As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It'd make more sense to make it a maxi-series separate from the core Bat titles IMO.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It seems like Snyder wants this to be his Year One

but he missed that Year One, while taking place in the main Batman title, was only four issues long

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I'm assuming this is also a convenient way for editorial to lay out all of the current batman's continuity, since it is so fucked right now.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    will bruce shirtlessly exposit to the reader

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is also a convenient way for editorial to lay out all of the current batman's continuity, since it is so fucked right now.

I'm cool with that. Any effort to nail down continuity is a step in the right direction.

• Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    I'm all for laying down a concrete timeline but 11 issues is a bunch.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I haven't been a big fan of Snyder's Batman but this could be good. Having an 11 issue arc devoted to Bruce's early years is a lot better than devoting 11 issues to fighting owls.

• Options
    Mr Pink wrote: »

They have a lot of timeline to show readers. Or at least, that's what I assume.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Batman-Robin-18-3.jpg
    D:D:D:

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It seems specially odd considering what just happened with Damian. I expected the mainline title to deal with the repercusions (I know "Batman and " is doing some od that).

Snyder didn't really use Damian, though.

Maybe this is his way of avoiding the fallout from whatever happens to the character, so that he doesn't have to suddenly start addressing that character's existence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    DC is going to let him lock down the main Bat-title in a flashback storyline for nearly a year? But what happens when it's time to implement the New 52 patented bi-annual sales gimmick like #0 month or WTF month or holofoil covers or whatever they come up with next?

On the plus side (spoilers for latest Batman Inc)...
    This might mean Harper Row doesn't get to be Robin anytime soon, since as far as I know she's only appeared in his books and a year-long flashback shouldn't be able to include her since he already did their first meeting.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    DC is going to let him lock down the main Bat-title in a flashback storyline for nearly a year? But what happens when it's time to implement the New 52 patented bi-annual sales gimmick like #0 month or WTF month or holofoil covers or whatever they come up with next?

On the plus side (spoilers for latest Batman Inc)...
    This might mean Harper Row doesn't get to be Robin anytime soon, since as far as I know she's only appeared in his books and a year-long flashback shouldn't be able to include her since he already did their first meeting.
    They might be setting her up to be the new Oracle or Oracle's new counterpart for the nu52.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    [imwsarama.com/images/Batman-Robin-18-3.jpg[img]D: D:D:[/img]

Man, Superman has good taste in movies, but it looks like he hasn't watched one made in the past twenty years.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Nope.
    Not even going to entertain the thought.
    Yeah, that's probably what they're going to do. But at least it is also delayed since it'd likely happen in Synder's book.

• Options
    Mr Pink wrote: »

They have a lot of timeline to show readers. Or at least, that's what I assume.

yeah this is sort of what i was getting at but forgot to actually say in my first post

11 issues is a long arc, but if DC's aim is to nail down a majority of this batman's history/continuity, well

yeah that'll probably take 11 issues

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I hadn't really considered the possibility that new 52 Batman's history was drastically different.

But now I'm thinking that they wouldn't bother with this unless Snyder was really going to change things, in which case I'm not really comfortable with him being able to define the character to such an extent for years to come. I like him, but I wouldn't peg him as somebody who understands Batman more than anyone else.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    current batman continuity is pretty different from before New 52. a lot of character straight up don't exist, tim drake was never actually robin i guess? all kinds of weird things

and if that is what this story is doing, i don't think it's Snyder coming up with and laying out batman's new history. that would be a very editorially handled affair, with snyder just writing the issues and giving input.

• Options
    There is some weird stuff regarding the Robins and Batgirls, but I wouldn't expect any of that to be covered in a story about the start of Batman's career. We'd be lucky to even see Dick Grayson, whose own tenure as Robin hasn't really changed as far as I know.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    BATWOMAN #21
    Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III and W. HADEN BLACKMAN
    Art by FRANCISCO FRANCAVILLA
    Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
    1:25 B&W Variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
    On sale JUNE 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Yes. Yes.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    so DC #21 has Harper in some sort of costume helping Batman....

Detective-Comics-21.jpg
    "Harper Row joins Batman on a case that leads all the way back to DETECTIVE COMICS #0, but will The Dark Knight be willing to accept her help? Illustrated by guest-artist Scot Eaton!"

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nooooooooo....
    Beryl, if anyone, should be a sidekick before Harper. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Also, doggies, the Batman Inc #12 solicit doesn't say "FINAL ISSUE" and certainly does not read like a final issue solicit.

So either Morrison is extending his run a couple more issues, or they're going to keep the book alive due to the hype and turn it over to someone else, ala Batman & Robin.

So all of this leads me to ask, what will the main Batman book be while Batman spends a year in the past? Batman and Robin isn't itself anymore, and even though Batman Inc caught the hype waves, I don't think it can lead the line while tying off a 7 year long pre-reboot storyline. Detective even seems unlikely, as Layman's run has been pretty low-key.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Also, doggies, the Batman Inc #12 solicit doesn't say "FINAL ISSUE" and certainly does not read like a final issue solicit.

So either Morrison is extending his run a couple more issues, or they're going to keep the book alive due to the hype and turn it over to someone else, ala Batman & Robin.

So all of this leads me to ask, what will the main Batman book be while Batman spends a year in the past? Batman and Robin isn't itself anymore, and even though Batman Inc caught the hype waves, I don't think it can lead the line while tying off a 7 year long pre-reboot storyline. Detective even seems unlikely, as Layman's run has been pretty low-key.

I think it was confirmed a while ago that inc would be continuning, and I'm thinking that it will be Morrision's last issue as he is DRAWING! the variant for the issue as well.

I think Detective might be the "main" current timeline books, because they even let Harper appear in it.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Replacing Damian so soon?

Ice cold DC.

I'm not a hardcore DC/batman fan, so I'll probably let any flashback issues pass me by.

Might keep picking up night wing.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »
    BATWOMAN #21
    Written by J.H. WILLIAMS III and W. HADEN BLACKMAN
    Art by FRANCISCO FRANCAVILLA
    Cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
    1:25 B&W Variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III
    On sale JUNE 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Yes. Yes.

God damn.

This entire thing with Snyder's "Zero Year" or "Year Zero" or whatever is super-weird but I will probably put down money for it anyhow.

Also,
    of fucking course Superman loves To Kill a Mockingbird. My Left Foot came as more of a surprise though.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Also,
    of fucking course Superman loves To Kill a Mockingbird. My Left Foot came as more of a surprise though.
    Supes also is a Metallica fan (and fan of metal in general) who owns every album.
    Batman and J'onn J'onzz are fans of Sailor Moon.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Batman-Robin-18-3.jpg
    D:D:D:

I feel stupid. Who is C.K.? EDIT: Er heh never mind

Also an eleven issue Batman Zero sounds terrible. It's time to bring Harper Row into the game!

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    What else has Morrison drawn? The only thing I've seen is the layout sketches he did for Dave McKean for Arkham Asylum (which are...surprisingly not bad?)

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpPHffldws
    1:28 for a superman drawing of his

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Grant Morrison also drew sketches of the main characters in Seven Soldiers and I think stuff for Final Crisis too.

• Options
    He actually drew a lot before he decided to dedicate himself to writing and the way he writes is he draws the entire comic and then writes the script and gives it to the artist without the drawings.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Wow, that Superman is actually really good.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I really, really doubt Zero Year is going to be entirely in flashback.

I expect framing devices all up in that shit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I was about to make a post in another thread that I am more of a writing fan than an art fan, in that I'll buy a book based on who is writing it alone, but not for who is drawing it.

I think Francavilla is the exception to this I cannot get enough of his style.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    What else has Morrison drawn? The only thing I've seen is the layout sketches he did for Dave McKean for Arkham Asylum (which are...surprisingly not bad?)

A lot of comic writers are also decent artists.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Bendis and Remender both started out as artists

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I really, really doubt Zero Year is going to be entirely in flashback.

I expect framing devices all up in that shit.

He was saying up until the end of DotF that his next story was a Riddler story.

I'd guess it still is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I just read Batman, and I think I'm done with the Bat books until they get a green lantern style shake up because currently I'd say that next to young Justice, Batman is DC's weakest line. Other than Redhood and Batwoman all the books feel too similar, and Inc is the only one I can say I like.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't know how I feel about Harper suddenly being super tough and physical. I mean who the hell can keep up with tracking batman like that? Suddenly she's swinging from roof top to roof top? Shit's hard. I guess they're G'ing her up to be the next robin/batgirl which is a shame I would have preferred her as a bat-engineer!

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png