As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SOLVED] Letter of Resignation

Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the deal: I'm giving my two weeks notice to my boss today. I'm not on good terms with my boss or her boss, so I want to keep my letter as brief as possible. This is an adult job in an office, so even though I despise my job and co-workers, I'm doing this right by giving them time to transition.

[Boss's name]
[Title]
[Company]
[Address]

July 19, 2010

Dear [boss],

Please accept this letter as formal notification that my last day with [company] will be Friday, July 30, 2010.

Thank you for the opportunities you have provided me during my time with [company]. Please let me know if I can be of assistance during this transition.

Sincerely,

[Signature]

[Typed name]

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
Evil_Reaver on

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's fine

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yep, looks good.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cool. I don't quit jobs very often and I was never good at breaking up with girls so this process is still strange to me.

I'm good to go on this, so mods can lock or whatever.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing to consider would be having your boss sign a letter that you're leaving the company of your own volition and with a full 2 week notice, that way if there is any dispute in future interviews you can break out the signed letter.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing to consider would be having your boss sign a letter that you're leaving the company of your own volition and with a full 2 week notice, that way if there is any dispute in future interviews you can break out the signed letter.

That's not really something you're going to need, and if anything it says more to the prospective employer about the interviewee than the former employer. If someone calls to follow up on a reference, 99.99% of companies will just give "They were employed here from October 2007 to July of 2010." There's too much risk for them otherwise.

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I thought about it, but I'm quitting my job to go back to school. I won't have another job for 2 years, so I'm not worried about them trying to fuck me over, especially since I won't use these people for references and I'm not even going to be in the same profession.

I like the idea, though.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I suspect this is for some crappy job (e.g. retail). In which case, why bother with the formality?

Every shit job I've had, followed a pattern.

1. I got sick of the poor treatment.

2. One day, they crossed the line.

3. I told them, "Fuck this. I'm out of here".

They're usually surprised, but what can they do? Nothing. About half the places asked me to reconsider. One practically begged me and offered shorter hours, et cetera. But hey. They should have thought of that before they turned my internet off.

Don't worry about notice or bad references. I never got a bad reference in either the US or the UK. And as for notice, you can be sure that if they want you out, they won't give notice. I was only fired from one job. Notice period = zero. They treated me the same way I treated these other companies. One day it was just "Fuck you. Get out of here." You owe these companies nothing.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And yet, burning bridges solves nothing.

There's no reason not to be polite. You never know who those people know, and you probably have no idea where you'll be 10 years from now.

If something terrible happens with his going back to school and he needs a job again, even a terrible one, it can't hurt to not have these people hate you.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    LearnedHandLearnedHand Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

There's no reason not to be polite. You never know who those people know, and you probably have no idea where you'll be 10 years from now.

If something terrible happens with his going back to school and he needs a job again, even a terrible one, it can't hurt to not have these people hate you.

You're underestimating the sheer joy of just up and leaving and fucking these companies over. Even if it's just the slight inconvenience of them having to quickly hire a replacement for some easy-to-fill job.

Also, rarely (never really, but I know if I say "never", some "clever" person will give an example to the contrary) do companies hire people who already quit the company once. So there's no need to be polite.

LearnedHand on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Terrendos wrote: »

You're underestimating the sheer joy of just up and leaving and fucking these companies over. Even if it's just the slight inconvenience of them having to quickly hire a replacement for some easy-to-fill job.

Also, rarely (never really, but I know if I say "never", some "clever" person will give an example to the contrary) do companies hire people who already quit the company once. So there's no need to be polite.

Burning bridges for no reason is an awful idea. You never know who they may know, and you never know when it might come in handy to have that relationship intact.

A quick letter like the OP wrote is all that's needed.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LearnedHand is spewing the most horrificly goosey un-advice from his anti-anus I've possibly ever seen.

Do not, I repeat, Do not, get in the habit of flipping your boss the finger and leaving whenever you encounter work place trouble. worst advice ever.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Guys, guys, it's okay. I've got this.
    obama-got-this.jpg

1. It's a shitty job but it's not retail. Like I said, it's an adult job in an office. I work for a university in the IT department. I started as a field tech with the company two years ago but they demoted me to the call center when I started taking a couple of classes last fall.

2. My call center boss has been shitty to me for the year I've worked under her. I have plenty of reasons to quit, but the official reason for my resignation is that I want to go to school full-time and I can't do that with a full-time job.

3. I've walked out on a job once. It was awesome.

4. Even though I want to tell these people to go fuck themselves, I'd rather be civil and not burn any bridges if I don't have to. It's just not worth it at this point.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    It sounds like you're doing everything right, then. The thing about adult jobs at real offices is that while it doesn't always pay to be civil per se, it can definitely hurt you in the long run not to be.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn