As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The aqcuisition of a new TV: Part Uno

PoyndexterPoyndexter Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal, I've had this CRT I'm using now for somewhere going on 12 years. It's time to put her to bed I'd say.

With my newly re-appropriated funds that the government so lovingly removes from my check ever week, I would like to buy a new TV.

I really don't want to spend more than six or seven hundred dollars, but I would like it to be of good quality.

I've found a RCA 30 in. CRT TV/Integrated HDTV, TruFlatâ„¢ / Widescreen, but haven't been able to find much in the way of consumer opinion. It's only $579, and looks to be a good deal.

I can't hotlink to sears website for some reason, but here are the specs:

Product Overview:
TV Type
Tube
Screen Size (by diagonal measure) more info
30 in.
Screen Aspect Ratio
Selectable 4:3 or 16:9
HDTV
Yes
Tuner Type
ATSC/NTSC (digital/analog)
Item Weight
118.0 lbs.
General Warranty more info
1 year
Jacks, IN-OUT:
Cable/Antenna Inputs, Number
Component Input Sets, Total Number
DVI Inputs, Number
None
Composite Video Inputs, Number
S-Video Inputs, Number
Analog Audio Output
Yes
Analog Audio Output, Type
Fixed/Variable
Digital Audio Output
N/A
Digital Audio Output Type
N/A
HDMI Inputs, Number more info
None
Other Audio Enhancements:
Watts per Channel
5 watts
MTS/SAP TV Stereo
Yes
Display, Resolution:
Maximum Resolution
N/A
Native Resolution
480i
Display, Enhancements:
Comb Filter Type
Digital, 5 line
Input Compatible
1080i/480p/480i/720p
Display, Adjustable Functions:
Color Temperature Control more info
Yes
Dimensions:
Height
28-7/10 in.
Width
42-3/5 in.
Depth
28-1/2 in.
Energy:
Energy Star Compliant
No
Included Remote:
Remote Control Type
Universal (pre-programmed multibrand)
Controls, Video:
2-Tuner Picture-in-Picture more info
N/A
Closed Captioning more info
Yes
On Screen Display (OSD)
Yes
Sleep Time (Switch Off) more info
Yes
V-Chip Program Lockout more info
Yes

So is it as good of a deal as I'm initialy inclined to believe? Or am I just buying in to more consumer hype. Also, the main reason I'm getting a new TV is for HD quality programing and content. If this TV handles higher resolutions like ass I'd like to know too.

Help me Obi wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

As always, thanks H/A.

‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
Poyndexter on

• Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I dont know if you live in canada, but i just bought this tv:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10078599&catid=

a few weeks ago and i really like it. Does SDTV well (Provided youre sitting away from it, about 6 feet... if you sit really close, like less than 4 feet, youll notice a difference between an SDTV and this tv) and HDtv looks really good. No lag during gaming, a fuckton of inputs (2 component, 2 composite, 1 VGA, 1 Coax and 1 HDMI) and decent sound. Its the cheapest LCD tv ive seen thats decent (Saw some cheaper models at tigerdirect, but they only did 540p (or is it i?) max) and i dont regret buying it at all.

If youre in the US, i hear costco has some really good TVs on right now in the 600 dollar range. Cant remember the name offhand but i cant imagine they have too many.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I live in Houston. Looking on the net there appear to be 2 Cosco's in town, but they're on the complete other side of town. I'm going to peruse their web-site and see what they have. It's not too far of a drive if I know they have what I want.

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fucking long url

Thats the one i was thinking of. It apparently gets favorable reviews.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That's funny, that's the one I just stumbled across myself. Do you happen to remember where you saw the reviews? Is Sceptre reputable for making good TV's?

Poyndexter on
    ‹^› ‹( •¿• )› ‹^›
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    do yourself a favor and look into Sony XBR36s. they're older so you're going to only find used ones but my room-mates and I have been absolutely amazed by how great our is (we paid like $800 almost two years ago). does 1080i and has a picture that has bested literally any other television I've seen under $2000.

kingmetal on