As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3G and Wifi at PAX?

2»

• Options
    psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Doesn't T-Mobile use AT&T's towers?

But I'll be on T-Mobile as well. :P

I promise I'll tether my laptop only 50% of the time I'm in line, share our pipe equally... :)

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    From the sounds of it I'm going to throw my $15 AT&T GoPhone handset out the window and get something that's compatible with T-Mobile. Hope their prepaid data rates are reasonable.

And shit the T-Mobile store downtown closes 5 minutes before my plane even lands. Looks like I'll be phoneless for the first half of the MMT :(.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why not just get it before you fly?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PAX 2007, I was on Verizon and don't remember any problems with service (texting and calls only).

Like everyone else, last year on AT&T 3g was slow and roughly half my calls dropped inside. Outside, I didn't have many issues. I was too cheap to pay for hotel internet so I ended up using my phone for all my internet needs from Wed to Mon without issue.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Have to call them and find out if this is even possible. I don't exactly live near a T-mobile store.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    jaybirddogjaybirddog Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    60,000+ people in a 2 block area = everything is going to suck

It's not a tuma!

iPhone users in PAX = iPod Touch users in PAX

jaybirddog on
    --- 42 ---
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just over the freeway is the artsy student district of Seattle called Capitol hill, hoof it over and you can find a cafe with free wireless on every block.

Plugging my friends.

http://www.fairegallerycafe.com/

But yeah, I would say stick with the shops that have password protected wireless and rentable desktops with landlines.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    asleepypandaasleepypanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was fine on 3G last year and I have Verizon. Wifi sucked when I tried playing ANY ds games with people so I gave up.

asleepypanda on
    fss.png
  • Options
    disposablecompdisposablecomp Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Past two years I was on Verizon Blackberry Pearl and Storm and zero issues with 3g and I text/email/web way more than I ever call. Twitter was on top of its game. No wifi on those phones but I know my dsi on wifi was spotty. Pictochat would come and go.

disposablecomp on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Decius wrote: »

Have to call them and find out if this is even possible. I don't exactly live near a T-mobile store.

Not sure about prepaid, but I did something kinda like this. I bought a Google Nexus One with no cell service and no SIM card. I then called T-Mobile and ordered a SIM card only, with a $60/month month-to-month plan for 500 voice minutes (LOL), unlimited text, "unlimited" data. (above 10 GB/month is excessive, per their ToS.) SIM card arrived after a couple days. I then had to call them back and have them change the plan from blackberry-data to smartphone-data. It's worked great ever since.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I might try to find my Motorola radios because I remember how bad the cell reception was.

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The real question is will the WiFi allow a DSi to connect? I've tried to connect mine to my home wireless with various settings (No security, WEP, WPA, WPS... Nothing), three different local hotspots.

In each case, the DS *sees* the networks, can "connect" to them but my connection tests fail EVERY TIME. So no Mystery Gifts for me /sadface

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If the DSi has a web browser and can open a web page and agree to the terms and conditions of using PAXnet, then yes it can connect. I think.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    Mystery2UMystery2U Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

Not sure about prepaid, but I did something kinda like this. I bought a Google Nexus One with no cell service and no SIM card. I then called T-Mobile and ordered a SIM card only, with a $60/month month-to-month plan for 500 voice minutes (LOL), unlimited text, "unlimited" data. (above 10 GB/month is excessive, per their ToS.) SIM card arrived after a couple days. I then had to call them back and have them change the plan from blackberry-data to smartphone-data. It's worked great ever since.

That option is toast now, since Google closed the Nexus One store. Not many choices for unlocked smartphones right now. I'm on T-Mobile as well. Last year I had a BlackBerry Curve, this year I'll be sporting my sexy new Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S line). The Galaxy S phones this week got the honor of becoming the first DivX HD certified Android devices. Other than the Expo Hall, I had no problems with data last year.

--John

Mystery2U on
  • Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last year the connection was decent all over the convention center actually. We used it to search stuff out, so as long as you're not playing farmville or going to high bandwidth sites like Facebook and Myspace the speed isn't as horrible as you'd think.

etherealvision on
    Let there be games!
  • Options
    DustoManDustoMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    The real question is will the WiFi allow a DSi to connect? I've tried to connect mine to my home wireless with various settings (No security, WEP, WPA, WPS... Nothing), three different local hotspots.

In each case, the DS *sees* the networks, can "connect" to them but my connection tests fail EVERY TIME. So no Mystery Gifts for me /sadface

Just because it doesn't work at home doesn't mean it won't work DS-to-DS. You could still join in on the Pictochat/multiplayer fun!

DustoMan on
This discussion has been closed.