adjusting the gem-studded broach on her cowl. Maybe this guy would lead her to where she needed to be going... and it wasn't as if she had any other kind of lead at the moment. Her dream had only mentioned Ilsurian and what her final goal was - everything in between was a total blank.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bump

maek post!

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gah, I'm behind.

"Bedgar sits down at the table, joined by 5 strangers. He looks around the table at each of you before he proceeds.

"I'm not going to mince words; right now I'm sitting on the find of...well maybe not a lifetime, but I think it's pretty significant. I was strolling along Skull River, about a mile north of here, when I...heard something call out my name. Not like a person, but a light, female, almost sing-song voice. I thought I had lost my mind, but I kept hearing it call out to me. So eventually, I started to follow the voice. It led me through a meadow for a few minutes, getting louder and louder. Then, all of a sudden, it finally said, "Yes." Right as it said that, the ground started collapsing beneath my feat.

I had no clue what was going on, and I must have knocked my head on something. When I came to, I was in the middle of this little depression in the ground, like I was standing on something hollow. But the funny thing was, I was sitting right in front of what looked like a tomb entrance, or something. Then, I started hearing that voice again. But I figured I was running out of luck for the day, and came back here. The thing is, though...that entrance looked REALLY ornate and fancy. I bet there's some interesting things in there. I also bet that I wouldn't make it back out if I went in. But you five...you look like you've seen your fair share of horrors. So I'll lead you to the place, you clear it out if there's anything to clear, we split what we find. Sound good?" "

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nimaran listened to Bedgar's tale of discovery, and suddenly realized that he was in a situation completely over his head. Raiding an ancient catacomb? This was the kind of thing they wrote stories about - stories of heroes! But he was no hero. Just a few days ago he was a lowly assistant. Surely, running headlong into a treasure hunt armed with minor cantrips would be suicide. But as he tightly gripped his staff, he felt...stronger. Something was bolstering his arcane knowledge, and he felt that if he wanted to, he could summon forth magical energies stronger than anything Barnaby Rellin had ever summoned. He recalled the words from his vivid dream. "A cave," Raistlin said, "near Ilsurian."

Without quite realizing it, Nimaran's head began to nod in response to Bedgar's proposition.

Zaximus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Quickly realizing that seeking the missing cave would be a difficult task by himself, even with his sudden burst of confidence, Nimaran glanced around the table, hoping to convince the other potential adventurers to accept Bedgar's proposition as well.

"Come, friends!" he grinned. "Life is too short to wonder what could have been - what say we discover what fate has in store for us?" He removed his cowl, shaking out his long white hair. "But forgive me - I haven't even introduced myself. I am Nimaran," he proclaimed. Then, because it just felt right, "Wizard extraordinaire." He attempted to flourish his cloak but it got snagged on a corner of the table, nearly spilling a mug. He would need to work on that.
    bump :)

Zaximus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry for lack of updates. I'm preparing to move, and I have a job interview out of town right before I do so. Updates might be...sporadic on my end. You guys RP between each other, I'll advance the story when I can.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Summer shifts uncomfortably in her seat. "I don't know, it sound like it might be dangerous. Bedgar, can you tell us anything else about this tomb? Are there any local legends or tales that might explain such a thing?" Suddenly blinking, she then stammers, "Sorry, I keep forgetting courtesy. My name is Laineth. What brought you all to Ilsurian, if I may ask?"

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aemille finished her drink with the half-orc after a rousing song. She enjoyed all of the attention, but deep down, the piece of her that was still Stegra winced. Too many people, this is too much. Aemille kept this feeling in check and introduced herself to her new partners in conversation.

"Laineth, thank you for your compliment!" Aemille blushed, but it was a practiced blush. "Your playing was a wonderful compliment as well. I needed all the help I could to diffuse that situation." The half-elf appeared to be a formidable warrior of some sort. Her poise and demeanor suggested that she was no simple sell-sword mired in a backwater town.

From the moment she had entered The Drunken Ogre, Aemille couldn't help but cast a few glances at the Genasi. It was rare enough to see a member of that race, but Aemille could tell that she was exceptional as well. Even standing still, the woman had an uncanny grace; it seemed as if her every casual motion was as efficient as possible. Aemille didn't introduce herself just yet, but gave a pleasant wave as Bedgar explained the situation.

Another mystery was the woman with the feathered headpiece and jeweled blade. Aemille felt strongly that she should know this woman from somewhere, but it was like she was a half-remembered rumor or legend. The woman's fingers seemed to live at her sword and Aemille guessed that she knew her way around the backroads and double-dealers in some large town or another.

Nimaran drew a smile and a chuckle from Aemille, but despite his seeming clumsyness, she had little doubt as to his claims. The most formidable weapon in a gnome's arsenal is causing others to underestimate them. With his flourish, Aemille also introduced herself to the others and to Bedgar.

"Hello again Laineth. Hello, Nimaran. I am Aemille and this is Skitter." The magpie hopped onto the table, grabbed a loose piece of cloth from a napkin and placed it into Aemille's bag.

"Some folks call me The Nine Lives, but I myself would never use such a title. I am a simple minstrel who has seen some interesting things." The irony of announcing her nickname to the group while trying to remain modest was somewhat lost on Aemille, but the magpie eyed her suspiciously. Stegra, even in her madness, shuddered.

"As for what brought me here. Well...I guess you could say a hunch. I came seeking a pleasant bit of excitement and I find someone offering it and four extraordinary folks curious for mystery and adventure as well. Sehanine really must favor me today!"

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bedgar sees that you are all in concordance. "Great! You fine folk get some rest, and I'll come and grab you in the morning."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn nodded, still a bit nervous about actually speaking to someone. She did manage a smile towards Aemille, impressed by her raw musical talent. Most of her attention was focused on Bedgar and his story. If this was the lead towards the artifact her dream had spoke of... perhaps she would be able to continue on as Gwyn-Lai. And that, that would be a happy dream.

"In... morning, then." She sat at the table as Bedgar left, nodding at Laineth. "Gwyn-Lai. I follow... dream."

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tomorrow I leave for a job interview out of town. Updates when I can. In my wake though, I'll just leave the fact that I currently possess two guest passes for Starcraft II. Gets you 7 hours of free play. I'm posting this in all threads I'm involved in, so first two to PM me get them.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elle was too excited by the prospect to even consider protesting, regardless of how ridiculous the very concept was. Being drafted into exploring some potentially deadly tomb by some strange man she'd met not even ten minutes ago? The very idea was ludicrous. The old Elle would have had nothing to do with it.

But the Maiden was a new woman, a bold and daring one, and she was hardly one to balk at the danger. Perhaps this would lead her to that which she sought and keep her in this dream of hers for a little while longer. She'd do anything for that. "In the morning, then!" she agreed, rising to her feet and stepping back away from the table. "I trust to see you all here when I wake up."

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nimaran looked at the woman he saw at the bar earlier. Genasi! Of course. He wasn't sure how he missed it earlier, but this was the first time he had seen one up close. He leaned in across the table towards her.

"Excuse me, but...did you say you're here because of a dream?" Nimaran quickly glanced around the table to see if anyone else was just as surprised. Facing her again, he spoke, much quieter than usual. "I'm here because of a dream too." He looked around the table again to see if anyone thought him to be insane. To be honest, he wouldn't quite blame them if they did.
    Forgot to add - good luck Farangu!

Zaximus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    And I return. Thanks for your patience.

"As you each retire to your rooms for the night, a small thought crosses your mind: What if you wake up the next morning to find things the way they were before? You don't know if you can stand that thought. Fortunately, you do not have to, since you awake still in your changed form.

You congregate in the main hall to find Bedgar there, waiting for you. "Are we all set, then?" "

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai nods, watching the rest of the group carefully. Nimaran's mention of a dream earlier had put her on edge, she wasn't quite sure what was going on, but it unsettled her. Still uncomfortable with the sound of her own voice, she stood just a step further away from Bedgar than the others, trying to exclude herself from any conversation that was going on.

Making friends had never helped her before, after all. Everyone had a use or purpose, the only way she could stay free was by avoiding getting close to other people. At least... until she had gained the artifact so she could stay as Gwyn-Lai. After that, perhaps they could be friends.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Aye, we'd best be getting underway." Finishing the last of her breakfast, Laineth pockets a couple of the leftover rolls before adjusting her scabbard back to its proper place. Strangely (or perhaps not) the half elf seems a little more confident than yesterday, with a bit more swagger in her step. Looking to settle her tab with the innkeeper, she opens her belt pouch and pulls out some silver. "What d'I owe ye?"

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The innkeeper gruffly shakes his head. "Bedgar already settled it with me for all of you."

"That's right. A sign of good faith," you can hear Bedgar say.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aemille is the last of the group to make it into the common room, stifling yawns. Skitter settles on her shoulder as she overhears the innkeeper's remarks.

"Thank you, Bedgar." Aemille thumbs the few coins left in her purse and offers a quick prayer of thanks to her patron goddess. After a light breakfast of fruit and bread, she is ready to leave.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Bedgar takes you on a hike north of Ilsurian, about a few hours worth of walking. Suddenly, he leaves the road and heads into an open meadow. After you crest a hill, you do in fact see what looks like a cave-in, just as he described. You also see an opening descending downwards, with some delightfully grotesque reliefs in front of it.

Arcana > 20:
    The figures almost seem demonic in form. You can certainly tell that the rock is not of this world.

Bedgar stops at the edge of the hole. "I told you it looked right creepy. I'm just going to wait here while you guys do your adventuring thing. Just don't forget that when you come out, we get to talk about my finder's fee."

Before you guys head in, I would like, from each of you, a wishlist of what your characters would like to find in terms of treasure or items. In terms of items, four or five of them, with levels ranging from your current to up to five levels above yours. This list will last you a little while. Also, a quick note about whether your character would prefer gold or jewels, art pieces, or "other forms of gold."

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Wishlist:

Delver's Armor +1 (+2 at 8) or Healer's Armor +1.
    Any Songbow (Whistling +2 or Vanishment +1 or +2)
    Bracers of Archery.
    Resplendent Boots (really all the Resplendent stuff would be pretty cool for me).
    Bag of Holding.

I was also wondering if I could make a couple of last minute changes before they came up. I would like to switch my chain for hide armor. The +1 AC isn't worth the heavy burden and speed loss for me. I also accidentally saved my extra language as Goblin rather than Elven.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You can make sheet changes up until your first encounter.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Maiden impatiently thumbs the jewel at her throat as they travel, excited and anxious and scared all at once; her heart thumps in her chest like a hummingbird's and her stomach is tight from the stress of it, but if this is what it takes to maintain this dream then so be it. She'll tough it out - she's a big girl.

"With all respect, Bedgar," she says, stepping up beside him and peering down into the opening, "While we're down there your finder's fee is probably gonna be the last thing on our minds." She grins and claps him on the back with an open palm, the impact nearly sending him staggering into the hole. "But that's why we've got you here to remind us, right?"

Flowform Armor +1
    Iron Armbands of Power
    Boots of the Fencing Master
    Power Jewel
    Steadfast Amulet

Gonna go with jewels on the money option - they're easy enough to fence and easier to carry around than hundreds of gold pieces.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai peered around the entryway of the cavern, her eyes straining to see into the darkness, looking for danger ahead as the others bantered with Bedgar. Somewhere inside, it seemed very likely that the artifact she was looking for was at rest, and she had a feeling that something was going to go wrong. Everything was just... too perfect.

She shivered, shaking off the ill-feeling with a toss of her hair and a laugh, something that sounded almost musical given her usual broken speech. What could possibly stop her? She was Gwyn-Lai, now, free as the wind, with power and grace.

She made a gesture to the rest of the party, pointing clearly towards the entrance, then stepped inside, eyes still wary for any immediate threats to her well-being.
    Arcana on the reliefs - Arcana: 1d20+1 6 She's got no clue.

Perception to see inside: 1d20+1 16

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gwyn-Lai:
    You can't see too much as you step inside without some kind of light. All you can see is a hallway, leading straight ahead, angled slightly downwards.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "These reliefs are...something foul. I would guess Abyssal perhaps." Aemille shifted as she looked at them and into the hole where they would soon march. She lit a torch and peered towards the entrance.

I would also prefer my gold in the form of jewels or "other" light objects. 8 Strength doesn't give you much wiggle room before you hit heavy burden range.
    Arcana = 22
    Perception = 25
    Dungeoneering = 12

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aemille:
    You cannot see very far into the tunnel without some form of light. All you see is a tunnel, leading down and straight ahead.

Farangu on